Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best "work horse - no frills sewing machine"??? >

Best "work horse - no frills sewing machine"???

Best "work horse - no frills sewing machine"???

Old 09-13-2011, 06:39 AM

This is Karen from Georgia - the one with the injured machine. (will be ready to pick up after Atlanta Sewing gets the parts in). $170 to repair a GREAT machine that a compatible machine would now cost $6000 (maybe less). Ok, I purchased the new 3 series made by Bernina (380) a week ago. It was a floor model so and the only one they had - so I got a good discount on it. Ok, it's much lighter than the Activa 170 (and much cheaper)- so the 380 will go to retreats, etc. In my sewing of quilts, I have found that I am having trouble with the top thread breaking (380) when I am sewing over seams for putting together quilt squares. It seems to me it just doesn't have the power like my other machine. It may just be that it doesn't have the power that the 170 Activa does. I know you have one and I am wondering if you have had any problems like this - or is it due to some issues because it was a floor model. Sorry to run on, but I would really like your thoughts!
Old 09-13-2011, 06:50 AM

Unless the store abuses their machines I wouldn't think the trouble is due to it being a floor model. I bought a floor model Janome about 4 years ago and never have had a bit of trouble with it and got full warranty. The store I bought it from always stays with customers when they try out their machines. On the other hand there was a store that loaned their machines to customers when they took a classes. Wouldn't buy a floor model from them. Hope you get your problem straightened out soon.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by barbt
I love my Bernina Artista 180.
me to :thumbup:
Old 09-13-2011, 07:22 AM

The more I sew, the more I'm convinced that computerized sewing machines, while capable of many things, just don't handle what my old Singers can. I saw the promos for the new Janome 12000 and wasn't impressed. I have the 11000 and like it. For straight sewing the Janome 1600 is a good machine. However, I just purchased an old Singer 401A and I'm in love with it. I also like my Featherweights for travel and taking to the trailer. I'm pretty much finished with spending the price of a used car on a sewing machine. It's not worth it to me anymore. I'm showing my age!:)
Old 09-13-2011, 07:25 AM

A Janome!
Old 09-13-2011, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by 4js
I have 3 featherweights - which I love but lately it seems that I have 1 or 2 in for repair all the time!! I use them to sew on ALWAYS!! My question is if you were investing in a "modern work horse" what would it be. I would like to have the thread cutter and needle up and down as part of the features. Is there such an animal??? 4js
My main sewing machine is a Bernina 440qee, however I wanted a long bed for machine quilting. I found a Brother 1500s for about $600 at all stitch.com. It has a big bed, thread cutter and needle up/down. It is only a straight stitch, or free motion but I don't need decorative stitches or fancy stitches as I have my bernina for that. The stitch quality is good and it is easy to use. The only thing I would change is I would have bought the next model up for a speed control. It has a heavy motor so it can sew easily through heavy layers. I have quilted about ten full size quilts on it and the extra room inside the harp is very nice and makes a big difference. It is a good companion to my Bernina.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by QultingaddictUK
I must admit that I like FRISTER&ROSSMAN machines as I find them so reliable, I have an old one and a neighbour had one too, her family gave her a new one for Christmas, a Singer, so she gave her old one to her grand children, she wish she didn't have to as she so preferred her F n R and the best thing about them is the price :shock: Check them out you might get a pleasant surprise.
All the F&R machines I have heard of are vintage. Is F&R still making machines?

As to the original question, I don't think any of the current machines could be considered a 'no-frills workhorse'. All of them are plastic, most have computers, and most that I have tried lack the power of my vintage machines. (My youngest machine is a 6570 Viking, circa 1979.) After working FT as a computer person, I will NOT have one in my sewing machine. My opinions, of course.

Good luck on your search. I hope you find a machine that pleases you.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:26 AM

My qestions have all been answered regarding the B380. I will keep you updated.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:30 AM

I go with all the folks who mentioned Jukis. I love, love, love my Juki 98Q. Although it only has straight stitch, it just can't be beat and it is wonderful for FMQ.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:41 AM

i love my brother 9000 igot it at walmart for 99.00 last years model it does every thing i love it suzieQ