Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bed Sheets as Backing Question >

Bed Sheets as Backing Question

Bed Sheets as Backing Question

Old 01-17-2014, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
Not sure why this would make a difference. Unless the sheet has a directional print, you can lay your quilt top on it either way.
GMTA. I replied much the same before seeing your reply.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:29 AM

I go with tartan's reply. Some are very hard to quilt through, some are ok. You can by muslin pretty cheap on sale. Diane c
Old 01-17-2014, 06:47 AM

Thank you "GrannieAnnie and PaperPrincess" for pointing out my dum question. The sheet is to short and I was hopeing that if I toke the hem and top out it would work . I do know that I can use it either way. but as the sheet that I was hopping to use is a directional print It dose need to go in the right direction. again thanks for you help and I'm sorry that I don't add that to my frist post. but I just don't think I needed to be point that out. Sorry

Last edited by sweetpea; 01-17-2014 at 07:01 AM.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:05 AM

My long armer says she prefers nothing over 400. I usually buy my sheets for quilt backs at target. They sell the flat sheets separately and they are so soft. They are pretty inexpensive to start and sometimes you can find them on sale, also they come in several colors. I have also never had a problem with these sheets being big enough. A queen sheet fits a queen quilt. I have had problems with other sheets being too small. http://www.target.com/p/threshold-ul...erm=flat+sheet
Old 01-17-2014, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
I too have a question about useing sheets. I have a sheet that the package say's is it 108x102 but I'm hoping that somebody can tall me if the 102 is on the top and botton or the side. It is new in the packings and If will not work i need to be able to take it back.
I don't know about others, but I always remove the seams on the sheet with my ripper before I use them, This makes it slightly bigger than the measurement on the package depending on the type of sheet you buy.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by leggz48 View Post
I use sheets as backing about half the time.......the ones I use most often are Walmart brand 200 thread count. They are either cotton or a poly/cotton blend. They are stable enough to work with and soft enough to be comfortable. I usually buy a King for approximately $15 and use the excess for borders and/or binding. It works great but I always cut off all hems and selvages, square it up, before I start putting it with the quilt.

I've heard that the higher thread count, being more dense, can be a bad idea because the needle will break the fabric threads since they are so close together .....whereas on a lower thread count the needle will go between threads. Whether that is true or not, I don't know; but it makes a good story.
I often use sheets as backs, and agree that the 200 or 300 thread count is best. It is true that needles can break the fabric threads in really high thread count fabrics. The idea that higher thread count is better is a Myth of urban legend proportion. Only so much thread will fit into an inch. A thread count of anything over 400 is achieved by using finer and finer threads. It's equivalent to using 100 wt thread instead of 20 wt.

Sweetpea, your sheet is 108" wide. But does it really matter? In reality your usable fabric will be 108 x 98 (est) because of the wider hem on one edge. You will have to open that up or cut it off. Unless it is a directional print that must go one way, it shouldn't make a difference which way you turn the usable fabric.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:39 AM

I'm just thrilled to see that no one on here was fussing about people using sheets as backing!! Maybe the "quilt police" decided to remain quiet this time!!!
Old 01-17-2014, 10:02 AM

The idea of flannel sheet for backing sounds absolutely wonderful. Do you think it would make a huge difference since I dont prewash my top material.. ( i like the wrinkly shrinkage look). will the back just kinda shrink up with the top after I wash it.. even though it wouldnt actually "shrink" - being a sheet?
Old 01-17-2014, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by peacefulquilting View Post
I'm just thrilled to see that no one on here was fussing about people using sheets as backing!! Maybe the "quilt police" decided to remain quiet this time!!!
I was waiting for it too.

My only bad experience was by using a tightly woven fabric (a duvet cover) when I was FMQ, I had problems with skipping. When I was on my blocks, all was fine, but as I was on the sashing, I had problems. The sashing was the very tightly woven, dense fabric. The tightly woven felt wonderful, but it did make things more difficult. It's not an urban myth.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:34 AM

I have hand quilted quilts my DM made 30 to 40 years ago using sheets for backing and they are all still in perfect shape through a lot of use and washing's.