Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Bernina Walking foot problems...

So glad you got it figured out! I think you are amazing for getting to work at all! Also glad that you don't need the receipt to exchange it.

Quote Originally Posted by jitkaau
    Have you got a dealer or friend in the vacinity who can help you out? I find most of the problems my friends have with their machines is that they don't use them enough to be familiar with them and the instruction books are not detailed enough for the beginner.
    Yep, the dealer gave me the wrong foot (you tell them your machine number, and they pick it out of the drawer, they were apologetic. It was there mistake, not mine.)

Blog Entries
    Just a suggestion to all new machine owners. I bought my (very old) Bernina 1130 and decided to keep the receipt and a tiny spiral notebook in a sandwich bag in my machine cabinet. Into the bag goes every "well baby check-up" receipt as well as any strange "symptoms" and repair receipts in the spiral notebook. It helps when the repair guy asks when the problem started and what it seemed and or sounded like. Even with an older/used machine, you can begin now to keep records...they can be very useful.

Yeah- that is definitely ideal! I have all the other ones for stuff I've purchased, but this one somehow slipped by.

But it is a very good idea to keep track of problems and stuff- thanks for the tip

I have an older Bernina (1978 830). To put on the walking foot, I have to remove the needle and move the foot in sideways, get the fork close to the right spot, then snap it on the cone. There are Bernina Yahoo groups who can help too.

My Bernina walking foot goes on right away about half the time. The other half of the time, I have to wrestle with it.

I got mine when I was doing my very first quilt and was definitely "underwhelmed" by the results because it didn't "walk". I took it back to my dealer and they had me put it on the floor model of my machine while they watched. I'd forgotten to put the fork thingy around the needle arm. Duh! They were very nice about it but I felt like a complete idiot.

I couldn't figure out what was wrong from your pictures but don't give up. Bernina dealers are wonderful and will help you.

I have a Bernina 440QE. When I am stumped, I call the dealer and they always are helpful and so far are able to tell me what I'm doing wrong. Have you tried that?

Quote Originally Posted by fish92241
    I have a Bernina 440QE. When I am stumped, I call the dealer and they always are helpful and so far are able to tell me what I'm doing wrong. Have you tried that?
    Yes, they gave me the wrong foot. They apologized profusely and are ordering a new one.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by greencat
    Mine is not easy to get on. Seems I have to work at 3 things at once - hold the presser foot lever up (so it goes up a little higher than normal), slide the walking foot to the correct postion under it and also get the fork in the right position on the bar. Finally flip the lever down to lock the foot in place.
    I've always wondered if having a third hand would help in getting the walking foot on the machine... Once I get mine on, it STAYS on for as long as possible!!!
    hmmmmm, maybe I need to watch the video on the Bernina site... will do this...

so sorry you are having trouble!!!

The Bernina dealer suggested tipping the machine back until you are familiar with installing the walking foot. It's a lot easier to see and line it up properly.

Sounds like you have a good dealer even if the first foot was incorrect for your machine.

mltquilt

Skittl1321 - I'm having the exact same problem with my Bernina Aurora 430 and the walking foot I bought from the dealer. It's good to know I"m not going crazy, and there really are two models. I'll have to call my dealer tomorrow - I just bought the machine and foot Saturday!

It could be a break in the mechanism itself. I had one do that on me and the problem didn't look obvious. This one may just have been defective. I'd say take it back along with your machine and them to troubleshoot it. I still find it difficult to get on and off even though I've had mine for many years now.
    Diana

I'm reading some older posts, hope you have your walking foot problem figured out by now.

I have to think they gave you the wrong foot. Take it back to your dealer, they should have the sale on record somewhere. That's the way they keep inventory. Which Bernina do you have?

Sorry, didn't read all the post first.
    Lord, please keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

Blog Entries
    Here is the Bernina foot that came with my machine. It's the old style.

Name:  walking foot.JPG
Views: 501
Size:  135.1 KBName:  walkingfoot1.JPG
Views: 213
Size:  132.8 KB
    Got fabric?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4