Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina vs. Janome...a new twist.... >

Bernina vs. Janome...a new twist....

Bernina vs. Janome...a new twist....

Old 01-19-2010, 08:37 AM

I should have mentioned that I don't own either machine. I have a1955 Singer Slant-O-Matic that I purchased for my Mother. In 1987 I bought a new Kenmore, primarily because it would sew through a wooden ruler and I needed it for repairing horse blankets in addition to my regular sewing. It has "Janome" on the electical plug connection for the machine; I am assuming that that means it was built by Janome. I spent over 5 yrs. checking out the Berninas between 3 different dealers because I wanted to have an embroidery machine and never even once would any of them let me sit down and try out the feel for their machines after they had demonstrated how they worked. I decided to buy a Husqvarna Viking Designerr SE because they not only allowed me to sew on the machines, but also, I could take classes on them. I really enjoy my machine and what it can do and even ventured into trying quilting, which I had wanted to do for a long time.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:37 AM

I have 3 Janomes; have never tried a Bernina.

If you continue to be at a crossroads and like both brands equally, I say buy from the dealer that you like. A good customer/dealer relationship is important.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:44 AM

I bought the Bernina Aurora 440QE about six months ago, and I love it! I've had no problems at all and I don't regret purchasing it. However, I bought from a small shop thinking that I would get better customer service at a family-owned and run small business. After spending that much on a machine, I expected the woman who sold it to me would at least recognize me when I came in to the store. She did not. It's a source of irritation to me every time I walk into the store. On the bright side, another quilt shop in town that also carries Bernina has an "adoption" policy where I can take the same classes and get the same customer service when I have questions that their own customers get.

All of that to say that if you're buying a machine because of what you expect from the shop, you might be disappointed. I say buy the machine you want and find what you need elsewhere.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:06 AM

Let us know what you decide. I have a Janome 6600 and no regrets!
Old 01-19-2010, 09:38 AM

Like several others, I own several Janomes. I purchased my 6600 just a few years ago and LOVE it. Better than that, I love the dealer and service availability. I still feel that service is almost more important than machine brand since even the most expensive machine in the world sometimes breaks down. I have no experience with Bernina other than the local dealerships (also not user friendly). I was looking at upgrading to the Janome 11000SE, but found it wasn't as user-friendly as the 6600, and didn't have the accufeed system for quilting (which I use for piecing as well). Since I heard rumors about the new machine coming out in April, I'm going to wait to see. I want to be able to do some embroidery, like lettering - but not little duckies, or bears, or any of the frou-frou stuff. I don't need all the bells and whistles the 11000 has, and its stippling feature is not quite as easy as the ads make it look. My advice would be to wait and see. And factor in service, since that can make or break your sewing experience.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:21 AM

I have a Bernina 440QE and what I do not like about it is that it does not have a bobbin light indicator My Pfaff does however it is not an embroidery machine but like you I had a bad experience with the Pfaff dealer so went else wheres my advise is think long and hard and what features mean the most to you a friendly shop means much to me
Dodie
Old 01-19-2010, 12:18 PM

I absolutely love my Janome 6600. The only feature it does not have is a stitch regulator for free motion quilting. I made my decision by asking at a large class that I took, sponsered by my large guild. I noticed that the majority of machines used were Janomes. When I asked long time quilters why they chose Janome, they said they got more features for their money. Another decision maker was the wide throat.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:22 PM

[quote=Jeniver]I absolutely love my Janome 6600. The only feature it does not have is a stitch regulator for free motion quilting.

A stitch regulator would make the 6600 perfect, but even for the Bernina it is what? $400-500 more?
Old 01-19-2010, 12:45 PM

My blue ribbon winning quilting buddy quilts on her Janome 6600. We (Bernina owners) love our machines but are envious of her fancy stitches, they are sew/so much nicer than our Bernina fancy stitches. I have a wonderful Bernina dealer, wouldn't trade her for the world, the Janome dealer, on the other hand is a real jerk, for that reason, I couldn't go with a Janome. As stated many times, both machines are great, but I agree, the dealer can make the world of difference.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by fireworkslover
Originally Posted by Maribeth
Originally Posted by fireworkslover
One thing to consider is that Bernina have special feet. If you want to purchase an open toe foot (for example), at your fabric shop, it won't fit on the Bernina unless you have a special attachment to attach to the foot itself. I sew on a Bernina at my job and know this to be true.
I have purchased several feet for my Bernina including an open toe foot and the walking foot and never needed a special attachment. What special attachment are you talking about?
Most feet attach to the machine at the pressure bar with a screw. Bernina have the foot and the bar all in one piece. So if you buy just a foot, you can't attach it to the bar by the screw, since there isn't a screw. You can purchase a special attachment that hooks onto the machine and also your foot, but it's pricey.

Huh?? Again, I have purchased several feet for my Bernina including an open toe foot and the walking foot and never needed a special attachment. The foot slips right on the shank and locks with a turn of a lever, much the same as the turn of a screw. There is no special attachment that is required. I don't know what model you were using but, really, the Bernina does not need a special attachment to use Bernina feet.