Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best Iron for Quilters >

Best Iron for Quilters

Best Iron for Quilters

Old 03-28-2018, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I don't care about brand anymore, as long as it is 1800 watts. Right now I have the Eureka and I like it.
I want 1700 or 1800 Watts too
Old 03-28-2018, 04:40 PM
Power Poster

I use a B & D Classic. It gets hot, and is not a lightweight.
Old 03-29-2018, 12:20 AM

My most recent purchase was a Steamfast, it gets very hot. I never use water in my iron--use a spray bottle or water or Best Press. It fits my very small sewing room by not having a large foot print. I hope to get another one for my away sewing days. However, I still love my Rowenta, but it just takes up too much space.
Old 03-30-2018, 06:49 PM

I use this one on a little table for pressing seams or little wrinkles, as I'm lazy and don't like to get up frequently.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It does not get warm enough to press out persistent wrinkles, and it takes forever if I don't get my shark iron out for large fabric pieces.
Old 03-31-2018, 03:26 AM

I have a cheap Black and Decker that I got on sale at walmart 15 or 20 years ago. It gets good and hot. I use a spray bottle with water if I need steam for stubborn wrinkles. I also starch fabric if I’m doing a project that requires lots of bias cut pieces. Had an expensive Singer that was a promo item thrown in with a furniture purchase. it retailed for close to $100, never got hot enough, had to use it on highest setting, had auto shut off (what a pain). And died after 6 years. Threw it away and Retrieved the Black and Decker from the laundry room...

Rob
Old 03-31-2018, 03:57 AM

I had a gift certificate and went all in with a Rowena steam generator iron setup. It's great for me. I asked Jordan fabrics what they thought of it before I bought it since I saw it in their videos. It gets really hot, can be used dry or, with the press of a button, forces out steam, doesn't shut off automatically, the iron itself is light (since the water is in a separate tank) and can be used for 6 or 7 hours without having to refill.....I love it but 'it ain't cheap'....
Old 03-31-2018, 07:36 AM

I have a spray bottle and an Electrolux (never heard of that brand before I got this one) iron, have had it for maybe 6-7 yrs...I am keeping my eyes open for a dry Continental iron at the thrift stores...no holes in the soleplate.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:43 PM

I had a full sized Rowenta that smoked (literally) after a few years so I bought a B&D and it quilt working after 3 months. Bought the Panasonic with the titanium bottom (it is easier to clean the plate when I use starch) and it has worked well. I am going to have to go to a lighter iron and am looking at the Panasonic cordless. I don't use water anymore. I also have a portable Rowenta that has never had water and works ok, but for a lot of heavy duty pressing it is too light.
Old 04-05-2018, 02:22 AM

I have a $15 Sunbeam that I bought from Big Lots thirty years ago, so thought I deserved a fancy-dancy one with all of the bells and whistles. I paid $49 for a digital Black & Decker - every time one stands the iron up, the digital temperature clears itself and everything has to be re-set. Not much fun when ironing a bunch of half-squares. So after a couple of uses it's back in the box and I'm using the $15 Sunbeam again. So glad I didn't throw it out in all the excitement of getting a new iron.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Up North View Post
Needed one quick after my grandon poured black paint in my water resivoire. LOL
Sorry for the laughter, or can you hear me? This reminds me of growing up in a houseful of boys, where we older girls were held responsible for any mischief "the boys" got into.