Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina or other brand sewing machine thoughts.. >

Bernina or other brand sewing machine thoughts..

Bernina or other brand sewing machine thoughts..

Old 11-20-2011, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by aneternalpoet View Post
I have a brother named Steve( seriously ) who I would trade for any sewing machine, working or not. He's not a workhourse, if you know what I mean..Just putting in perspective what a sewing machine means to me for my daughter.
Now that's funny!

Going back to my original post because that WAS my post.

If I'm comparing my Bernina 380 and Brother Innovis 2000, in my opinion the Brother machine is more user friendly. I traded a smaller Brother for the 2000 and it also was very user friendly. I also own a Brother embroidery only machine. That being said, I do love my Bernina. It works hard.

I find that some of us are brand loyal and have owned two Berninas- traded the first one for the 380. It's a great machine but the Brother was easier to use out of the box and has more features for the money. It's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. Please, Bernina owners!!!!!!!!. It's just my opinion.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:41 AM

I would suggest a Bernina. They are great machines. Used machines are available, check area dealers.
A beginner needs a good quality machine to start on. A cheap machine will give poor quality and
can discourage a beginner.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:52 AM

I love my Bernina. Previously, I had a basic Janome that gave me nothing but trouble.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:49 AM

Are you suggesting that anything less than a Bernina is a "cheap machine"???? Oh boy....them's fightin' words!!! LOL

Choose a Bernina if you have a lot of $$$ to spend, or you will be satisfied with good stitching with few convenience features.....IMHO.

Originally Posted by Pieces2 View Post
I would suggest a Bernina. They are great machines. Used machines are available, check area dealers.
A beginner needs a good quality machine to start on. A cheap machine will give poor quality and
can discourage a beginner.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:53 AM

I love my Bernina 440. It is now going to be obsoete cause it is being replaced by the 550. You might be able to find a trade in for a good price. The only thing with Bernina is that their "feet" are expensive.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:16 AM

I sew on a Bernina 440 QE, but didn't get that until a few years ago (when Bernina ran a heck of a special). I had an older Bernina that was wayyyy reliable, and my back up maching is a 1977 Kenmore that I bought new. I swear I could sew through tin cans with that machine..LOL It's a work horse that I'll never part with.

My suggestions are look for a nice brand name machine from a dealer that was traded in for an upgrade. There's nothing wrong with a good used machine and as a rule dealers will help someone learn the machine and back it for 30 -60 days depending on their contract. That's what I got for my dd.

Awhile back a friend of mine was looking for a class machine. I told her I had seen refurbished Janome's on OVERSTOCK for $99.00 and she bought one. She absolutely loves the machine and is using the daylights out of it.

Lots of options.. as you can see. I'm 1000% happy with my Bernina, but I mainly went with a Bernina because my friend is the local dealer. I know others who swear by their Vikings, Pfaffs, Janomes..other brands...and even old TREADLE SINGERS.

IMO - dealing with a brand specific dealer on a sewing machine is a better bet then a big box store. A dealer will back their brand/product.

Good Luck.

Last edited by Highmtn; 11-20-2011 at 08:22 AM.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:43 AM

I have a Bernina 1230 (Old machine) .... It was my mothers... she was the ultimate quilter and sewer. I took up quilting after she passed away in the early 90's for about a year. Then my DH wanted to move the room around and it just got to crowded to sew in that room. In the last year, I've taken it up again. With a vengeance (I even bought myself a longarm) .. That Bernina has been a workhorse. My mother would never have bought a inferior machine.... She worked in a sewing factory for years and knew the machines inside and out. I also have a featherweight... which, I'm ashamed to say, have never sewed on... that too was my mothers.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:40 AM
Suz

In the past, I have had two Singers, a Kenmore, two Vikings, a Janome, and three Berninas. I'll take a Bernina any day, with the Viking being my second choice. (Three Berninsa as I keep moving up, all of which have been used machines.)
Old 11-20-2011, 09:43 AM

I have 3 Singer's 2 Janome's and My Bernina 440QE. They are all great machines and I use all of them. I use the singers mostly to loan out to new sewers or quilters. My Janome does every thing but I still love my Bernina. Depends on my mood. If I have a lot of embroidery to get done I will do my straight sewing with my Janome and have my Bernina embroidery going at the same time. My Janome does embroidery too but I truly love my Bernina for embroidery. Come to think of it I love my Bernina for every thing. But I would never loan it out. Go Bernina if you can, you won't be disappointed.
Good Luck
Old 11-20-2011, 10:04 AM

I still have my first brand new Bernina purchase in 1982 - 930 Record. I also have a friend's Artista 180. I purchased a 440QE and traded for an 830 Limited Edition because of fantastic sale. Haven't had a lesson on it yet but love it. I do NOT consider myself a quilter yet but sure have had fun making friends and family and a few local fundraiser's happy ... oh yea and a school or 2. I am working on one for myself .... the first one for me since the one my Mamo had me make when I was 16 which I still have 43 years later - sewn on a Kenmore machine using handmade newspaper pattern and scraps of memories from dresses that Mamo made for herself or others in the family. I was the ONLY priviledged granddaughter to have this memory.....guess my MAMO knew my hobby before I did. Anyway, back to Bernina....the only large sewing machine company still family owned??!!....1. As others have stated....service should be considered although I had my 930 serviced this past year for under $30....cleaned, oiled, no problems....lucky as it had not been serviced for 10+ years.... 2. If your daughter is just beginning she won't miss all the extra's we have become accustomed to on the newer machines and a good used inexpensive Bernina or other major brand could be a lifelong companion as mine is... 3. I know my Bernina dealer has many used quality machines (your local dealer might as well) ...my friends Artista has quite a bit more to offer than the 930 and I have seen many on ebay and Craig's list and although I haven't searched this site...probably here as well. I also have a Babylock Evolve Serger and 10 Thread Emb Only as well as a used Janome emb/sewing machine for taking to class at the local dealer....love them all but stick with the Bernina on quality and especially SERVICE in my area and I did NOT purchase my first Bernina from this area. Did I mention earlier Service is important....Good luck on your venture.