Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The best iron--I found it. >

The best iron--I found it.

The best iron--I found it.

Old 10-24-2018, 10:37 AM

Default The best iron--I found it.

Each of us have our favorites of just about everything. I have found the perfect iron for me. It is the Black and Decker Digital Advantage iron.

I have owned one for numerous years and have kept it in its little travel bag ready for the next sewing adventure away from home. During those years I have had Oleso, Rowenta, and a couple brands I don't recall. None have lasted nor been as perfect as my Advantage. My last iron leaks badly (Rowenta) so I just got a new Advantage. And the instructions say that to empty at the end of the day is Optional! If it leaks I'll let you know, as I do hate emptying my iron every day because I sew in the lower level of the house where there is no sink. This is, of course, all my own humble opinion although I sure wish Black and Decker wanted to pay me to say my piece. Happy Sewing.

Grammahunt

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-24-2018 at 11:42 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 10-24-2018, 10:56 AM

I've had that one and agree, it's a great iron.

I'm currently using an iron I found at my local hardware store, of all places, for $20. I bought it because it has no automatic shut-off.

There are definitely advantages and disadvantages to features. Another great iron I own is the Reliable Digital Velocity. It is an awesome steam powerhouse, heavy, great for pressing backs, yardage, stubborn wrinkles, etc. It can get quite heavy, so this smaller, lighter hardware store find is great for piecing, classes, retreats, etc.
Old 10-24-2018, 12:10 PM

My favorite iron is a Sunbeam that I have had for about 20 years. The first one I purchased did not have auto shut off, so I gave it to my Mother and bought another with auto shut off. Has served me well, never put water in it, just have a spray bottle on my ironing board. My Mother still has hers too.
Old 10-24-2018, 03:46 PM

My best: a travel iron from a garage sale for $1.00.
Old 10-24-2018, 07:41 PM

Ummm...Are we supposed to empty the water daily? I seriously have never done that!
Old 10-25-2018, 03:08 AM

So far the best iron I've had is the Continental brand that I got from The Vermont Country store. Dry iron, no steam, no auto shut off and is heavy. I just spritz a little mist on what I need ironed and I'm good to go.
Old 10-25-2018, 03:17 AM

I bought the Digital Advantage about 2 years ago after having had a dissatisfied experience with a Rowenta...it’s a great iron and about a third of the price of a Rowenta.
Old 10-25-2018, 03:43 AM

I have this iron as well. I have had it for at least 3 years. I can't remember when I bought it. I haven't had any issues with it. I use water in it always and have never emptied it.
Old 10-25-2018, 03:46 AM

Am I wrong, but I believe I’m seeing a lot of OLD brand names here. LOL. I’m using my MIL ‘s old black and decker. I tried a Rowena, hated it, tried the Oslo that jumped up every Time you set it down, didn’t like it. I’m going to look at the advantage whenever my Old BD gives out. I got one of the small steamfast’s for 25.00. Love it also. No more expensive new age irons for me. Good thread.
Old 10-25-2018, 03:56 AM

I have been using a Panasonic cordless iron for over 5 years now. I absolutely love it! I will never buy an iron with a cord again. It is so much easier to use a cordless iron for your fabrics. The only thing I don't like about it is the auto-off feature, but I realize that is a safety issue, so I don't complain.