Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best machine for piecing and embroidery >

Best machine for piecing and embroidery

Best machine for piecing and embroidery

Old 08-11-2016, 07:46 AM

Question Best machine for piecing and embroidery

I am interested in a sewing machine that will be good for accurate piecing with an embroidery unit. I am looking at the Viking Ruby and the Bernina 580. I really like the accuracy of the Bernina for piecing but am wondering which has the most user friendly embroidery unit/program since I am a beginner. I would love to hear from anyone who has experience with either or both of these machines.
Old 08-11-2016, 08:25 AM
Power Poster

I really is up to you what your preferences are. Put both machines thru what you want to have your machine do. I have a Bernina 1530 bought with the open box policy at a quilt show and she has been so good to me thru the years without a problem.
Old 08-11-2016, 08:48 AM

I agree with Maniac, you need to try both machines and check them out in person to see which one works better for you. Do you have both Viking and Bernina dealers nearby for classes and any repairs?
Old 08-11-2016, 10:44 AM

I have the Ruby and I love her, also got a Juki which I love, decide what features suit you best, try out different machines and find one you love x
Old 08-11-2016, 11:05 AM

Truly is a personal choice. I have not tried the Bernina

For what it is worth i got a HViking T50 over a year ago and love it for piecing and embroidery
I was new to embroidery and found their software user friendly I've gotten my $'s worth
Old 08-11-2016, 12:57 PM

If this is a used Ruby, you may want to ask a few questions first. I have had two friends just lately with a Ruby machine that have had the computer circuit board malfunction and they have been told that there are no available replacement parts (we are in Canada). These were expensive machines and are only 5 or 5 years old so this is not good.
Old 08-11-2016, 01:06 PM

I love my Viking Topaz - it is a sewing/embroidery machine. I also have the Janome MC6600P. At first I was using the Topaz for piecing too, but found I much prefer to leave the embroidery unit on it. It is on top of a cabinet because I don't have to sit by it like you do when you sew/piece. I have not tried a Bernina, I bought the Viking and fell in love and the price was just too good to pass up.
Old 08-11-2016, 01:25 PM

I love my Bernina 1090, which is a very old machine. A machine does not have to be expensive or new to have a nice stitch. I would, however, not recommend the Bernina 580 if you are wanting a combination sewing/embroidery machine. Some people love it. Others, like me found it complicated and confusing to use. It does have a nice embroidery stitch. I actually returned my 580 after having it less than 6 months and got a Babylock. So, be sure to try the 580 machine out by yourself without someone sitting next to you telling you how to operate the machine.
Old 08-11-2016, 05:56 PM

I would look at the brother v series. They are wonderful for quilting, sewing, and embroidery. I have had mine almost 4 years. they are easy to use right out of the box. I did embroidery before my class. my model is the one below the TOL and even though I was originally going to start out with a beginner machine I am glad I didn't. I much prefer my machine to Bernina's 5 series. The brothers tend to have more features and come with more accessories and the feet aren't as pricey. The dual feed foot on my machine is my favorite feature. They just came out with a 1/4 inch foot for it in march and I have been in piecing heaven since. I do still piece with my 1/4 foot sometimes though. I did love the stitch quality on the Viking saphire I used, so if the ruby is similar you wouldn't be disappointed. I also prefered the saphire to the 5 series machine I sewed on so if it was just between the Bernina and Viking alone I personally would go viking. Despite the machines I have used and tried Brother remains my brand. They have been rock solid for me the last 20 years so I expect to be using them for many years to come. Also Brother makes all the high end babylock machines so I wouldn't mind a babylock either since they are made in the same manufacture line as brother.

Last edited by Dolphyngyrl; 08-11-2016 at 05:58 PM.
Old 08-12-2016, 01:15 AM

I Love my Pfaff, can't say enough good things about it.