Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Ironing right beside sewing machine?

Hi all, I have a silly question. I don't remember if I sew mention of this here on the forums, or on someone's quilting blog, but I recall that some people have a set up where they can sew pieces together and have their iron right there with them.

Right now I am sewing and then getting up and walking to the ironing board about every 30-60 seconds!

So I Googled mini iron to see what came up... is this what people mean when they say they use a table side or table top iron right next to their machine?

[img]http://www.connectingthreads.com/ima...ular/81912.jpg[/img]

I can see how it would press JUST the seams, but I like pressing the whole piece each time. LOL!

Blog Entries
    JoAnns has a mini craft irnon fro about 11.00

I don't know about others but I set my regular iron up right along side my machine a TV tray works well, you can cover it with an old ironing board cover and a block fits on it nicely.

I bought the mini craft Iron but took it back, it didn't get hot enough for me.

My sewing table has a pull out ironing board on it so I don't have to get up to iron. I use my regular size iron. I also have a covered TV table on the other side, so I can iron on one side and cut on the other. It doesn't get any lazier than this.

Maria

k3n
    Blog Entries
    I have a little folding ironing board that I got from Ikea. My desk is L shaped so it's set up to the left of me. My chair has wheels so I can swivel and iron without getting up! Although sometimes I DO get up and down becasue it stops me getting a stiff neck! :D

I too have a iron station right next to my sewing machine. Its a little table top ironing board that I took the legs off and a regular iron. It is on top of my cutting table and right next to sewing machine. This works well as I don't have to get up to iron my blocks while sewing. Big pieces of fabric I iron with the regular ironing board although my next one is going to be the big one. That would make ironing all those yards of fabric easier after they are washed. The iron you pictured I also have but use it for applique. Ironing to freezer paper etc.

I also have one of those small fold up tables that I have a mat on and cut as I go when sewing. It works real well for paper piecing which I am just getting into and love.

Hope this helps you.

Rita

I have a small Rowenta I bought at JoAnn's and love it. you can also put water in it and steam.
    This small one is good for applique and gets really hot.

I find a way to chain piece pretty much everything I do so there's no need to press nearly as often as every minute. I also sew sitting on a fairly high stool so I guess I'm most of the way "up" when I do have to use the iron. I like getting up and down and walking around and changing tasks. It keeps sewing more of an active art form, for both mind and body. It works very well for me. :oops:

I have a small antique board that is right behind me while I sew at my machine. I have a swival desk chair so I just turn around and press when I need to. Pretty handy!

I bought the cheapest Black and Decker iron at Wal-Mart last week for around $10 just for quilting. I was surprised to find that it doesn't have auto turn-off, so it stays hot. My "good" iron drives me crazy with constantly shutting itself off.

I have a wonderful set up where the sewing machine is on a long table, and the iron is on another table next to it. I have three layers of batting as a cover and the television is next to that. I watch Law and Order and sew and press to my hearts content.

I actually put the ironing board in the basement, so that I have to get some exercise when I need parts ironed...

I set a small table with an ironing mat on it beside my sewing machine.
    Makes it nice when I'm piecing.

Blog Entries
    I covered a thick piece of plywood with one layer of cotton batting and then heavy cotton canvas. You don't want your block to be ironed on any spongy surface, it will distort if it sinks into the ironing cover. I put it on top of a wooden tv tray next to my machine. The table my machine is on, the tray can be pushed underneath the table when I'm not using it. The mini irons get very hot and too awkward for me to have next to the machine.

I have a small ironing pad (approx 13" square) and use my regular iron with it. I set it on the right, next to my sewing machine. I've heard people make their own from plywood and cotton batting, covered with canvas or muslin.

I use a clover iron like that for applique. For an "ironing board", I use a reversable cutting mat/ironing pad on top f a wooden tray table from Wally World. The advantage of the clover is that it can fit into tight areas and takes no time to heat up.. I do not like the clover tile that came with it - that little iron gets too hot to be safe, so I keep an old coffee mug around to use as a more stable holder. The new ones have snazzy attachments to cut templates and such, but I have not tried them.

There's also the kind that looks like a tiny iron.

My ironing board is at the same height as my sewing table. I have a computer chair (no arms) that I just turn around to get to the ironing board. In my old sewing room, I would put the ironing board at the same height as my table but just move it next to me. Then when I needed to iron, it was right there. No getting up or down.

I have a small tabletop ironing board. I recovered it and found it's solid enough to press blocks (not cushy). I actually have it on my big ironing board and I constantly get up and down, too..........so now, the decision --- get more exercise or move it!!! :lol: I think I'll do some of the above suggestions and put it on my right next to the sewing machine!!!! :mrgreen:

I made a four foot ironing table using cotton chintz draped over 3 layers of felted wool on top of plywood which all rests on a folding table.

It sits right next to my sewing machine, but I still have to stand up so I will press and not iron the seams open!

Blog Entries
    I had my regular steam iron set up right next to my machine, like many of you, but then noticed it was causing my sewing machine screen (computorized) to blink. I moved my iron to the other side of the room and a different outlet. It wasn't worth it to me to chance ruining my sewing machine. Now I don't seem to have this problem.

my cutting table is right next to my sewing machine...I set up my ironing mat right at the corner next to me...got out my old travel iron and it works great...

farscapegal
    I have my iron on the other side of the room from my machine. I don't like sitting that long and prefer getting up and moving around even if it means a 100 times a day (or more).

Sybil

Blog Entries
    I have a small ironing board that I can set up by my machine OR I have dropped the hight of my regular board level with the sewing table and set it next to the machine.

Can't say a lot of good things about that iron for standard press work (great for applique).

I still get up and walk to the ironing board or I'll have a flat butt at the end of a project.

Blog Entries
    I iron right next to my sewing machine, with a small table top board, and a travel iron, the kind you take on holiday with. Mine has a collapsible handle, though it never gets folded up. It has steam capability, but I generally use a water spray bottle instead. I do have one of the clover mini irons, but only use that infrequently, mostly for applique.

You will definitely want to incorporate some of the ideas here! I am fortunate to have a table with an extension that I set up my ironing pad and my iron on. All I have to do is swivel to my left. The pad is one of those June Taylor Cut N Press things. The cut side is awful and I have never used it, but the press side is invaluable! It is horribly raggedy now, but I found a new pressing pad at a quilt show recently, so it will be replaced. I like my full size iron. I've heard the Clover mini irons are not what they used to be. Can anyone attest to this? I am still interested in them.

ETA: As for the excersize factor: It is good to get and move during those marathon sewing sessions, and sometimes I forego the convenience and do just that! For the most part, I am still a slave to my treadmill and worship it each morning, LOL!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast