Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina Walking foot problems... >

Bernina Walking foot problems...

Bernina Walking foot problems...

Old 10-24-2011, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by greencat
Mine is not easy to get on. Seems I have to work at 3 things at once - hold the presser foot lever up (so it goes up a little higher than normal), slide the walking foot to the correct postion under it and also get the fork in the right position on the bar. Finally flip the lever down to lock the foot in place.
Yep, same process as mine! My Bernina walking foot appears a little different than yours. Which leads me to believe that perhaps the dealer gave you the wrong type of walking foot for your machine? I'd go back to your Bernina dealer and see what they can do.
Blessings,
MaryAnna
Old 10-24-2011, 04:30 AM

I was just studying the pics of your machine with the WF on and those of mine and I can see that your foot seems to be sitting about 1/8 inch back from the needle than mine. Also if you look carefully at the pics you can see that the little piece that sticks out for the thing that comes down to latch the foot is at the very tip, but not within the latch in your pic and definitely within it in mine. I wander if something fell in the hole for the cone and is keeping it from setting in right. Did you take the WF off when you changed your needle? If so, somehow it went on goofy. Not sure how to fix it, but try taking it off again and putting it on by tilting and twisting as the others suggested. Who knows, it may just work this time. Other wise, hopefully your dealer can help.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by Dodie
I have a 440 with a walking foot just like that and I don't think you have it on right I have to slant mine when I put it on and do make sure the cone thing is in the right hole once you do it --it will be easier but I did have to go to the dealer and have them show me but do try slanting the foot to the right as you put it on
Thanks. It doesn't look like it is aligned properly (and obviously the arm doesn't go far enough around the needle bar), so this makes sense- but I'm having trouble figuring out how to get the cone in any other way.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by Skittl1321
See how the needle is so far forward in relation to the whole in the sole? Since the cone can only go in one place, I don't know how that can be changed.

The arm is off the needle bar because even though I put it there, it falls off as soon as I move the needle. When I put the foot on, it wraps around either side.

I'm really really stressed, because this thing is a week old and now I can't find the receipt. this thing is WAY too expensive to be a dud.
I didn't finish reading the comments in this post, so someone may have already told you this: The fork isn't on the needle clamp. I have done that before and the needle comes right where you are talking about. I lower the feed dogs, lean the base of the foot to the right, and start by slipping the fork over the needle clamp and the other spot onto the cone. Getting the fork on the needle clamp(screw holder) is the most important part of the foot being in the correct place.

There is a difference in which foot fits which machine. If your reg. feet have a red number on them, it takes the newer walking foot. The black numbers are the older model.
Good luck.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by IraJane

The fork isn't on the needle clamp. I have done that before and the needle comes right where you are talking about. I lower the feed dogs, lean the base of the foot to the right, and start by slipping the fork over the needle clamp and the other spot onto the cone. Getting the fork on the needle clamp(screw holder) is the most important part of the foot being in the correct place.
The fork is not on the needle clamp because it falls off when I move the needle wheel. It starts there, and then pops off. When I posted the pictures, I said that.

I need new feet for my machine. I posted a picture of the walking foot box, but there is no indication on the box or in the instructions which models it is for.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by Skittl1321
Originally Posted by IraJane

The fork isn't on the needle clamp. I have done that before and the needle comes right where you are talking about. I lower the feed dogs, lean the base of the foot to the right, and start by slipping the fork over the needle clamp and the other spot onto the cone. Getting the fork on the needle clamp(screw holder) is the most important part of the foot being in the correct place.
The fork is not on the needle clamp because it falls off when I move the needle wheel. It starts there, and then pops off. When I posted the pictures, I said that.

I need new feet for my machine. I posted a picture of the walking foot box, but there is no indication on the box or in the instructions which models it is for.
I have an older machine, by choice, and have had a newer one. the box for the newer one is just like yours. My box has an older picture.

Would you take a picture of the foot when you have it on the needle clamp so I can see where it goes on your machine?

When the fork is around my needle clamp there isn't any way it could come off, so I agree that talking with the dealer should be the next step.

My present Bernina 1260 I have had for 13 yrs and have only had to have it cleaned.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:07 AM

Can you see it in this video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gx9oO...el_video_title

The fork isn't as far as pictures of other ones show- but there is no way to get it further around the bar, and also have the cone fit in the hole. It's like the cone-hole is in the wrong place.

I'm going to try to get to the dealer before they close after work today, because I had bad dreams about this (ridiculous) last night, and I don't want it bothering me all week. Hopefully I'm just doing something wrong. I'm doing pretty much exactly what the video on the Bernina site shows though, and my my husband has tried a few times too.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:10 AM

Did you tighten the screw that holds the walking foot on with, and also the screw that holds the needle and the arm of the walking foot? They can and will vibrate loose if not tightened. hope you can find a solution, I know how frustrating it can be when you have to wait for the fix.

Good Luck

Suzy
Old 10-24-2011, 05:11 AM

Since I do not have a bernina machine I can only talk about what I see and what you are telling me. First of all the 2 pictures that have been posted the 2 walking feet are not the same. The fork in the first one appears to be shorter. I sell Viking machines and there are several walking feet for their machines and it sounds as if as you are saying that the needle broke and you changed it and then the walking foot would not say on the needle bar. If your machine needle vibrates when you turn on the machine it means that you have a computerized machine and it is calibrating the needle. This could be the reason that the fork is falling off of the needle bar. If this is always happening when you are turning on the machine then it sounds like you have the wrong foot for your machine.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by Suzy
Did you tighten the screw that holds the walking foot on with, and also the screw that holds the needle and the arm of the walking foot? They can and will vibrate loose if not tightened. hope you can find a solution, I know how frustrating it can be when you have to wait for the fix.

Good Luck

Suzy
There is not a screw that holds the walking foot on. Do you mean the sole plate? I did not make any changes to the sole plate.

The needle screw is as tight as I can get it. (I actually hate that thing, because I can rarely undo it- it doesn't use a screw driver, and my fingers just can't grasp that well.)