Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina 820? >

Bernina 820?

Bernina 820?

Old 12-15-2010, 06:14 PM

it was meant to be..buy and enjoy that bernina..you will think you died and went to heaven with your dear long lost aunt...i really think you should keep your janome..its a good back up machine..in case your 820 needs servicing..have fun
Old 12-15-2010, 06:21 PM

I don't know why you have to sell your present machine! I love having two set up with different colors of threads, or different types of thread. LOL-I have fun!!!
Old 12-15-2010, 06:34 PM

There is nothing like a Bernina and the 820 is to die for. I would buy it in a heart beat and I would probably keep the other one in case I needed a lighter weight to take to classes or sew with friends. Just my thoughts.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:47 PM

I just need to say one more thing about your situation. I have always wanted a LA quilting machine and we have never been in a position to afford one. Two years ago I finallygot my $50K back pay for Social Security disability that it took 4 years fighting for. Well, wouldn't you know the month before my settlement came my DH was laid off from his job of 13 years. Needless to say I did not get my LA and the money is now long gone for electric bills and groceries and gas for the car. Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful we had the money when we needed it but I will always wish I had been able to buy my dream machine. Hubby is working again - but again we are in no position to buy a LA so it is once again just a dream! Buy your 820 and enjoy it!!!
Old 12-15-2010, 07:51 PM

Go for the 820! Your aunt wanted you to have your inheritance to use as you wish, I am sure. Use the left over money for fabric. :thumbup:
Old 12-15-2010, 08:19 PM

The handwriting (er-r stitches) are on the wall if you ask me. Your aunt liked to sew and you say she made donations. This money entitles her legacy to be continued through your fingers in sewing-quilting. When I retired, I bought two Berninas. At first I settled for the 440QE but upgraded to the 820 a year or so later and have never looked back. It is a wonderful machine; I did not want to machine embroider so did not get the 830, which was considerably more money. So treat yourself and keep your other machine if you are in a position to do so financially. As you must already know, the 820 costs several thousands. Enjoy.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:50 PM
PEP

Dear so-sew, I totally agree with NancyG! I have a Bernina 1260 and in 1/08 I purchased the 730! (Similar circumstances as yours, my Mom thru her estate left my brother and I $) I simply love it! If I had known about the 830, I might have waited for it, but I still haven't done all there is to do on the 730! I truly believe you won't regret it for one minute! The Swiss engineering and design is just superb! And I don't even make any $ on my endorsement!
Old 12-15-2010, 08:54 PM

I just received an email from Quilter's Haven in Minnesota and I thought of you and your dilemma. They have a special this Saturday on the Bernina 830 - I don't know the difference between this and the 820. Besides the 48 months financing, you get DesignerPlus V6 software, jumbo hoop, and 1,000 OESD designs. The website is http://www.quiltershavenmn.com/

Whatever you decide, try to get the best deal. Good luck!
Old 12-15-2010, 09:00 PM

I have "tested" the Bernina 830 and had trouble with it both times I tested it. The first time was at a demonstration seminar and again at a class. It is finicky and the tech person had to work on it several times. This was about a month ago. I am not saying not to buy the 820, but I sure would keep a machine as backup to use. I own the Bernina 200E upgraded to a 730 and love my machine. Personally, I am not sure I need the 830. For the price difference, I am not sure the money would not be better spent on a long arm if you are a quilter.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:22 PM

Hey gal go for the Bernina. I agree with others, I would keep the Janome also as my back up. Who knows when you might need it. I have my good old faithful Bernina 930 that I bought new in 1985. Runs great and I love it. I have sewn many a mile on this baby. I haven't seen the 820 but I'm sure it's great. That was a gift to you, spend it on yourself sweetie. Get what you want and if there's enough left over get a cabinet for it as well if it doesn't come with one, or something else special that you wanted for quilting. Maybe a FW or a Long Arm if you don't already have either one. Whatever use it on you, and don't let it be used for general funds if you can keep from it. After all you didn't have it before, so it's not like it's going to be missed.
Just think your Aunt is giving you a great Christmas gift and an early one at that. Do this in her memory since she loved to sew. Don't ask any of the family and don't worry about or let them make you feel guilty about getting what you want. After all it's your money now.Merry Christmas!!