Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bernina 580 or Babylock ellageo Plus?

Blog Entries

Bernina 580 or Babylock ellageo Plus?

I need to make a decision by next Thursday on which machine I am going to buy....Bernina 580 or Babylock Ellageo Plus. I need help deciding. Do you own either of these? I need your likes/dislikes, pros/cons, favorite features, wished you would have known........
    I know Berninas are more expensive, but for the purpose of this decision, don't consider the cost. Also, please only feedback on these Two machines so I don't get confused and overwhelmed.

Most important to me in choosing: machine piecing and quilting, free motion quilting ease and quality, etc. I will do some embroidery but that is not the main feature for me.
    Help! Give me your opinions, thanks.
    The expert's mind has no room to learn while the beginner's mind is free to know everything....

Go with the machine that offers "guide classes" to learn all the features and that has the best warranty! Personally I love Bernina.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alleyoop1 View Post
    Go with the machine that offers "guide classes" to learn all the features and that has the best warranty! Personally I love Bernina.
    They both offer free classes after purchase. But really that is too late. More important to know the features, etc before you buy, don't you think? I believe warranties are comparable.

Yes I love Bernina also and my "newest" machine is my Bernina 1130 I purchased in 1989. Lol!
    Last edited by Cogito; 06-08-2013 at 05:45 AM.
    The expert's mind has no room to learn while the beginner's mind is free to know everything....

I have the Bernina 440QE, and am not familiar with the 580, but if it has the BSR then I would definitely go with the Bernina. I bought the 440 partly because of the BSR. It made FMQ so much easier for me. Now I quilt on a longarm, but I still love my Bernina.

I have sewn on both a babylock and a bernina. I would choose the babylock. I personally didn't care for the bernina. babylocks are way easy to use, and have more features for the cost. Many love berninas but I was not impressed and thought they were way overpriced for the amount of features offered. I owned a babylock for almost 3 years before I upgraded and absolutely adored my espire before I upgraded to my brother. I am a diehard brother lover, and since many babylocks are made by brother especially the TOL ones I highly recommend them. The embroidery is easy to use right out of the box, whereas berninas you will have to take mastery classes to really understand how to use the machine. I have sewn on my brothers for 20 years and have never had any problems out of any of my machines. I am not sure what machine the ellageo is on the brother side, but brothers are well made, give an awesome straight stitch, lovely piecers.
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

I have the Ellago and love it. The Ellago uses the pes format embroidery designs. The pes format is available most everywhere that sells designs. Some of the formats are only available from a dealer that sells the particular brand machine. Another thing is my machine is less than five years old. Shortly after I purchased it the new model (plus) came out and I was able to buy the upgrade software to make it a plus. The software package included the new feet that were included with the new plus model. (Also it is all about the dealer and how good and friendly they are.)

I have sewn on both a babylock and a bernina. I bought Babylock Ellageo Plus it had larger hoops.

I have an Ellageo and absolutely love it. I had the option of going for free classes but never went and the machine is so user friendly. Just play around and get used to it and works great. The computer screen on the machine guides you through steps and has a "help" feature that really does help. I've had no problems at all. Good luck with your decision.

Blog Entries
    I love love love my Ellageo Plus. I have a great dealer that helps me with every question plus a free weekly workshop. As far as the actual machine it is wonderful. I just wish the Spirit had been available when I got my machine a few months ago. I really didnt need another sewing machine, however the sewing part of it is great. Now that Im really into embroidery I wish it cut jump stitches. Im just lazy! Not a deal breaker!

Actually the big draw for me buying the Spirit was cutting the jump stitches. Sometimes I will want to embroidery something that will have lots of threads to cut and I will pass on the design. Hope the Spirit makes me want to stitch everything while sewing on my Ellageo!

