Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
beside suborning the wonderfully talented amish quilters into slavery.... >

beside suborning the wonderfully talented amish quilters into slavery....

beside suborning the wonderfully talented amish quilters into slavery....

Old 05-30-2012, 03:01 PM
Power Poster

when i first started hand stitching bindings it took me 2-3 weeks to get a queen sized quilt bound---now after much practice i can bind a queen sized quilt in a couple hours...practice not only makes perfect- it also makes it easier-faster all the time- it may take you a long time now to do a certain amount of space- but if you work on it an hour every day- in a couple weeks you will find that you can cover that amount of space in only 40 minutes...then a few weeks later you may do twice that amount of space in less than an hour- it just takes doing it consistantly-
a quilt shop lady once told me if i hand quilted 1 hour every day i could have a queen sized quilt done in about a year- its not supposed to be a race; it is a soothing-enjoyable-relaxing past time- as you get into your rhythm- and relax about it you will really be surprised how fast you become.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:43 PM

Bring it to me (and a sandwich) and I'll longarm it for you....
Old 05-30-2012, 04:06 PM

Stilclock - I love ta hand quilt. You asked for suggestions, well I can't make ya quilt any faster but I might be able ta influence your perspective. First think of most of your down time as an opportunity ta quilt. 5 min.s here, 10 min.s there will go a long way ta gittin' it finished. What size quilt are ya quiltin'? If it is small enough ya can even take it ta the Dr.s office or while sittin' in the passenger seat of the car while travelin'. Second, don't look at it as how much ya have left, but look at how much ya got done this sitting. Maybe, as someone suggested, set aside some special time & then look ta see how much ya did. You'll notice after a while that you are gittin' faster. Finaly How do ya quilt. If we know your style we might be able ta give ya hints that'll help.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:24 PM

i don't think my 88 year grandmother can wait 42 years, though i wouldn't put anything past her.

aileen
Old 05-30-2012, 04:44 PM

it's a double, though how that differs from a queen i'm hard pressed to say exactly. it has 54 blocks and sashing.

i chose an amish daisy chain that's about as pretty as can be and i thought i'd just knot the chain through the blocks and do a few full block butterflies and dragonflies here and there. i made the borders really wide to accommodate a 10 inch cable i have wanted to do forever.

i quilt in a hoop. i took it to the library today because i had quite a few hours to myself. i didn't get very far, though i know i haven't done any hand work in about 8 months so i will pick up some speed just getting into my groove.

i know. it's just time, and i should probably quilt it with a machine to get it to my gran. but it's so damned pretty and the hand work is so so so much nicer....

i have honestly thought about using one of the other ufo's to get used to the darning foot and teaching myself to fmq to get this one to her faster. but...the quilting i did today is so beautiful.

i'm a wanker. i'll just quilt it and hope it doesn't take too long. such a weird thing to be racing against the life left in one of your most favorite people on earth.

thanks for any thoughts and suggestions. i am all ears.

aileen
Old 05-30-2012, 04:45 PM

I haven't handquilted anything in a while, though I love to do it. I use any television time as hand sewing time - most of the TV shows I watch only require a small portion of my brain...

I also got pretty good at quilting while chatting on the phone. Hey! I know! Call your grandmother and chat to her while you quilt on her quilt! (That's soooo meta...)

Alison
PS I know that feeling of racing against time and age...sad and fulfilling at the same time. Good luck.

Last edited by alisonquilts; 05-30-2012 at 04:50 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by stillclock View Post
i don't think my 88 year grandmother can wait 42 years, though i wouldn't put anything past her.

aileen
That would be a quite a feat! I love your attitude!
You will git faster as ya go, & it won't take 42 years 'cause you'll git faster. Do ya need ta, at least partially, machine quilt it? Would that help?
Again how do ya hand quilt? With a hoop, frame, or in your lap: w/a thimble (if so what kind): single stitch, double,triple or quadruple? How big is it? What kind of blocks does it have? Is there any other way we can help ya?

Oops! Ya posted while I was typing. Ya already answered these questions.

Last edited by dublb; 05-30-2012 at 04:48 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:08 PM

I bet that Daisy chain is gonna be lovely! Can ya SID (Stitch in the Ditch) on your machine around the blocks then do that lovely daisy chain in the blocks? Would that cut down on the time?? I use a hoop also, but have you considered hand quiltin' hoopless? I hear that it is easier for some people.
What is a wanker??? I gotta learn new things!
Old 05-30-2012, 05:11 PM

i use 10's and a safety thimble usually i load three stitches, though sometimes only two.

um...what else would be helpful to know?

aileen
Old 05-30-2012, 05:19 PM

Have ya tried ta usein' 'Thread Heaven' or beeswax ta coat the thread? That seems ta help me quilt a little smoother, & maybe faster. I use a 10's also.