Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best Iron for Quilters >

Best Iron for Quilters

Best Iron for Quilters

Old 02-12-2018, 06:59 AM

Default Best Iron for Quilters

I'm in the market for a new iron. I've looked online and read tons of reviews...very conflicting. I thought this group would have the best advice. TIA!
Old 02-12-2018, 09:19 AM

I thinks its one of those "Ask a 100 people and get 100 answers" Many of us like the cheap ones and find they do everything we want. Other don't. Good luck with your search!
Old 02-12-2018, 09:47 AM

My current is a orange one from Walmart. $7.00, gets really hot, no automatic shut off, Don't fill the reservoir completely full or it will spit. Which as far as I know from experience makes them all spit.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:58 AM

I recommend a cheapo big box iron, mine is great, I do not put water in my irons anymore, it tends to kill even the expensive ones, I use a spray bottle.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:00 AM

Any brand that you like and feels comfortable in your hand (not too heavy, etc.). My advice, given to me long ago by my uncle who was a garment worker on Seventh Avenue (New York), was that never, ever, ever put water into an iron. The water will cause the inner workings of the iron to rot out and leak. Spritz or spray your fabric with water then iron with a dry iron - no steam. The wet fabric and dry iron makes steam.

I use a Shark iron from Walmart. Have used the cheaper irons, too, and they work just as good. Had Rowenta irons for a while and didn't think they preformed any better than the $7 Walmart version.

Just my 2 cents...which may only we worth a penny. LOL
Old 02-12-2018, 11:03 AM

I have a hard time finding one that gets hot... and I don't like the auto shut off so much either...........so I will be watching this thread myself
Old 02-12-2018, 11:10 AM
Power Poster

After buying an expensive one that leaked I only buy cheap irons now. I'm happy with them.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:25 AM
Banned

I use a Vintage iron from Goodwill. No auto shut off and it gets Hot!

Cari
Old 02-12-2018, 11:44 AM

Cari is on the right track. The irons I like the best are the older ones. The one I got when I was first married was wonderful - it got hot, stayed hot and I was a fool to let it go. But I wanted one of those fancy ones with the teflon on it - well, that was fine until the teflon was coming off and suddenly leaving brown marks on everything I ironed. Then I replaced it with a beautiful iron I got at Costco - not sure of the brand - it cost about $30 - but it doesn't get as hot, and the auto shut off I swear started each time I set it up right. So then I visited my friend in Phoenix - she has the Rowenta, quite a few years old, and it gets hot! And she uses water all the time. So I was going to order one like hers until I read so many reviews and the were not really great for the amount of money. But one thing I did notice it is 1800 watt instead of 1500 watt - so many people had more positive reviews for the Shark brand and about $50.00 cheaper. Much to my family's dismay - that was what I wanted for Christmas (they hate to get me practical items - but for me it was a luxury for my quilting since I already have a functional iron). I have been using it since and it has been wonderful. I have not put water in it - I grew up with a mother that used a spray bottle and too many bad experiences with the spray so gave it up.

I wish you success on your hunt. I would suggest you buy from a Retailer that you know you can return it if you don't like it. The Shark I have is the Bed, Bath & Beyond.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:51 PM

I think I paid 5 or 6 dollars for my iron it works great,I got it at Dollar general it is a conntinental. Needed one quick after my grandon poured black paint in my water resivoire. LOL