Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best book for wholecloth and/or trapunto patterns >

Best book for wholecloth and/or trapunto patterns

Best book for wholecloth and/or trapunto patterns

Old 11-17-2013, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by leatheflea View Post
I noticed that one of the books on amazon is overpriced. Here's her website, they can be ordered directly from her, you might even be able to get it autographed it you ask!

http://www.designerquilts.com/products.html
The one that is overpriced is out of print- the website just tells you to try amazon for a used copy.

I've found that interlibrary loan is a wonderful thing for books like that!
Old 11-17-2013, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Holice View Post
Check out the book...Trapunto By Machine... By Hari Walner. Also consider a series of stencils. One of the stencil manufactures produced a series of stencils based on whole cloth quilts in the collection of Old Sturbridge Village. Stencils are available that can be combined into larger sizes. Since I have designed many in all sizes, it would take much space to give all info. Perhaps these suggestions will get you started.
Thanks, I'll add that book to my Christmas list. It was also available from my ordinary on-line book store. I'll look out for the stencils. However, I need to find a dealer with reasonable shipping because anything quilting-related is super expensive here in Sweden.

There isn't much quilting related at the libraries either. Anything that I have found is in swedish is 90% about putting square pieces together and quilting in the ditch. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with that - but it's not quite what I'm after.

Just about time to hit the sac and then another business trip this week. I feel my work is eating in to my quilting time!
Old 11-17-2013, 05:27 PM

Hari walner has a few good books
Old 11-17-2013, 10:07 PM

Thanks! Ok, so I now have four books to chose from. Their not very expensive but I still don't want to get all four of them. Which one is your favorite? And which one should I get? The "tagline" offered by the online book store doesn't really give me much help.

Continuous-line Quilting Designs
Hari Walner

Trapunto by Machine - Print on Demand Edition
Hari Walner, Diana Roberts, Elizabeth Aneloski

Secrets of Elemental Quilting: Innovative Quilting Designs Plus Trapunto Tips & Tricks [With DVD]
Karen McTavish

Custom Curves [With DVD]
Karen McTavish
Old 11-17-2013, 11:25 PM

I've looked on Amazon and I was able to preview the "Continous Line Quilting". It looks very promising.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]447481[/ATTACH]

But I also feel like I would enjoy one by McTavish so perhaps the custom curves?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]447482[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails continuous-line-quilting-designs.jpg   custom-curves-dvd.jpg  
Old 01-01-2014, 10:57 AM

Santa got me these two books for Christmas. I just wanted to give a review now that I've had a chance to look through them. I think they are great books. A bit different style in both of them and they complement each other really well. I've already used one of the patterns in the "Continuous Line"-book.

The DVD in the second book I could have been without. It was really tedious. Perhaps it picks up further along and I might give it another try when I'm in the mood.

Anyway, thanks for the input everyone. I now have two great resources for quilting designs!
Old 01-01-2014, 11:20 AM

You might try www.albris.com, www.abebooks.com or www.bookfinder.com At least you could compare prices on the books mentioned in previous posts.