Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best Pattern? >

Best Pattern?

Best Pattern?

Old 08-23-2014, 08:33 AM
Power Poster

Debbie Maddy has the best written patterns I've used. I would follow her format but add my own special details.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:41 AM

I have liked patterns which have all the cutting instructions up front, so you can choose your fabrics and get all the cutting done up front.

Right now I am doing a Sue Garman medallion quilt which was a BOM so the instructions are all spread out over 12 lessons, but I like her instructions. She puts in little tips which help improve accuracy in piecing, and she includes all the paper-piecing pieces I need for each row. She uses diagrams and give little instructions on technique.

Some of it I could have muddled through own my own, but I always learn from the designer when following a pattern.

Good luck!
Old 08-23-2014, 10:22 AM

All of the above suggestions are great!

My additional suggestions:

* cutting and sewing directions in a bulleted list, not in paragraph form (easier to check off as I go along)

* If there is anything special, call attention to it...Such as if you need to cut a FQ in a certain way to get all the pieces, make a diagram of that. Or if the pieces need to be cut in a certain order, that would be helpful.

*A text box with helpful hints or fabric selection tips to make the pattern show best would be nice.

*type-written, not hand written directions

*If you do photos for examples, use fabric samples that contrast enough so you can really tell what you're looking at.

*Suggestions for quilting would also be a nice touch

*an email address or contact info if someone has a question about the pattern or a place to check for corrections

*I would like to see ALL new patterns basing yardage on 40" wide rather than 44/45" wide since most fabrics are closer to 40" usable once you trim of the wide selvedges.
Old 08-23-2014, 02:10 PM

I always appreciate knowing in advance how complicated the pattern is: beginner-friendly, confident beginner, advanced, average skill level. Sometimes I'm looking for something simple and quick. At other times, I like to take on something a little challenging, but I hate find out after I've opened the pattern. You can't always tell by the photo!
Old 08-23-2014, 03:55 PM

I like to see photos of at least two or three finished quilts with different types of fabrics and levels of contrast. I like to see the measurements of any sub-units before they go into the blocks. I like pressing directions. I like suggestions about how the fabrics will fit together, e.g. "This unit is your focus fabric," or "Fabric A should have a lot of contrast with Fabric B." Good luck with your pattern writing. I hope all the suggestions here are helpful.

Darren
Old 08-23-2014, 04:46 PM

I agree with all the suggestions, but would be nice if a pattern would give some suggestions for quilting instead of quilt as desired I can get through the whole pattern have it layered then get stuck as to what type of quilting to put on it a few ideas would be nice.
Old 08-23-2014, 06:02 PM
Power Poster

I love step by step instructions with a picture ( Photo or drawn) of each unit and the size it should be before finishing.

Lots of patterns have finished sizes for units and blocks which makes no sense to me because you have to have the unit sizes right first.

Some patterns are made in a certain style to look hand done and homey but sometimes they can be very confusing and hard to follow. I do like this style, like it is grandmas own handwritten copy of a pattern, but they should be well thought out.

A chart for fabric amounts

A chart for cutting

I also like patterns that tell a story or have insights and jokes. I am not into serious perfection.

Hints on making or giving your pattern a personal touch. This gets people thinking and being creative with just a little information to get them started.

I do hope you give pattern writing a try and I would certainly volunteer to try it out!
peace
Old 08-23-2014, 06:23 PM
Power Poster

I think pattern testing is important.

What may seem obvious to the writer may be a big HUH? to the person trying to follow the directions.

I hate "refer to - " - especially when refer to is several pages away from where I am right now.
Old 08-23-2014, 06:33 PM

My complaint has always been that most patterns are throw or twin size and i like to make larger size quilts, and the directions and fabric requirements are seldom shown, would be nice to have the variety choices. good luck if you pursue your venture.
Old 08-24-2014, 03:22 AM

Thanks everybody for their feedback! You definitely gave me some good pointers!

It might take quite a few months before I finish the pattern. I've just acquired a new programme to draw it out, so it'll take some time to master that as well. Though I might get back to you about the pattern testing...