Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best "work horse - no frills sewing machine"??? >

Best "work horse - no frills sewing machine"???

Best "work horse - no frills sewing machine"???

Old 09-13-2011, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by QultingaddictUK
I must admit that I like FRISTER&ROSSMAN machines as I find them so reliable, I have an old one and a neighbour had one too, her family gave her a new one for Christmas, a Singer, so she gave her old one to her grand children, she wish she didn't have to as she so preferred her F n R and the best thing about them is the price :shock: Check them out you might get a pleasant surprise.
Never heard of these machines. Will google! Thanks!
Old 09-14-2011, 01:58 AM

Hey everyone this is my 1st post. I am so excited. I shopped and shopped for the machine I really wanted and it is ordered. I have to wait a week for it. So happy a lot of you love your Janome 6600!!!!!
Old 09-14-2011, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt-Till-U-Wilt
Unless the store abuses their machines I wouldn't think the trouble is due to it being a floor model. I bought a floor model Janome about 4 years ago and never have had a bit of trouble with it and got full warranty. The store I bought it from always stays with customers when they try out their machines. On the other hand there was a store that loaned their machines to customers when they took a classes. Wouldn't buy a floor model from them. Hope you get your problem straightened out soon.
Well, spoke to Jack @ ASC yesterday. I was in such a hurry when I purchased my B380, I didn't have time to have it cleaned and service. As far as the power of the machine, it has the same motor (and power) as my Artista. I do also have the same hook mechanism, and got some ideas about the thread breaking. It does have a slight difference in for the threading (front) that is different. Jack said I could come on in and he would service it and make any adjustments that might need to be made. I am waiting to do that whenever I pick up my Artista. Will continue to keep everyone updated and sure appreciate your support. Sure would like to have a Koala quilt furniture - in fact - I would love to have my own sewing suite using that furniture. Not a possiblity - so don't focus on it often, LOL
Old 09-14-2011, 11:18 AM

IMHO the "modern workhorse" has to be the Janome 6600P - heavy duty, all metal construction, thread cutter, needle up/down, speed control, knee lift, large harp sewing area, dual-feed fabric control and offers more stitches than other high-speed machines do ... it will do anything you ask it to ! :)
Old 09-14-2011, 11:37 AM

[quote=Quilt Mom]
Originally Posted by QultingaddictUK

As to the original question, I don't think any of the current machines could be considered a 'no-frills workhorse'. All of them are plastic, most have computers, and most that I have tried lack the power of my vintage machines. (My youngest machine is a 6570 Viking, circa 1979.) After working FT as a computer person, I will NOT have one in my sewing machine. My opinions, of course.

Good luck on your search. I hope you find a machine that pleases you.
The Janome 6600P comes awfully close, it's heavy duty, metal construction - it's solid, weighs 26 lbs and sews through denim and canvas as well as it does cottons. I made new canvas cushions for patio chairs and some boat bags. About the only thing I haven't tried to sew on yet is leather ! :)
Old 09-14-2011, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Tinabodina
Hands down a Bernina!
Love my Bernina!
Old 09-14-2011, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by 4js
How heavy is this machine??? Is it to heavy to be carrying to retreats and other quilt activities??? Thanks??
the 15-91machine is rather heavy. If transporting, go with a Singer 301 machine, in my opinion. They are the sister machine for the featherweight (cheaper too) and can handle quite a workload.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by 4js
How heavy is it. I would like to find something lightweight also. I think I have to many "wants". Thanks for answering!! 4js
The Janome 3160 is 12 pounds, has some of the same features as the 6600 -- including some fancy stitches. I use mine mainly for class, though it has been sneaking into the living room a bit lately since the sewing room is downstairs. It has a great stitch and a thread cutter.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by The Ivory Thimble
Hey everyone this is my 1st post. I am so excited. I shopped and shopped for the machine I really wanted and it is ordered. I have to wait a week for it. So happy a lot of you love your Janome 6600!!!!!
Excited for you ! But not sure, what did you decide on ??
Old 09-15-2011, 08:30 AM

I bought a singer from Sears back in 1973, and it is still working great, with only a tune up once back in 1980... A oil job last year and it is working great...
but I am reading about all the other brands, on this site. taking notes so I will know what to get IF mine dies........