Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bernina Sewing machine timing & troubles

I got a Bernina 440QE. It would start sewing, then stop abruptly and refuse to start again. I was told my room was too cold. I started leaving the heating on all the time on high, but it still was faulty. Eventually Bernina gave me a new machine. I upgraded to a 630 later on. I have a really old Bernina (can't remember number) which sews easily, quietly and is not tempremental

I have a Bernia 1230 that is about 18 years old and a 440 quilters edition and they both are great machines and I do not have problems. I get them serviced about every year to 18 months depending how often they are used. Kelela

Blog Entries
    I have a Bernina 1130S and was having that problem not long ago, and after saying a few choice words of disgust, I stopped, took a couple of deep breaths, and re-threaded my machine. I have no idea what had gone wrong, but, this fixed the problem. Sometimes gremlins appear to get us to slow down and test our patience!! If all else fails, try re-threading to make sure you are in all the proper spots for tension control. I hate when that happens and was an unhappy camper until I figurd it out. Good luck, because I love my Bernina. I once had a Bernette, and it was not a good machine. I traded it in on this Benina.... best move I ever made.

Bought my first Bernina in 1968 & wore it out. Replaced it with another one just 3 or 4 years ago. Was with out one for a year. Even my serger is by Bernina. No I haven't had problems.

Blog Entries
    My Bernina just went out of time. I took it to a repairman and he told me he didn't have the equipment to fix it. I guess now I'm scared to find out what the repair will cost.

bought a new Berniana in 1972 sewed everything on it from lace, heavy denim jean seam repair, horse blankets, leather (with leather needle) never missed a stich. Then 3 years ago the motor burned up loved it.

I have never had a problem with my Bernina - been sewing on it for 20 yrs - Is your machine new?

I got a Bernina Artista 630 last year for Christmas 2009. I had to learn to thread properly each time, and it is picky on what threads I sew with. Then this year while under warranty (just before Christmas), the bobbin door kept popping open while sewing and would throw off the tension. I got so frustrated because I was trying to make Christmas gifts, so I taped it shut with painter's tape. My dealer is an hour away. I took it in to be serviced after Christmas and they had it almost a month. When I called after 3 weeks they said the door had to be replaced and they had to wait for the part to come in. With what I paid I was not expecting some of the small issues that I have had. I really enjoy sewing on my Brother sewing machine more, as well as my brother Disney embroidery machine. I am wondering if I should have put my money on a Baby Lock.

I have two Bernina's a 730 and 830. I love both of them and I haven't had any problems. My problem is that they both are smarter than I am!!!

I have had the Bernina 1630 for 20 years or so. Did have to have the mother board replaced years ago and it has been a wonderful machine. I have it cleaned once a year and oil and clean it regularly.

I have a bernina 440 EQ and I have had that problem with thread nest and sometimes looping and I rethread and maybe even use different thread and it will be OK. I do need to take it for a physical. It may be out of time. I'll let you know.

Blog Entries
    I have owned a 440QE, then a 630, now a 730. Loved them all and never had timing problems. Recently bought a 380 to take to classes. Again, no problems. I teach at a Bernina store and you'd be astonished at the "abuse" these machines can take, especially when the user is new to sewing. I wouldn't buy any other machine now. Good luck!

[quote=blisterful]I had to have my timing set on my Bernina three weeks ago. Yesterday timing went out again and back to dealer I went! Dealer/serviceman just called me and said it was "consumer error" and I must have done something wrong . (I was doing a simple zigzag stitch and didn't break a needle).

I explained to him that the thread/fabric did get caught down in needle hole and perhaps that was what instigated the problem. (After I removed the bunched up thread, I was able to continue sewing, everything seems fine. It seems to me that I could have pulled machine out of alignment when I pulled out wad of thread and but he didn't think that would have put machine out of time......hmmmm). Yet, I wonder if Bernina is a real sensitive

