Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina vs. Janome...a new twist.... >

Bernina vs. Janome...a new twist....

Bernina vs. Janome...a new twist....

Old 01-19-2010, 01:38 PM

Well, I have 2 Janome's - one is the 6600p and the other is the Janome 9000 (embroidery machine). I have had no problem with either one and I've had the 9000 for 16 years. I also have a Bernina which has been wonderful and I've had no problem with either. Had the same problem as you when I decided to purchase my Bernina - no machine knowledge,lack of courtesy, attitude - the whole shot with the local Bernina dealer so I found the next closest one and purchased my Bernina from them at an even better price.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:59 PM

I would check with consumers reports on their ratings of sewing machines before you buy
Old 01-19-2010, 02:38 PM

I have a Brother embroidery which I love but my other 2 machines are Janome which I also love. Here is something to think about. Bernina, as I understand it, has their own format for patterns. Janome and Brother, as I understand it, use .pes which is the widest available format for patterns. So the actual machine is just one decision think about the number of available patterns in the format you need.
And it is so important to know and trust your dealer... who offers the best training? Who do you want to deal with?
Hope this helps.
Barbara
Old 01-19-2010, 02:47 PM

For what its worth i am (bryn) in seok. palomino.I am a newbie. I believe brenia is swiss stainless stell. My jamonomie i have had a year, singers arent worth buying. why walmart sells them. parts cant be replaced.
I wouldnt deal with someone with an ttitude. You want to enjoy life, your hobby. If i don't have peace i my gut about some situation- i don't buy it.
I am trying to get my picture on here,. And trying to find my way bck to sewing. at age 57 made a few patch quilts beqrs rag dolls. i wish i enoyed sewing,my sewing room is a mess. people given me lots of matrial. Mainly i like to chat n more thatn that listen. I admire each one of your talents. Where i this grouped based, i thought it wa alaska, but i guess i m wrong. I have never been sory i went with my heart. good luck God bless [email protected] can email me anytime - i am 57 maried no kids a moose dog.lol
Old 01-19-2010, 03:01 PM

I have a 4800QC Janome and have had it for 7 years now. I love it and it has never given me any problems. I can only tell you that from my experiences at the retreats I go to and from my exerience with my cousin who has the top of the line Bernina, they are always having problems with the bobbin being wound right or the needle being in right or the tension being too loose. The only people at the retreats that have problems with their macines are the Bernina contingent. My cousin was constantly needing instruction on how to sew with her machine. The feed dogs wouldn't retract when necessary. I also take classes at a local quilt shop that uses Bernina's and have used them. They are not easy to learn.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:06 PM

I also have a Brother Embroidery machine and I am very happy with it. It is a Walt Disney that I have really used in sewing for 5 little granddaughters. I have Ped that I use with it and down load patterns on the computer. THe people that I bought it from still take time to talk to me when I go into the store, and show me all the new things they are getting in. Makes you feel good when you are greeted by name as you walk into a store. Can't say that about our Bernina dealer around here.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Maribeth
Originally Posted by fireworkslover
Originally Posted by Maribeth
Originally Posted by fireworkslover
One thing to consider is that Bernina have special feet. If you want to purchase an open toe foot (for example), at your fabric shop, it won't fit on the Bernina unless you have a special attachment to attach to the foot itself. I sew on a Bernina at my job and know this to be true.
I have purchased several feet for my Bernina including an open toe foot and the walking foot and never needed a special attachment. What special attachment are you talking about?
Most feet attach to the machine at the pressure bar with a screw. Bernina have the foot and the bar all in one piece. So if you buy just a foot, you can't attach it to the bar by the screw, since there isn't a screw. You can purchase a special attachment that hooks onto the machine and also your foot, but it's pricey.

Huh?? Again, I have purchased several feet for my Bernina including an open toe foot and the walking foot and never needed a special attachment. The foot slips right on the shank and locks with a turn of a lever, much the same as the turn of a screw. There is no special attachment that is required. I don't know what model you were using but, really, the Bernina does not need a special attachment to use Bernina feet.
The answer to the question is right there at the end of your last sentence. You must use a Bernina foot. The foot is the foot, but also is the leg going up to where it attaches to the pressure bar with a lever that locks onto the upper leg part of the foot. LOL, Is that enough feet and legs for you? I'll have to look tomorrow to see what model my machine is at work. I'll let you know tomorrow.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:06 PM

The Bernina is the cadilac of machines. I don't know how else to explain it, but I have sewn on the Janome and I own a Bernina and there is no comparison!!! The Bernina rules all as far as stitch, and feel of the machine. It is unsurpassable in all areas of quilting. I would have no other. I go to quilting classes where they have Janomes and Viking, and I use the Viking due to the larger neck of the machine. The Janome can sew fine, but the Bernina has the larger neck if you want to quilt a project on it. It is the finest machine, & I would have no other.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:16 PM

Every attachment that I have bought for my Bernina has fit. I have around 20 and I do not remove the bar for any of them. My machine is a 1230. However I do have a Singer and I have to adjust the bar for some of the attachments, especially for the blind zipper attachment. Every machine is different, at one time I had 6 and each of them were different. I had my Bernina,
3 Singers, Kenmore, and my Mom's old Necci each one had to be handled differently sort of like babies I guess. I did give 3 of the machines to my niece who sews for the public and she had taught her daughters to sew on them. gc
Old 01-19-2010, 05:25 PM

Go with your gut feeling and the one that will provide good service. Me, I haven't tried the Janome, but I sure love my Bernina. I've had the 1130, 1630 (wish I still had this one) and now a Artista 185. Good Luck.