Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The best iron--I found it. >

The best iron--I found it.

The best iron--I found it.

Old 10-25-2018, 04:39 AM

I had a reliable and felt I was filling it all the time. Was disappointed with it for the price.
Old 10-25-2018, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by juliea9967 View Post
I have been using a Panasonic cordless iron for over 5 years now. I absolutely love it! I will never buy an iron with a cord again. It is so much easier to use a cordless iron for your fabrics. The only thing I don't like about it is the auto-off feature, but I realize that is a safety issue, so I don't complain.
Me too, I had mine for over 20 years. I like the kind that can be either corded or cordless.
Old 10-25-2018, 05:08 AM
Power Poster

I have found through trial and error that the cheaper the iron the more I like it. No more expensive ones for me.
Glad you found a good one!
Old 10-25-2018, 05:09 AM

I just bought this iron about a month ago, and I love it!!! The only minor quibble I have with it is that you have to push the button to move to different heat levels every time you turn it on as it goes to the lowest setting when you turn it off. I kind of like having the dial that I set to what I generally use, and it is always there. That is being super nit-picky though and the rest of it is so great I can live with that!

It has been a great iron thus far, heats up quickly. It does have an auto off, and it will beep to let you know it is going off. However, when you pick it up and tilt it over to iron, it wakes itself back up, so to speak, and heats right back up. I love that! No drips, great steam output.
Old 10-25-2018, 06:24 AM
Power Poster

I really like the Eureka 1800 watt. So far it's been great and going on three years. I don't empty it, I just refill it when low. The main thing for any iron is to keep the steam off when adding water until the iron has heated to the steam temp. If you don't let it heat up before turning on the steam it will start sputtering and spewing.
Old 10-25-2018, 06:39 AM
Power Poster

Glad you have found an iron that works great for you.
I have a B & D Classic.
Old 10-25-2018, 06:48 AM

KwiltyKathy. Could you tell me how a corded/cordless iron works? Also brand name please. Sound like what I have
been looking for. Thanks
Old 10-25-2018, 08:35 AM

I bought this iron to replace a 30-year-old Sunbeam and only used it twice before I put it away into the back of my closet. Constantly having to reset the temperature drove me nuts. See Dawn Furlong's post. I'd sew a block, turn on the iron, set the temperature and press my block. Back to the machine, sew another block and the iron had turned itself off and the temperature had to be reset all over again. Glad I didn't throw out my old Sunbeam - I set it to Cotton and there it stays.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:57 AM

I bought a Digital Advantage iron 10 years ago and I just loved it, but the "clean me!" light started going on all the time, so I quit using it. There was a build-up of white mineral-y crud that kept coming out of the holes, probably because I never emptied it after I used it. I found an older Black & Decker Classic at the thrift store and it doesn't have auto shut-off.

I like it well enough, but I also bought a Hamilton Beach Retro iron that has a 30 minute auto shut-off, so it takes much longer than any of the other ones to shut off. They're both "fine", but I still loved that Digital Advantage more than these. I think I was trying to find one that I like as much as that one.

But then last year I treated myself to a Panasonic cordless iron, based on all of the glowing reviews I read here and on the MSQC forum and, Oh My Goodness, I'm in love all over again! That iron is wonderful! But having said that, I'm still thinking about buying another Digital Advantage.Yes, it shuts off pretty quickly, but it heats up really fast too. And I didn't mind having to reset the temperature - after a while it just became "muscle memory" and I didn't even think about it.

The only thing stopping me is the collection of irons I seem to have acquired, quite unintentionally. Right now I can't justify buying another one until one or two of the ones I have already, go kaput. (OOPS! Now how did those irons fall off the balcony?!)

Last edited by SherylM; 10-25-2018 at 10:06 AM.
Old 10-25-2018, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by SherylM View Post
There was a build-up of this white mineral-y crud that kept coming out of the holes, probably because I never emptied it after I used it.
Try this: empty all water, fill with vinegar and let it sit for a couple of days. Empty the vinegar, fill with water and turn on. When it's hot, set it to steam and hold it vertical over the sink. Let it actively steam for a few minutes. Dump the rest out and you should be good to go. If the build-up is really bad, you might soak it longer, or repeat the process. You can also try heating the vinegar in the iron, steam it out, then rinse with water.