Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina Walking foot problems... >

Bernina Walking foot problems...

Bernina Walking foot problems...

Old 10-24-2011, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by sewtruterry
If your machine needle vibrates when you turn on the machine it means that you have a computerized machine and it is calibrating the needle.

It is not falling off the needle bar when it calibrates, but when I turn the needle wheel.

The needle broke because it struck the sole-plate. The needle had been falling in front of the sole plate, rather than in the hole designed to accept the needle. I didn't realize it was misaligned until it broke, then I noticed that while I managed to get the walking foot to work for a bit (couldn't get it to do it again), it still was not on properly.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:15 AM

I also have a bernina and love this walking foot, attached pictures for you - mine is about 5 years old, came with 2 sole feet for walking foot - see copy of instruction pic.
I always put the fork over the needle clamp first, and then the shank (V cone shape)under the positioning cone, holding my right finger under the walking foot, once I can see it straighten up so the needle is then in the proper position, pull down the fastening lever with my left fingers, it takes a little practice - not easy to attach at first. I wonder if you have on the correct sole for quilting/adding your binding, or if that would make a difference?

I hope this helps, and you get it working. Awful when things like this happens and makes one frustrated and stressed out.
Best of Luck.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-276290.jpe   attachment-276291.jpe   attachment-276292.jpe  
Old 10-24-2011, 05:21 AM

Thanks for the pictures- mine is definetly misaligned. Now I just have to figure out if it's me or the foot. I don't really understand how I can make it sit more forward if the hole for the cone is where it is...
Old 10-24-2011, 05:28 AM

I do not blame you for being upset! I thought I was paying a lot for a walking foot when it cost me half of what you paid! But it really is worth getting things to work--you will love the foot once it works correctly. I agree with all the others--take machine and foot to shop and show them it doesn't work. Good luck!

Originally Posted by Skittl1321
Originally Posted by Kas
Take it and your machine to the shop where you purchased the foot. They should have a record of it, especially since you have already talked to him about it. If it is defective, they will exchange it for you.
Yeah, that appears to be what I'm going to have to do. Which means I have to go back to binding without it, because I can only get to the shop during the weekends, since they have only work-day hours during the week, and it is an hour away :( I have to get this quilt done. They are already closed for the day.

I am so upset. A $200 foot should practically sew for itself- it should not be acting like this!
Old 10-24-2011, 05:28 AM

I compared our walking feet, and they appear to be identical. I wonder if you try taking out your needle, then attach the walking foot if that would work, that is what I had to do when I first got this machine and the walking foot - try that and see what happens.

Put the fork over the needle clamp first, then attach the rest of the foot. Replace the needle and see where it goes down into the bobbin area using the wheel on your machine, without using the foot pedal.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by d.rickman
I compared our walking feet, and they appear to be identical.
While they may very well be identical, they may not be at all. The OP has a three sole foot and you have a two sole foot, so they are not actually the same part number.

Seems like if the OP provided us with the part number of her walking foot (from the box) and the model number of her machine, we could tell if it was the right foot for her machine easy enough.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:06 AM
Dkm

In the side view picture it looks like the cone isn't in position. They are a little hard to get on, but one mistake is not getting the cone set. Look at your picture then try again. I have a walking foot and use it on a 153 and 640.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:17 AM

Well, the three sole is just the same thing with the newest sole, the "stitch-in-the-ditch" sole (which can also be purchased seperately), included. I'm still suspicious that you were sold an "old style" (meaning to fit the older machines, like 930s) walking foot. But I didn't think you could get it as the three sole set, so I'm not sure. But that would explain why it's not lining up.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:32 AM

Looking at how the others align, it has to be an old style- which just infuriates me, because I made sure to ask it was the right one for my machine.

I'm going up in a few hours. I'm really really worried, since my reciept has gone missing, but if it is an old style, it is their mistake, not mine. (They have to take them out of a drawer, it's not like you pick one up off the shelf...)
Old 10-24-2011, 07:02 AM

The needle is suppose to go in the oblong opening, not the round hole. That is for thread to come through from the bobbin if you're doing bobbin work. When I took the lessons that came with my machine on how to attach the walking foot: Move the needle position all the way to the right. Lower the feed dogs. That makes it easier to slip the little hook (clamp) over the needle tightening screw. Then slide the attaching hook down on the back like any of your other feet.

Hope this helps.