Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina BSR and sewing machine question >

Bernina BSR and sewing machine question

Bernina BSR and sewing machine question

Old 02-16-2021, 08:18 PM

Default Bernina BSR and sewing machine question

Hello, I just found out about Bernina BSR. It seems an amazing add-on feature to a Bernina sewing machine. All the model I have search are Bernina high-end product line and so expensive. Does everyone know if BSR works with any of the Bernina Bernette or cheaper models? Thank you!
Old 02-16-2021, 09:31 PM
Power Poster

There are so many Bernina models available, it's hard to keep track.
Check the specs for each, and you will have the correct answer.
Plus you can find out what features each has, that you may or may not want.
You can find that info on the Bernina website.
Old 02-17-2021, 05:42 AM
Power Poster

Unfortunately, the BSR doesn't work on a lot of Berninas. I have a 150QE and I recently bought a 770QE so I could have one. They are wonderful and have improved my machine quilting a lot. I'm thrilled with mine. I believe they came out with the BSR about 10 years ago.
Old 02-17-2021, 06:39 AM
Power Poster

I have one for my B 440. I think it has been replaced by the B550? Look to see if the B550 has the BSR. Be aware just the BSR was $1000 about 10 years ago.
Old 02-17-2021, 07:14 AM

I have one...and yes you need a mid or high end range Bernina to use it. There is a plug on the BSR attachment that plugs into the brains of the machine. I think all the machines that can use BSR are computerized. Best to check which ones can use it. I think all the 5 and up serious use it but I am not sure.
Old 02-17-2021, 07:21 AM

The 475 is the lowest end Bernina that is BSR compatible and retails for about $2,400 with the BSR. The machine has to have the port that the BSR plugs into and the computer programming to run it.
Old 02-17-2021, 08:46 AM

You ALL are so wonderful and thank you so much for the quick replies. I'm new to quilting but love the art. I'm struggling with a choice between the Artista 450 or Artista 600 or Bernina 530. I have checked them out on Bernina website and they seem all great machines and have BSR enabled. These are all like new with less than 100 hours machine time and I can get them around $1500, plus, if I get the BSR on eBay it would be another +/-$300. I don't care much for embroidery, but would use it once in a while, quilting is what I'm after. I'm also looking for a reliable, worry free machine that would last me the next 25 years (it is a big investment for me). Do you have any strong recommendation in one of these machines or may be another one with the same price range? Thanks++++
Old 02-17-2021, 08:59 AM

I have a Aurora 440QE and it has the BSR. I have had my machine for a long time.
Old 02-17-2021, 09:08 AM

I went through this exact issue when I started quilting. FWIW I took a week long free motion workshop with Cindy Needham and that banished my need for a BSR attachment. In class I noticed everyone had a Juki, which at the time was one of the few machines that had a roomy harp space.

Free motion quilting takes a lot of practice (it took me a long time to be a skilled piecer, it took a while to build the free motion skills, too), but you quickly, very quickly, outgrow a need for a stitch regulator, IMHO.
Old 02-18-2021, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by sewingsuz View Post
I have a Aurora 440QE and it has the BSR. I have had my machine for a long time.
I have the Aurora 440, too, and I bought it used with about a million attachments. I did have to spend about $900 to have the computer board replaced, but it is a fabulous machine. I have had so many different machines, but the Bernina outshines them all in every way. If you can at all afford one, I recommend them. This Bernina does not have a huge harp, but I do have a longarm, too, for large projects. The BSR seems to help a lot!
I wish you well for your search for the right machine for you!