Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best Laid Plans..... >

Best Laid Plans.....

Best Laid Plans.....

Old 02-06-2020, 01:34 AM

It's 3:30 am where I'm at...been up for an hour or more because sleep doesn't like me. I've honestly looked at your picture and what is wrong with it isn't sinking into my brain. Looks great to me! should I look again after coffee this morning?? You always do such great work, I'm sure you will correct what you say is wrong and post another picture for us. Maybe I'll be more awake then.
Old 02-06-2020, 03:38 AM
Power Poster

I don't see anything wrong with the quilt as sewn. however, if the pattern says those pieces should go in the opposite direction, I guess you might consider it wrong. looks great as sewn!
Old 02-06-2020, 04:16 AM

Just me, but I would keep it as is and call it a "design variation" I think it's great looking as is.
Old 02-06-2020, 04:45 AM
Power Poster

if there is something wrong nobody knows it but you. Looks great from here.
Old 02-06-2020, 05:03 AM

This will be one beautiful quilt when you have it completed the way you want it! Your colors are great! You are so right about the best laid plans... They usually just don't quite cut it. But the good news is that all things are correctable with a bit of patiences, good work and love.
Old 02-06-2020, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
...don't always come out so well.

After sewing all these sections together, thinking I had everything just right, there are four areas that have to come apart and be re-done. So frustrating!
Not only do they have to be ripped, the sashing has to be taken off and turned around.
Deep breath.
I will finish this.....and then this flock is going to be pate foie gras.

Watson
I agree with several others - I don't see anything that needs to be fixed - even with your circles showing where something "wrong" should be.
Old 02-06-2020, 06:55 AM
Power Poster

I don't either but you do and that's all that matters. I love seeing your work, Watson!
Old 02-06-2020, 08:02 AM

Looks great to me. I always alter patterns so, it wouldn't bother me. If however it bothers you, rippety do da, just take it slow and enjoy the process as much as possible. Love that pattern.
Old 02-06-2020, 08:27 AM
Power Poster

If I saw this quilt hung at a show I wouldn't think anything is wrong with it at all. If you have to follow the layout to feel better about it then re do it. Sometimes it's the correcting that makes the process a challenge to oneself. I never challenge myself, it usually ends in a tie. LOL
Old 02-06-2020, 08:38 AM

We each have our own visions and standards of perfection. I agree with the others that most of those I could live with, there is one that would bother me though...

One of the ways I judge my own work is "does it match my inner vision". Rarely that is a 10 out of 10 but mostly I'm around 8-9, but sometimes apparently there is something I need to learn or understand better to give me the result of my mental image.

Sometimes when I point out and show my husband exactly what I'm dissatisfied with, he still looks at me blankly. He just doesn't see it. I'm having some problems with my choices in the Bonnie Hunter Frolic Mystery, darn those mysteries... it isn't that what I ended up with is bad at all, but without the mystery aspects I could have made it much better with exactly what I had in hand. I'm just a bit too close to it (and I know what the other choices I had are), but someone is going to love it just the way it is.

All things being equal workmanship-wise, the difference between a great and a meh quilt is just a design choice here or there. I usually make something pretty good but learn how to make it better/great as I am doing it. But then I just don't want to go back and do the same project again and so I save those thoughts for the next time I'm doing something similar. Sometimes though I wish I had the patience to work through a series of quilts, usually as close to that as I get is I'm working with one style of fabric, like when I went through my "Almost Amish" period. Now I seem to be crazy bright stuff lady!