Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Best Applique instruction book for a beginner

Best Applique instruction book for a beginner

I'm just starting to learn about applique.....any suggestions for a good instruction book? Name and author would be helpful. Many thanks, Julie

Blog Entries
    http://www.amazon.com/Applique-Basic...words=applique

Wonderful book. You can get a used one reasonably prices on Amazon.

"Applique the Basics and Beyond: The Complete Guide to Successful Machine and Hand Techniques" by Janet Pittman

"I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Blog Entries
    Are you more interested in hand applique or machine applique? I taught myself machine applique using Harriet Hargrave's book. It has wonderful detailed explanations and photos. Here is a link:
    http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Mach...dp/157120136X/

If you are thinking of trying needle turn applique, I learned from Dierdra McElroy. She published the book That Invisible Stitch. She has really wonderful information about how to clip curves, turn the fabric under & smoothing the edge of the applique -- plus the basics about taking applique stitches and whatnot.

Blog Entries
    Learn Applique the Piece of Cake Way; Becky Goldsmith from Piece Of Cake Quilts
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Wool Applique the Piece of Cake Way -- would that be a good book if I can't get the one you mention?

Blog Entries
    Wool applique is a raw-edge technique that does not work for quilting fabrics, so it would not be a good substitute (unless you are only interested in wool applique).

There seem to be several versions of the Piece o Cake book. Here is a link to them on Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ce+of+Cake+Way

Super Member sewingitalltogether's Avatar
    Ok, I think that all of these books are great. They are all going to cover transferring the pattern to your template material. Marking your fabric,placing you pieces and your needle turn technique. I'd pick one of the newer books. But they all do a pretty good job of explaining. Get an applique book that you want to make something in the book.

If you can't take a class from a teacher, I suggest you try to find some DVDs, rather than books. For hand applique, I would suggest Pearl P. Pereira or Karen Kay Buckley. You need to remember that there are many different methods of preparing your pieces -- needleturn, template and starch, back basting. There is no "right way", but many methods. Explore them all and decide what works best for you. I sometimes use more than one method in the same block. Search YouTube for tutorials.

Try looking at the video and written tutorials on One Piece At A Time - Erin Russek's website. She has free patterns and applique and pieced block BOMs. Her tutorials are detailed and have great pictures.

http://erinrussek.typepad.com/one-pi...lique-lessons/

Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

Blog Entries
    Have you looked on utube. I've learnt a great deal watching the short videos on specific method.
    Finished is better than a UFO

My applique book of choice is Pat Campbell book(her first one) in which she shows in detail needle turn, etc.

Just a little input as to applique books for sale. There is a large lot of applique books on sale at e bay this morning by a gal in Washington. There was beginning to more advanced ones in the lot of books she had on sale for about what one would cost.

I can't tell you her name, but if you go to E Bay and put in quilt pattern and then click on the lot tab you will see many lots of books. (A lot being a multitude for one price) There is one that is a lot or I think seven or nine? You will see it once you are there. This would carry you a long ways toward learning everything and have some nice designs to work with. I am not affiliated in any way, I just saw them this morning and thought what a great deal that was. I got nineteen hard back books for eighteen dollars this morning on quilt designs and designing. Merry Christmas to me! LOL...
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

Applique' Basics by Jane Whitman is a very good book. I applique' and have also taught applique' and I recommend this book.
    Those who are piecemakers will sew seeds.

Hugs,
    Drue

Pearl Pereira has a fabulous book. Spiral bound with lots of pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by beaqltr View Post
    Try looking at the video and written tutorials on One Piece At A Time - Erin Russek's website. She has free patterns and applique and pieced block BOMs. Her tutorials are detailed and have great pictures.

http://erinrussek.typepad.com/one-pi...lique-lessons/

Thanks for sharing this link. I really do like her method.
    Have a blessed day.

Linda

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    Learn Applique the Piece of Cake Way; Becky Goldsmith from Piece Of Cake Quilts
    I agree. They also have a dvd on their web sight. Also some tutorials on You Tube from Becky Goldsmith.

Lots of good suggestions - if you are a visual learner as i am the youtube options is very helpful. There are a variety of applique methods - personally i enjoy needle turn over other methods but try a few methods and find what is fun for you!

How about a Craftsy class. They are great and cover the subject well.