Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ironing right beside sewing machine? >

Ironing right beside sewing machine?

Ironing right beside sewing machine?

Old 06-10-2017, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by jan22 View Post
I set my regular size ironing board just behind me and adjust it to a lower height. I use an office type chair that swivels so when I'm ready to iron, I simply turn around in my chair and press. Don't have to stand or get up, makes it sound like I'm sorta lazy, but it does save time. While on the subject of irons and ironing boards, I recently caught my foot in the cord of my iron and knocked it on the floor. It landed right side up on the area rug and left the shape of the iron burnt into it. Not good for polyester blend rugs. To solve that problem, I took a very large safety pin (remember the diaper pins before pampers??) and pinned it to the opposite side of the ironing board. By running the cord through the safety pin it slides when it needs to and keeps the cord away from clumzy me.
Goodness me, what a neat idea! On my way to give it a try.
Old 06-10-2017, 02:02 PM
Power Poster

My setup is this way due to the size of the room. Actually it is part of the bedroom. I have a six foot table with the sewing machine on the right, the cutting mat in the middle and the iron on the left end. The ironing board is a miniature that stands next to the television. I just put it on the cutting mat when I need it.

One thing....this house is so old that I have to turn off the air conditioning before I turn on the iron, so I have to get up also. Anyone remember "Green Acres"?
Old 06-10-2017, 04:03 PM

I have my ironing board set up to the left of my machine, so all I have to so is swivel around in my chair to do the pressing. On the right I have a table to do the pinning and trimming on. It is set in a U-shape. Very comfortable.
Old 06-10-2017, 05:54 PM

My oslo iron is in the next room, but I have a craft iron (those 4" little guys) beside me on a 24" square covered board, that is covered with a pillow case. I stretch out my chain stitched pieces and press quickly to the darkside. I also am a glue baster for some perfect seam/point matches and the pillowcase protects my iron board/surface from getting yucky. but when the block/row is done.....off to the serious steam press and starch, then block and trim.
Old 06-11-2017, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Boston1954 View Post

One thing....this house is so old that I have to turn off the air conditioning before I turn on the iron, so I have to get up also. Anyone remember "Green Acres"?
Got a chuckle out of this. Green Acres, too funny!

I have a travel iron and use the June Taylor thing on my cutting table which I have to move to cut anything over about 15." Not the ideal setup. I really like the tray table idea. I think I'll be on the lookout for one. I've always thought it was a good idea to get up and move too but this is not working for me. Thanks for all the tips. You gals are great!
Old 06-16-2017, 09:55 AM

Tried to have the iron beside me, but couldn't get used to it. I'd rather just get up and down to use the regular ironing board I guess.

Watson