Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Bernina 580 or Babylock ellageo Plus? >
  • Bernina 580 or Babylock ellageo Plus?

• Bernina 580 or Babylock ellageo Plus?

Old 06-23-2013, 06:23 AM

Personally, I would buy the Janome 12000.
    Old 06-23-2013, 07:18 AM

Very interesting that there are such price differences....now I feel I wasn't being offered a very good deal even though I was told I was getting a better deal than general public....so next question then is......what Babylocks have y'all bought in this past year and how much did you spend? I had no idea there were such differences. I am glad now that I have held off.
    Old 06-23-2013, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Cogito
    I have not made a decision. The baby lock Ellageo Plus does not have stitch regulation and to get that I have to go up to a more expensive model. I can get the Bernina 580 for $5800 and the Babylock would be in the $7000 range. I missed the window for the Bernina sale but the dealer said another will arrive in the fall. I really wanted the Ellageo because of some cool features and it was cheaper than the 580 but my main criteria was stitch regulation.....
    so I am torn and don't know what to do!
    Baby Lock has a new add on stitch regulator that can be used with the Ellageo Plus. It is shown on their website as an accessory and which machines it can be used with. Its pretty neat!
    Old 06-23-2013, 01:09 PM

The Bernina 580 is an awesome sewing machine, but the BL Ellageo has more throat space, larger decorative stitches which can be used for quilting & is easier to master, as long as you're happy with the straight stitch quality & tension. Either way, you're getting a great machine. Best of luck with your new toy!
    Old 06-23-2013, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by franklindixie
    The Bernina 580 is an awesome sewing machine, but the BL Ellageo has more throat space, larger decorative stitches which can be used for quilting & is easier to master, as long as you're happy with the straight stitch quality & tension. Either way, you're getting a great machine. Best of luck with your new toy!
    FranklinDixie, what do you mean by "as long as your happy with the stitch quality and tension....has there been issues with this in the Babylock?
    Old 06-23-2013, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by snipforfun
    Baby Lock has a new add on stitch regulator that can be used with the Ellageo Plus. It is shown on their website as an accessory and which machines it can be used with. Its pretty neat!
    Snipforfun, an add on stitch regulator? That would be awesome! I don't think my local dealer knows that. I will check it out. Thanks for letting me know.
    Old 06-23-2013, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Cogito
    Snipforfun, an add on stitch regulator? That would be awesome! I don't think my local dealer knows that. I will check it out. Thanks for letting me know.
    Here is the site where it shows the compatible machines. One of which is the Ellageo Plus. Ive already tried it but dont know the price. http://babylock.com/accessories/stit..._ID=BLTS-BLSOG
    Old 06-23-2013, 03:59 PM

Dealer support is a good thing. I have a Bernina though not the new 580. I have taken an embroidery class with the 580 though, and I liked it very much. The BSR that Bernina has is also fantastic. We have a really good, full service quilting shop here in town that sells, services and supports Berninas. I have not owned or used a Babylock.

Steve
    Old 06-23-2013, 04:30 PM

Hi Cognito. I actually work at a multi-brand sewing machine dealership. I personally own both BabyLock and Bernina (among other) brand of machines, but...as a quilter, I'm a real stickler for tension & pure straight stitch quality. Probably pickier than most. I truly believe that machines with a vertical bobbin give better stitch quality when sewing. also, it's easier to reach underneath your work & pull out a bobbin case than remove your quilt from under the needle to change the bobbin. I'm not sure why you're stuck between these two models. you should have access to others. At my shop, for example, the prices of these two would be very different. The BL Ellegante (one step up) is closer in price to a B580, but still a little cheaper. Neither model comes with the stitch regulator. They are expensive (around $1000+) add-ons to either model. Has your dealer given you an opportunity to take both for a "test run"? Both systems work -- I've used them. I think the Bernina BSR is more "integrated" with the machine, but the Tru-Stitch Baby Lock does the job as well. It's a matter of personal preference. Same thing with stitch quality. I like the ability to fine tune my stitches on a Bernina, but think the Baby Lock's embroidery is much easier. Truth be known, though, my "go to" machine is a Baby Lock Quilter's Professional (now called the Jane) that does nothing more than straight stitch. I'm a quilter. It's all I need. You should sit & sew on both models with their base accessories AND try the optional stitch regulators. You'll know which is right. You'll feel it. trust your instincts & good luck. And...if your local dealer won't help you, find a dealer who will. Customer service is super important. Best, franklindixie