I have had my Bernina 580 for a little over a year. It is my third Bernina and I love it best of them all! I haven't had one single issue with it and I sew something everyday. I bought it when I retired and I expect it will be my last one. Babylock machines are really fine, too, so my advice to you would be to try them both out and give LOTS of consideration to the relationship you'll have with the dealer and the support you will need as you learn to use your new machine. Best of luck in making your decision. I don't think you'll go wrong with either choice. Betty

Blog Entries
    I appreciate everyone's input. This is really helping. It is bringing up other questions for me, lol! For instance a main feature I want is stitch regulation for free motion quilting. I know the Bernina has the BSR. The Babylock dealer told me the zellageo plus has something similar, they just can't call it stitch regulation but it has "fabric sensor". I think that is odd because my grace frame for my frame machine uses something called "sure stitch" and it regulates the stitches for even stitch length. I can't find anything on the Ellageo Plus that appears to regulate stitches. It seems that the fabric sensor only senses the fabric and adjusts the pressure foot based on thickness. How would that ensure even stitching?

Also, what is jump stitch cutter and how important is it? I have never embroidered so don't really understand this term. I see the Bernina 580 has it and the Ellageo Plus doesn't?

Blog Entries
    I have the Ellageo sewing/embroidery 2001 model and still performs beautifully.
    Jeanne

Jump stitches are when the same color thread goes to another portion of the design. It connects with a long or short thread depending on the distance between. The big ones are quick to trim away but the tiny ones take a bit more time. On my Ellageo I have to trim them away. Some machines automatically cut them. It is not hard to do but it does take a bit of time.

Did you make a decision on your new machine?

Blog Entries
    I have not made a decision. The baby lock Ellageo Plus does not have stitch regulation and to get that I have to go up to a more expensive model. I can get the Bernina 580 for $5800 and the Babylock would be in the $7000 range. I missed the window for the Bernina sale but the dealer said another will arrive in the fall. I really wanted the Ellageo because of some cool features and it was cheaper than the 580 but my main criteria was stitch regulation.....
    so I am torn and don't know what to do!
    Last edited by Cogito; 06-22-2013 at 05:33 AM.

Wow, when I called our local Babylock dealer, I was quoted a price of $4000 for the Ellageo Plus.
    Heather

I don't know either of the machines but for free motion quilting - I would look for the one with the largest throat space - its just another consideration.

The local dealer has a terrific deal on the Ellegante 3 and the price is about the same as the Ellageo. I suspect they will be having the same sort of deal lots of places. It is the model above the Ellageo Plus.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Raggiemom View Post
    Wow, when I called our local Babylock dealer, I was quoted a price of $4000 for the Ellageo Plus.
    Thats about right. Work a deal. I paid cash and got a good discount. Cant say enough goid things about my Ellagio Plus. I have a very good dealer with an amazing helpful inforned staff. And, someone is always in the store available to answer my stupid questions!
    Last edited by snipforfun; 06-22-2013 at 11:36 AM.

Personally, I would buy the Janome 12000.

Blog Entries
    Very interesting that there are such price differences....now I feel I wasn't being offered a very good deal even though I was told I was getting a better deal than general public....so next question then is......what Babylocks have y'all bought in this past year and how much did you spend? I had no idea there were such differences. I am glad now that I have held off.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito View Post
    I have not made a decision. The baby lock Ellageo Plus does not have stitch regulation and to get that I have to go up to a more expensive model. I can get the Bernina 580 for $5800 and the Babylock would be in the $7000 range. I missed the window for the Bernina sale but the dealer said another will arrive in the fall. I really wanted the Ellageo because of some cool features and it was cheaper than the 580 but my main criteria was stitch regulation.....
    so I am torn and don't know what to do!
    Baby Lock has a new add on stitch regulator that can be used with the Ellageo Plus. It is shown on their website as an accessory and which machines it can be used with. Its pretty neat!

The Bernina 580 is an awesome sewing machine, but the BL Ellageo has more throat space, larger decorative stitches which can be used for quilting & is easier to master, as long as you're happy with the straight stitch quality & tension. Either way, you're getting a great machine. Best of luck with your new toy!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by franklindixie View Post
    The Bernina 580 is an awesome sewing machine, but the BL Ellageo has more throat space, larger decorative stitches which can be used for quilting & is easier to master, as long as you're happy with the straight stitch quality & tension. Either way, you're getting a great machine. Best of luck with your new toy!
    FranklinDixie, what do you mean by "as long as your happy with the stitch quality and tension....has there been issues with this in the Babylock?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast