Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina 790 >

Bernina 790

Bernina 790

Old 08-05-2023, 10:58 AM

I am loving my 590 which has some of the features of the newer 790's if that helps. I know that 790 Pro has even more stuff The 5 series has a shorter neck space the 790's which are also heavier. I chose the series because it isn't as heavy, and I have a longarm to do my larger quilts on. I am just starting to use it for embroidery and mine can't take the largest hoops. So far it has been embroidering very nicely. I do have to say, these higher end Bernina's are not machines you can just sit down and start stitching on as they have so many features you can taylor to your needs and wants. But, they are sweet machines. Just make sure you take the classes if you decide to purchase one. Also, the Bernina website has many videos and workbooks available to help you learn. There are also a number of Bernina dealers that have developed online information also.
Old 08-05-2023, 02:28 PM
mkc

Just FYI, the 790 originally discussed in this 8 year old thread is discontinued. There is a 790 Plus that replaced it but is mostly the same plus a firmware upgrade.

The 790 Pro is a brand new machine and has a much different feature set from the 790/790 Plus. In my brief research, it's also several thousand $ more expensive.

Last edited by mkc; 08-05-2023 at 02:30 PM.
Old 08-05-2023, 07:04 PM

It's an amazing machine! I have a longarm, so I got the 590, and LOVE the bells and whistles! I especially love the needle up "hover," for chain piecing. But love the option to have the foot stay down for long seams. I've learned that none of the 1/4" presser feet engage with the right feed dog. So to get the best 1/4" seam, I use my #34D presser foot and bump the needle position to the right 3 bumps. Then I feed the edge of the fabric just inside the feed dog hole. That way, both feed dogs are engaged with the fabric. I really struggle with free-motion and ruler work on my 590. I feel like the take-up lever isn't timed like my older Berninas, and I CANNOT FMQ without lots of snarls on the back. I do great with my 230, 930 and 830, but cannot get FMQ with my 590.

The 790 can do the extra wide decorative stitches, with the sideways feed. That's pretty amazing! It would be awesome for quilting borders.

I'll be doing some embroidery tomorrow! You have to tighten the bobbin case a LOT for embroidery. Or you can buy a separate bobbin case that's tighter for embroidery. I was a Bernina tech for 8 years, so I'm very comfortable with adjusting my bobbin case tension.

If you can get the 790, you won't regret it!
Old 08-06-2023, 08:18 AM

Ha, I finally figured out how to do a good 1/4 inch seam on my 590 by doing what Quiltedsunshine did. But then I went to the shop one day to get one spool of thread and came home with that cute little aqua 475 which has a 5.5 mm feeddog. 1/4 inch seam heaven. I can just sit down and piece. So now that 475 is going to live in my sewing cabinet for piecing and quilting when I get the new insert I ordered for it and the 590 is coming out for embroidery and other things. It isn't two hard to switch my machines out. Can one really have too many machines?