Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best beginner machine???? >

Best beginner machine????

Best beginner machine????

Old 10-08-2016, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Jo Anne B. View Post
While visiting the AQS show in DSM I took a look at the new Juki 2200 Show price was $999, the Juki 2010 is no longer made. Juki 2200 is on my wish list! Straight stitch only machine.
At the Madison Quilt Expo the TL2200QVP standup was $7995 and the sit down was much less. We bought the sit down for $4495. The sit down has no stitch regulator and comes with a table; we did not buy any of the table extensions. It's just how my wife is use to free motion with her Brother machine but with an 18" harp space and a 10" tall throat. I just finished doing some free motion on it myself. Sweet!

Sorry to get this off topic, but I think that the original op on this thread was talking about machines in the sub $1500 street price category. So to tie this back into the original question: after you decide on which machine, a quilt show can be a great place to buy. Even though you are buying at a show, try to find someone that is within driving range to repair it and not three states away. With a longarm or midarm machine you want someone who can come to the house to fix it since it probably isn't going in the trunk to drive to the shop.

Last edited by Clay; 10-08-2016 at 11:23 AM.
Old 10-08-2016, 11:26 AM

Just to clarify: there is a "mini" 2200 and a Longarm 2200.
Old 10-08-2016, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Jo Anne B. View Post
Just to clarify: there is a "mini" 2200 and a Longarm 2200.
There are three machines in the QVP line. There is not a mini 2200QVP, the mini is the DX2000QVP. It's called the mini because it is the smallest of the QVP series. There is a standup long arm with stitch regulator which is called a TL2200QVP and it comes standard with a 10' frame made by Grace and you can buy a 2' extension to make it a 12' frame. The TL2200QVP with the 10' frame was $7995 at the recent show in Madison, WI. If you wanted the 2' extension or rear handle bars that was an extra option. I almost bought that machine, but we didn't want to make room for that monster. We ended up with the TL2200QVP sitdown machine. Hopefully, I saved you two grand $$$. Keep shopping, that $9995 price is not a good one.

Did you go to the Des Moines Quilt week? I think that Friday was the last day there and I think the same vendors that were at the show in Madison were suppose to be there. Feel free to send me a pm if you have any more questions.

Edited to add one more note: There is ZERO percent financing availabe for 60 months right now even at the sale prices on the longarms. Some want to give you the ZERO percent financing but they want to sell the machine at it's normal street price. The prices I mentioned were again just a special show price, but if you hit it right, there are better deals available out there. Again, it like jewerly. The margins are bigger than you might imagine at first, but no one wants to say that out loud.

Last edited by Clay; 10-08-2016 at 12:13 PM.
Old 10-08-2016, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Christine- View Post
Have you gone into a sewing machine dealer yet? Try stopping by a shop or two and take some time playing with a few machines. That will help you more than anything else.
That's what I did since I had no clue about machines or what I needed. The dealers asked me what I'd be using it for and what I'd like on it. All were kind and patient. I ended up going for a Babylock Melody.
Old 10-08-2016, 02:20 PM

Boy, did I misread your post earlier Jo Anne. I thought that you said that you found the TL2200 QVP for $9999. I only saw an extra "9" in your number. I made a mistake by only $9000. Sometimes we see what we want to see I guess. When you said 2200, I was thinking that was the list price for that machine and not a good street price.

Apologies again.

On the DX2000 QVP. A grand is a very good price I think and I also think that is a fantastic machine. If it would have been available a year ago, we would have bought that one.
Old 10-08-2016, 10:15 PM

If I were you, I would not invest all my budget in one machine. I would probably try to buy a workhorse straight stitch machine similar to a Juki TL 98, 2000 or 2010. They are fantastic machines because of their reliability and stitch quality and then buy a good used high end computerized machine or a inexpensive Brother that has all the bells and whistles for crafting. That way if you are displeased with one machine choice, you may be pleased with the other. I know I sound like an investment coach, but I would diversify.
Old 10-09-2016, 03:02 AM

PaperPrincess and Onebyone have given you great advice.

As you can see, there are a lot of excellent machines out there and each one of us swears that their machine is the best.
I am a Pfaff person myself, but I have had and sold Vikings, had Babylocks and have a featherweight. I love the IDT that Pfaff has (Integrated Dual Transportation aka built in walking foot) and would not sew without it. The real answer is that they all make (for the most part) good machines.

Make a list and prioritize it. Try out lots of machines and choose one based on features, cost and the ability to have it repaired locally if the need arises. Do not neglect to look on Craigslist - a lot of time you can find a machine locally for a good price. If you go the route of purchasing from a dealer - DO NOT hesitate to bargain. I was amazed when I worked for Viking the deals they would make. If it is not negotiable on price, they can throw in walking feet, acrylic tables all sorts of stuff! Good luck with your search.
Old 10-09-2016, 08:12 AM

I think making a list and knowing what you want in a machine are good places to start. Happy hunting!
Old 10-09-2016, 11:25 AM

Thanks for ALL the great advice! I found my dream (for now) machine! I appreciate all the great ideas and info on how to find exactly what I needed! Now I'm super excited to start some new projects!
Old 10-09-2016, 11:47 AM

Tell us which one you bought!