Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Bernina 770 problems

MMQ

Bernina 770 problems

1.Continually 1010 error Main Drive Sync failure- machine stops and needle won't go up & down. If I remove the bobbin it frees the needle
    2. Placement of the hook is extremely difficult. Can I be putting the hook in upside down? The threads gather behind the hook very frequently.
    Can anyone help me please?
    I can't keep sewing until I get some help?
    Last edited by MMQ; 05-03-2019 at 11:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MMQ View Post
    1.Continually 1010 error Main Drive Sync failure- machine stops and needle won't go up & down. If I remove the bobbin it frees the needle

2. Placement of the hook is extremely difficult. Can I be putting the hook in upside down? The threads gather behind the hook very frequently.

Can anyone help me please?
    I can't keep sewing until I get some help?
    Had my 770 for two years. The 1010 error means there is something, likely a tiny thread in the hook/bobbin area somewhere. Take it all out and clean, and that should fix that.

The hole in the hook should line up with the dot in the hook race when you put it in. I find it easier to put a thread spool under the machine so it leans backwards while I attempt to put it back in.

Happy to help further if needed.

Blog Entries
    I, too, have had my machine two years and I guess I have been lucky not to have had the 1010 Error message but I like lyric girl’s suggestion about tilting the machine to get the hook race back in.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

My friend had this same problem about two weeks ago! The Bernina tech said it was a tiny piece of thread caught and hard to see and reach . $255 dollars to repair. Standard service fee to find the problem and then labor charges to repair the problem. So get a flashlight and strong magnifying glass, long tweezers and start looking.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

A co worker bought a Bernina,. She soon got fed up with how fussy it was. One little piece of thread stuck somewhere and it was in the shop. The dealer keeps implying user error but all she does is sew normal and not doing anything wrong. She bought a Eversewn Sparrow 30 and loves it.

Quote Originally Posted by fruitloop View Post
    A co worker bought a Bernina,. She soon got fed up with how fussy it was. One little piece of thread stuck somewhere and it was in the shop. The dealer keeps implying user error but all she does is sew normal and not doing anything wrong. She bought a Eversewn Sparrow 30 and loves it.
    Unless her situation was different, there is no reason for an error 1010 to land a machine in the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by lyric girl View Post
    Unless her situation was different, there is no reason for an error 1010 to land a machine in the shop.

My friend's machine had the error. Had to take it in. It was a tiny piece of thread she could not see or reach at least that is what the tech told her. And the dealer said she should bring it in when she gets the error. She has contacted Bernina and the response was to refer to her dealer. LOL If you have access to a great dealer and excellent repair service then you are blessed.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

In the gears icon, it shows how to clean the cutter. First remove the foot, needle and needle plate. It tells you to press the "link," then press the cutter button. The cutter will slide out into the center of the needle plate hole so you can clean any lint that is caught in the cutter. Press the next "link" and the cutter will slide back into place.

Also, you need to put oil on the hook race and add oil to the reservoir that is just under the needle plate. It takes a special oil that has a higher viscosity. If you take time to clean and oil every project, or every 3 hours of actual sewing time, it should behave better.
    Annette in Utah

I have a Bernina Aurora QE 440 and absolutely love it. I bought it new in 2009 and have never had a problem with it. It is a well made and very dependable sewing machine.

I have both a Bernina and a Janome 9500. I started to have problems such as your friend mentioned soon after I brought it home. I took it back to my dealer. She calmed me down, showed me what was happening and showed me how to remove the bobbin and bobbin case and to clean with a small brush and to watch our for small bits of thread. (Read remove all the bits of thread that accrue when one must rip out a seam.) By following her instructions, I can avoid the problem, or, if it occurs, I know how to fix it and it reminds me of what I must do to avoid the problem. I cannot imagine feeling that a machine such as you mention could compare to a Bernina or a Janome.

I got tired of how finicky my series 7 Bernina was.....I sold it. We all have different patience levels don't we? Good luck, I'm sure you'll get it sorted out and be more the wiser for when/if it occurs again.

I absolutely love my Bernina! Its sad to hear of other sewers having Bernina troubles. I, on the other hand, have had a Bernina 830 for 28 years and have never, ever had a problem with it. It is a true workhorse and will sew thru anything. I have it serviced every 1 1/2 years for a tuneup faithfully. I guess I'm glad that I don't have a new, fancy Bernina but honestly, I have only heard good things about Berninas. This is the first time I ever heard someone complain about one.
    Donnamarie

Bernina's are fussy high maintenance...I used to sell them and I bought my Janomes when I could have gotten a top of the line Bernina at dealer price!

LilaKay...greatgramma to Brielle Mae

Quote Originally Posted by LilaKay View Post
    Bernina's are fussy high maintenance...I used to sell them and I bought my Janomes when I could have gotten a top of the line Bernina at dealer price!
    The only Janome I have ever owned was an MC8900 and it was used as part of the trade in to get my Bernina. I despised that machine which balked at quilting intersections and wouldn't wind a decent bobbin ever. i took to winding the bobbins on my Bernina from the 80s.

My friend in Arizona loves her Berninas and gave me her last one (which she replaced with another Bernina). She says her current one is less fussy but that the one that she gave me (the 820 "sewing computer") really prefers Aurifil thread and she often uses decorative and fancy threads. I'm finding that while I can use my remaining stock of Dual Duty, that it just purrs happily with the Aurifil.

I clean out the bobbin case area often (more than just when replacing the bobbin) and put a pair of long handled forceps by the machine to get those nasty little threads out of the bobbin area. With my vision issues though it can be quite a struggle, first to see the thread and then since I really have no depth perception to actually catch it.

Good luck!

Lyric girl, you must've gotten a lemon. I bought my MC 8900 used from dealer last yr.and l love it! That's said, l'm still keeping my trusty 6500pro by Janome that l've used for 15 yr. as backup...still love that one too. My old 1030 Bernina that l used to start my drapery business back in 1986 is still going strong in the workroom l sold it to 10 yr. ago when l retired!

Quote Originally Posted by stitch678 View Post
    Lyric girl, you must've gotten a lemon. I bought my MC 8900 used from dealer last yr.and l love it! That's said, l'm still keeping my trusty 6500pro by Janome that l've used for 15 yr. as backup...still love that one too. My old 1030 Bernina that l used to start my drapery business back in 1986 is still going strong in the workroom l sold it to 10 yr. ago when l retired!
    It was No lemon. If you look at reviews on that machine, people complain and complain about the issues I had. I erroneously thought it must be the learning curve when working with a new machine. That was Not the case.

My Bernina will sew through everything I throw at it, and if I clean it on a regular basis, I get less of those types of errors. Yes, I know Bernina is not for everyone, but they are outstanding machines.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-18-2019 at 03:40 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps

I'm picking up my new 770 today. I have a 150 QE and love that machine. Had zero problems with it for 18 years. I wanted to upgrade.
    Really excited! Thanks for the comments. My next door neighbor works at the Bernina shop where I go and she's always willing to help if there are problems or just questions.
    I know many happy Bernina owners. They are fabulous machines.

Power Poster
    I love my Bernina 440. There is a lot of technology in the 700 and 800 series so more to go wrong. A good dealer is essential and classes really help.