Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ironing right beside sewing machine? >

Ironing right beside sewing machine?

Ironing right beside sewing machine?

Old 10-01-2009, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Shelley
I actually put the ironing board in the basement, so that I have to get some exercise when I need parts ironed...
I like this idea - I sometimes just put the ironing board and iron in another room just so I can move. I chain sew for a while and then go iron and snip apart. I also can set up the ironing station right beside my machine and do that when I'm constructing blocks or strip sets.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:36 PM

I have both but I like the big iron because it is hotter. i just made an ironing table to fit on top of the treadle machine so it is just a couple steps away. I sew all I can then I iron and sew again if need be. I put a titanium cloth on top of plywood and a rack to hold the iron so it isn't in the way for wide things.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:58 PM

I have a regular ironing board set up behind my swivel sewing chair ( I use a horn sewing table) and when I am ready to press a seam after sewing, just swivel around, press and don't have to get up. ( Not like I don't need the exercise.) :mrgreen:

Works for me!

Old 10-02-2009, 09:13 AM
Nzm

You can also buy one of those travel irons at Walgreens for under $10 and make your little ironing table by using a TV tray with an ironing pad on top of it [could be stapled onto it, if you got a wood one [i picked up one at Goodwill for 99cents..
Old 10-02-2009, 09:30 AM

Location: From WI then Denver then Houston and now Hainesville, IL

I made "colapsable" table for near my machine out of a tv tray table.
I covered with batting and then good weight home dec material and stapled on underside (like i was re-covering the top)
It is the most used creation I have ever made!
I can move anywhere near me and put in closet when done!

You have to try it!
Old 10-02-2009, 10:20 AM

I have my ironing board right next to my sewing table and put down to the same height, also have a rolling office chair so not even getting up, makes it quicker for me :wink: .....
Old 10-02-2009, 12:41 PM

I bought both kinds of the travel irons at Walgreen's, tried them out on the fabric and they didn't work worth a hoot. The plate of the iron was rough and I was afraid I would ruin the work I had already done. So I returned them both, am sticking with what I have now, a Sunbeam, which I am not particularly keen on either, auto turn off. Turns off when I need it the most. I think I will ask Santa Claus for a really nice one, just for my quilting! I would appreciate knowing what a really good iron is - but not one that we would have to mortgage the house for. Also, I have rearranged my sewing area. I am looking out the window, I will have the bird feeders up shortly and I think I will have the sweetest little sewing area and I can swivel in my chair whichever way I want to go, iron here, cut there, sew wherever. I am so content!Thanks. Edie
Old 10-03-2009, 04:49 AM
Nzm

Sorry the irons didnt work out for you - I had got one long ago. Do you leave the bird feeders up all winter? we moved to Minn from Wisc. last summer, but winter down in Chandler, AZ, so I feed the birds down there. Hope Santa gets you the iron you want..
Old 10-03-2009, 06:48 AM

I put out the bird feeders around the second week in October and putthem away when the ground is soft enough for them to forage for themselves. Little buggers! My favorite is the Chickadee. Why, you ask? Because my Mother calls it the Edie Bird and my name is Edie and if you listen to it it says "Edieeeee". Honest, you'll never forget that! Where in Wisconsin are you from (we have rellies all over Wisc) and where in Minnesota are you now? Are you one of thems that are caught between the cheesehead and the Viking horns? Glad you moved to Minnesota. We need all the help we can get! Edie :D

Old 10-03-2009, 11:07 AM
Nzm

Hi, We moved from Brookfield Wi to Maple Grove, MN. Have hooked up with a quilt group that meets at the comm. center, so I get a full day of quilting twice a month. They are great ladies and very helpful with suggestions & ideas. I too am glad to have moved here, tho I miss the friends back in Wisconsin.

We feed the birds while we are here during the summer - grandson loves to watch them & we have a chickadee nest in the tall evergreen by the house.