Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina or other brand sewing machine thoughts.. >

Bernina or other brand sewing machine thoughts..

Bernina or other brand sewing machine thoughts..

Old 11-20-2011, 10:14 AM

My first machine was a Viking, which I liked...my next machine was a Bernina which I LOVE! Don't know our budget, but if you can afford a Bernina for her, I would get her one....even if it is a used one.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:18 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I had two Vikings and both still run very well. Last year I bought the Big Momma of all sewing machines...the Bernina 830. It comes with an embroidery machine that you attach. Wonderful. Mine even came with a long arm table. I love it. But it's finiky about the thread I use. That's the only downfall. It doesn't like varagated thread at all. My dealer told me not to use it since I was having problems with that thread. That bums me out. I paid soooooo much for this machine that I should be able to use any thread at all. Anyway, my 1982 $300 Viking found a home with my daughter and she loves it. My newer Viking is in my closet for emergencies and for retreats. I would never buy a sewing machine from Walmart. I agree with all the gals that Bernina is the best, but I think it's the priciest also. Viking Huscavarna is a very good brand.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:33 AM

I have a Bernina 153 and a 440 and love them both. They're both great machines.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:34 AM

Brother makes some good machines, but stay away from those cheap machines you find at Cosco, Walmart, Target and the like. They are mainly plastic, made in a third world nation, and will end up costing you more in repairs than you paid for it. And it still won't do what you want it to. But as I said, the better Brothers are nice machines. Having said that, I would look for a Janome or Bernina or Viking. Great workhorses. Singer can be a good machine in the right model. Being where you are, you may be better off looking around for a dealer who can service your needs without undue driving, and go from there. There are deals to be had. If you can wait for the after Christmas sales, you can probably get an even better deal. That's what I'm doing, even though it leaves me without a machine until then. I was about to buy a Janome when they jacked up the price in the pre-Christmas mark-ups. Just something to think about. Whatever you do, make sure you spend a couple of hours actually sewing on the model you intend to buy to make sure it's what you want.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by aneternalpoet View Post
can anyone tell me what brand of machine you use ( for beginner to semi newish quilter ), and why? I am thinking of getting one for a holiday gift for my daughter, mainly a simple bernina if we can find one here in our small town .. I dont know much about them, other than everyone I have talked to here at the quilt store says they like that brand.. Anyone have any thoughts on one for just regular quilting - nothing like sergers, ect..
My best experience has always been Bernina. In many shops there is an opportunity to buy a slightly used but with complete warranty machine that someone turned in within a year on a more expensive machine. I bought one about twenty years ago and it has many features available today already and was much less $. I use it every day and LOVE IT. It is a
1090 and a wonderful work horse. I have made more than forty quilts on it but send the larger ones to LAQ for quilting.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:49 AM
Power Poster

I would suggest the top of the line Kenmore. You can't beat the price for the value you are getting. I have used the Bernina 830 ($10,000) and every other brand there is from Janome to Baby Loc. The top of the line Kenmore is the perfect beginner machine and will satisfy the advanced sewer too. I am blessed to be able to buy any sewing machine I want and as many as I want and my next new machine will be the top of the line Kenmore. The local Bernina dealer stays mad at me for not buying one of her expensive machines. She thinks because I can I should. I won't. LOL
Old 11-20-2011, 10:51 AM

Nothing sews like a Bernina just ask any owner and they will be happy to tell you how much they love their machine.
They are expensive you get what you pay for. Don't rule out a used one that has had good care and up keep.Ask your dealer if they have any trade ins . I have a good friend that is going to sell her 200 with upgrade to 730 so sometimes you may run across one. I have upgraded 3 times and I would not consider another brand. There may be special prices around the Holiday.
don't give up.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:51 AM

I have used Singer, Brother, and Bernina. I love my Bernina. I rec'd it as a gift more than twenty years ago and it has done everything I have required of it without breaking down.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:09 AM

Just remember that there will be NO training or service on Kenmore machines. I have one and I like it, but the store will have to send it away if it needs service.....weeks of waiting.

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
I would suggest the top of the line Kenmore. You can't beat the price for the value you are getting. I have used the Bernina 830 ($10,000) and every other brand there is from Janome to Baby Loc. The top of the line Kenmore is the perfect beginner machine and will satisfy the advanced sewer too. I am blessed to be able to buy any sewing machine I want and as many as I want and my next new machine will be the top of the line Kenmore. The local Bernina dealer stays mad at me for not buying one of her expensive machines. She thinks because I can I should. I won't. LOL
Old 11-20-2011, 11:52 AM

I have a Bernina 1530 and bought it mainly for sewing clothes. I am now using it to make quilts and love it. It even slipped off the table onto a concrete floor during a quilting class and kept right on sewing. I also have a Wal-Mart Brothers SQ 9000 that I bought to take to classes from now on and it works well. Less than $200, So for a basic learning machine I would go enexpensive with a good straight stitch until she knows what she wants in a machine.

Last edited by grandme26; 11-20-2011 at 11:54 AM.