Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Bernina 580

Bernina 580

I am seriously considering buying a pre-owned Bernina 580. Does anyone have this machine and can share their thoughts I would appreciate it.

Power Poster
    I have the 440 which is considered a workhorse by my Bernina dealer. I think the 500 series replaced the 440 but I do not have any experience with that series. If the machine is preowned, check if the warranty is transferable or if it is past warranty. Is it from a shop that will give you support or someone else?

Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs
    Blog Entries
    Here are some reviews from owners of the machine.

https://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-bin/fuzzysearch.pl
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it difficult to plan the day.

Kris

I would go try bernina out. They are nice machines but for the money they cost you need to bond with it. I didn't care for the 5 or 7 series at all. I like the Q20 though.
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

Blog Entries
    I have owned about 7 Berninas. I started with the 1020 which is the last of the mechanicals just before the computerized ones. I loved the 1020 as it had needle up/down and seemed to sew no matter what the weather or kind of thread I had. My rag rug business was booming and I would have employees sewing the ends of the fabric together.

Then I bought one of the cheaper computerized models when they came out. I returned it, I hated that machine so much. I went back to ebay and began buying more 1020's.

The business sold with all the machines except for one which I still have. Since I was not a good sewing machine mother, I would ride them hard and put them away wet. (Horse llingo) This last machine has had a new hook, and recently spent some time at a shop. I think it it trying to wear out.

So the bottom line is that the older machines are good ones, but I could never get along with the computers.

I've read several reviews about bobbin problems with the new line of Berninas. I don't own a new one. I have a 1530 (made in 1992) that I absolutely love.

Blog Entries
    Where are you reading reviews? I’m also concidering a Bernina, the new 480 , and would love to read reviews.
    Quote Originally Posted by IrishgalfromNJ View Post
    I've read several reviews about bobbin problems with the new line of Berninas. I don't own a new one. I have a 1530 (made in 1992) that I absolutely love.
    “Be the change you wish to see in the world.”
    ~Mahatma Ghandi

When the "old" 5 Series first came out, they had issues. They experimented with things. The new "Next Generation" 5 Series is awesome! It's like they worked all the bugs out, and got it right.

When the 8 Series first came out, it was a disaster. They had dealers replacing 20 parts, rotated the hook 30 degrees, re-designed the bobbin case and had repeated firmware updates. The new 880s are fixed, but they're so over-engineered, you have to be a rocket scientist to run it.

The 7 Series is the product of all of that trial and error. The 790 is my dream machine! I had to sew 12 layers of denim at the store on Monday, and it did it without a hitch.
    Annette in Utah

Blog Entries
    I recently bought a B570 QE to replace my 153 QE, and I really don't like it. I thought the dual feed, stitch regulator, larger harp, and larger bobbin would be wonderful, but they aren't. I think my precision piecing is suffering from the wider spaced feed dogs. I will never do any machine embroidery, so I don't need that feature. My 153 was called a sewing computer instead of a sewing machine, but the 570 is more of a computer. Nothing seems intuitive to me. I wish I hadn't spent all that money.

Leslie