Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina 580 or Babylock ellageo Plus? >

Bernina 580 or Babylock ellageo Plus?

Bernina 580 or Babylock ellageo Plus?

Old 06-08-2013, 05:07 AM

Default Bernina 580 or Babylock ellageo Plus?

I need to make a decision by next Thursday on which machine I am going to buy....Bernina 580 or Babylock Ellageo Plus. I need help deciding. Do you own either of these? I need your likes/dislikes, pros/cons, favorite features, wished you would have known........
I know Berninas are more expensive, but for the purpose of this decision, don't consider the cost. Also, please only feedback on these Two machines so I don't get confused and overwhelmed.

Most important to me in choosing: machine piecing and quilting, free motion quilting ease and quality, etc. I will do some embroidery but that is not the main feature for me.
Help! Give me your opinions, thanks.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:19 AM

Go with the machine that offers "guide classes" to learn all the features and that has the best warranty! Personally I love Bernina.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by alleyoop1 View Post
Go with the machine that offers "guide classes" to learn all the features and that has the best warranty! Personally I love Bernina.
They both offer free classes after purchase. But really that is too late. More important to know the features, etc before you buy, don't you think? I believe warranties are comparable.

Yes I love Bernina also and my "newest" machine is my Bernina 1130 I purchased in 1989. Lol!

Last edited by Cogito; 06-08-2013 at 05:45 AM.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:39 AM
Power Poster

I have the Bernina 440QE, and am not familiar with the 580, but if it has the BSR then I would definitely go with the Bernina. I bought the 440 partly because of the BSR. It made FMQ so much easier for me. Now I quilt on a longarm, but I still love my Bernina.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:59 AM

I have sewn on both a babylock and a bernina. I would choose the babylock. I personally didn't care for the bernina. babylocks are way easy to use, and have more features for the cost. Many love berninas but I was not impressed and thought they were way overpriced for the amount of features offered. I owned a babylock for almost 3 years before I upgraded and absolutely adored my espire before I upgraded to my brother. I am a diehard brother lover, and since many babylocks are made by brother especially the TOL ones I highly recommend them. The embroidery is easy to use right out of the box, whereas berninas you will have to take mastery classes to really understand how to use the machine. I have sewn on my brothers for 20 years and have never had any problems out of any of my machines. I am not sure what machine the ellageo is on the brother side, but brothers are well made, give an awesome straight stitch, lovely piecers.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:13 AM

I have the Ellago and love it. The Ellago uses the pes format embroidery designs. The pes format is available most everywhere that sells designs. Some of the formats are only available from a dealer that sells the particular brand machine. Another thing is my machine is less than five years old. Shortly after I purchased it the new model (plus) came out and I was able to buy the upgrade software to make it a plus. The software package included the new feet that were included with the new plus model. (Also it is all about the dealer and how good and friendly they are.)
Old 06-08-2013, 06:39 AM

I have sewn on both a babylock and a bernina. I bought Babylock Ellageo Plus it had larger hoops.
Old 06-08-2013, 03:05 PM

I have an Ellageo and absolutely love it. I had the option of going for free classes but never went and the machine is so user friendly. Just play around and get used to it and works great. The computer screen on the machine guides you through steps and has a "help" feature that really does help. I've had no problems at all. Good luck with your decision.
Old 06-08-2013, 03:24 PM

I love love love my Ellageo Plus. I have a great dealer that helps me with every question plus a free weekly workshop. As far as the actual machine it is wonderful. I just wish the Spirit had been available when I got my machine a few months ago. I really didnt need another sewing machine, however the sewing part of it is great. Now that Im really into embroidery I wish it cut jump stitches. Im just lazy! Not a deal breaker!
Old 06-08-2013, 04:01 PM

Actually the big draw for me buying the Spirit was cutting the jump stitches. Sometimes I will want to embroidery something that will have lots of threads to cut and I will pass on the design. Hope the Spirit makes me want to stitch everything while sewing on my Ellageo!