Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Bedsheets for backing

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelley
    I've used every white thread in the place, top and bottom. I've adjusted tension, speed. I've even said bad words (then promptly apologized - my studio is in a former church). I use a practice piece on the side and get beautiful stitches, with every combination of threads. Move to the quilt and get [email protected]!! Huge skips.
    Have you tried changing the needle size? I'm thinking a size larger needle, and possibly a sharp (to pierce the sheet threads) rather than a universal type (which is supposed to separate the threads), might work better.

Quote Originally Posted by Suz
    I recently received a packet from American Patchwork encouraging me to purchase their book. In it was several inserts of interest and quoting from one insert regarding using bedsheets for backing:

"Using bedsheets to back your quilts? DON'T DO IT!

Sheets have a high thread count, which forces your quilting needle to break the sheet's threads as it pierces through. This leaves holes in your backing and diminishes the stability of your sheet.

Quilting fabric has a looser weave, which allows your needle to easily slide between the threads and keeps your backing fabric in tact."

Just thought you'd like to hear their opinion. Suzanne
    i must have gotten the same piece of mail from them! I want to machine quilt in sections, so using a sheet is not my thing, and also don't want different weights of fabrics in my quilts. just me. :D

Quote Originally Posted by BlueChicken
    I guess it goes back to what the quilt will be used for.... if you're creating a family heirloom to be passed from generation to generation, then maybe a bed sheet is not appropriate for the backing. But for an everyday quilt that the kids will use, maybe it's ok.
    That's sounds about right to me...touch wood, Blue...LOL! :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by Shelley
    SOME sheets work just fine. Others cause major problems. I have one on the machine right now, and I'm at a loss what to do.

It's an old (previously) hand quilted quilt. Some of the threads have worn away, and she just wanted me to put machine quilting in the missing areas. This quilt has been wash numerous times. It's been well used - some of the embroidery has been worn away, too. It has a very thin cheap batting.

It was one of her first quilts, and she's been doing this a long time now.

I've used every white thread in the place, top and bottom. I've adjusted tension, speed. I've even said bad words (then promptly apologized - my studio is in a former church). I use a practice piece on the side and get beautiful stitches, with every combination of threads. Move to the quilt and get [email protected]!! Huge skips.

If it weren't for previous bad results with sheets, I wouldn't know the problem. For the charity quilts, all of us who use the longarm to quilt them have said no more sheets, unless they are flannel. It's not worth the hassle.
    Shelley, i like hearing what our long-arm quilters think, because you know more than anyone from experience, so it's good to know your experience. I use bedsheets for my backs and my fronts, but i think if i was doing a quilt with all nice quilters cotton, i think too maybe i'd want the back to be same quality as the front. So much to see in everyone's point i think :)

I used a sheet one time and it seems to be doing just fine.

I've thought about using bed sheets for backing but haven't. Think I may give it a try. Especially for Queen and King size quilts. It would sure make things a lot more easy than figuring out how much you need for backing then cutting and sewing to make the right size.

wow..i would have never thought using a sheet would be good!!!! interesting to hear all the different ideas...
    :wink:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2