Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina BSR and sewing machine question >

Bernina BSR and sewing machine question

Bernina BSR and sewing machine question

Old 02-18-2021, 07:05 AM

If you want it to last for 25 years....well...that will be a stretch with the newer machines as they are actually computers. But, I would definitely get the newest machine you can find. Also if you get a new one, you will have a warranty on it for a bit. I am lucky with my old Viking D! which is computerized as I got it several years ago...She is still going strong...but the manufacturer only makes parts for it so long after they discontinue the line and if anything breaks on it, like the computer cards, I am done. there are no more replacement parts available. I would not pay a lot for an older computerized machine because you do not know how long it will last and if parts will be available if it breaks down.
Old 02-18-2021, 05:28 PM

Just as an aside, I could not afford a new Bernina, but I loved the way they sewed. There was a lady at the time who sold used Berninas on EBay and I got an Artista 170 from her at a price I could afford...barely! I love that machine and it is going strong 10 years later. I felt comfortable buying online unseen as I have a great local machine tech, and knew if there were tweaks that had to be made, he could make them. I send it in for a service every year or two.

The Berninas were at the time one of the few machines that sewed a nice straight seam without the feed dogs letting go at the end of the seam and pushing the seam sideways. For some reason the Bernina feed dog design keeps the fabric tracking true right to the end of the fabric.
Old 02-19-2021, 07:26 AM

yes, bernina's are wonderful when they are working well. I had artista 630 with the narrow feed dogs that I loved and used for several years then traded her in for a mew 570 which I find doesn't stitch a straight seam nearly as well as my 630 did. I blame it on the wider feed dogs. I wish I had kept the old Bernina for piecing, but I was trying to downsize as I had 9 machines. I am now down to 5 machines, a serger, and a longarm.
Old 02-19-2021, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by sewingpup View Post
new 570 which I find doesn't stitch a straight seam nearly as well as my 630 did. I blame it on the wider feed dogs.
The 1/4" presser feet really don't work with the wider feed dogs because they don't engage that right feed dog. We eliminated that problem by using foot #34C or #34D which covers both feed dogs. When sewing a 1/4" seam, we bump the needle to the right 3 bumps and guide the fabric just inside the feed dogs, or 4 bumps and guide the fabric along the outside of the presser foot.

Last edited by quiltedsunshine; 02-19-2021 at 08:12 AM.