I love my Bernina. I have mine since 2000 and loving it

I have a Bernina 440EQ and right before the end of the first year, I was sewing and went into the other room to press a seam. When I came back to my machine, it was down like turned off. Thinking the cat unplugged, I checked, No. Tried turning it off and back on, nothing. Called the dealer and they had me try plugging in to a different outlet; lay on its side for 15 minutes (like that will fix something); remove the plug and replug it in; etc. Finally they said to bring it in to the shop. The mother board has gone out ($550 which thankfully I didn't have to pay for). Took two months before I got her back and all the settings were different. Then this past summer, (she is now just over two years old) the message light started blinking saying I need to get it to the shop ASAP. I wasn't even using it yet, I just turned it on. Called the shop and took her in for a checkup. She was gone for two weeks. So far this time the 440EQ is still working. For an expensive machine, she is very touchy. I have several Brothers, Two Kenmores, and a PFAFF and none of them have been serviced like this.

I have a Bernina Patchwork Edition. The problem I have had is that no matter how I adjust the tension, my bottom thread always seems loose. Have had it worked on and it works OK for a couple of days, then I am back to the same problem. You mention a timing problem. I have never heard this term and am not aware of what the symptoms consist of. I have occasionally (well, maybe a bit more) sewn over a pin or two. I have banished my Bernina from the sewing room and have been using my Singer Confidence Quilter on a steady basis. If any of you have had this stitch problem and it has been resolved, I would like to know the solution.
    LeeJay

Blog Entries
    According to the repairman that couldn't fix the machine is that I have a timing problem. The needle hits the bobbin case.

I don't have a Bernina but I have a Babylock that has somewhat the same problem. At first I thought it was because the bobbin winder did kind of an odd job on the winding but then later I put in a prewound bobbin and it did the same thing, though not as bad. It's in the shop now. I don't fix them, I just ride them hard and put them away wet! If they don't sew to suit me they go to the shop. (This is the third one since November!_

I have a Bernina 1230 and never had a problem with the timing...like someone else said...I do know that sewing over pins can cause timing problems...hope you are able to get it looked at again and that the problem gets fixed to your satisfaction.

I have two Bernina machines, a old 730 Record that I've had and used a lot since 1994 and a 1090 that I've had for almost two years. Just a couple of age/wear related ones with the old 730.

I also own a Baby Lock and a Singer. While they each have their strong points, I prefer to sew on my 1090. My 730 will sew ANYTHING, tho. :thumbup: I oil them both as needed and take them in for service as needed.

Blog Entries
    I have an 830 that I've had since they came out in something like 1975, I've sewed on that machine for days straight for years on end.. Never have had a problem.. I also have a 1230 that I've used about as much since I got it.. I generally have more than one project going and use either one machine or the other.. Or I'll use one machine for sewing the other for topstitching when it's in a different color... I have never had one minute of a problem with either machine.

There is no finer machine that a Bernina. I have four computerized Berninas and I treat each of them with care as far a keeping them cleaned and oiled. I also have them serviced once a year. I hope you can find a resolve on your timing problem. If I notice something wrong with my machines. I simply turn it off, count to tenm and turn it back on and everything is working nicely.

I would find a new repairman.
    Something sounds fisshy to me.

Blog Entries
    It seems as I read these posts that the problem may be with the technician, not necessarily the machine. If you have a great technician, as I do, he can repair anything. I have NEVER had to leave my machine for 2 weeks, nor have I been told to lay a machine on its side, etc. I would suggest that you go to a Bernina store and speak with a good technician. If necessary, try a different Bernina store. Good luck!

I have had my baby girl (440 QE) for over two years and never had a bit of problem with her! Love, Love, Love my Bernina!!

My 440 is six years old and the least picky machine I've ever owned. It's predecessor on the other hand I could cheerfully have flung out the window on more than one occasion (a 153)!

The messages that come up telling you to oil and to bring in for maintenance are all based on the number of stitches the machine has done and nothing to do with there actually being a problem. If you press clear when you turn it on it goes away and after three times no longer appears until the next time the stitch count triggers it.

I did cause my hook problems on the 153 by using a needle brand that was slightly longer than Schmetz / Bernina needles. Since it was the old composite (black plastic) hook it got scratched and kept catching my threads. I found out on the Internet that there was a metal replacement so I rang London and ordered one, so that finally sorted me out on that one.

I wouldn't really even look at another brand now.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast