Best Pattern?

Old 08-24-2014, 10:01 AM
Power Poster

trying to absorb all the different replies, so I may repeat someone:
I like the list of yardage amounts to indicate which place on the actual
quilt picture that fabric is.
Too many time I see a pattern with a beautiful picture, go to the
Fabric Requirements list and puzzle over, is mauve "this" piece in this block,
or is it this border fabric in the picture?
If you think what I just said is confusing, I have proven my point.
A little square with the color of the fabric on the quilt is awesome!
I am very visual, I like to follow steps in order and not jump around
(or back), as I get easily confused that way.
I like pictures showing all the pieces in the rows they should be done in, and nesting the seam, YES, - this takes the guesswork and frustration out of putting it together.
You go right to pressing and know your getting it right.
Tell me if it's a beginner, intermediate or advanced pattern, and
quilting diagrams are always welcome, but not a must.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
I hate instructions that say refer back to this step or that step. Too confusing. Or we'll get to that in a minute. If it's in an introductory to the instructions of the pattern, that's one thing. I did go to a class once and the instructor was constantly interrupted. People were trying to get her to jump ahead to this and that and finally, she said; We are taking this one step at a time because there are beginners in the class. After each step, she went over briefly and asked if there were any questions. She also brought the previous steps together as she went along. It was the best class. She had the instructions for the pattern on paper. She was local and good. That would be something you might think about when putting the pattern on paper.
Hurray for that instructor! As a beginner (and I count myself as that even though I've completed small projects, I've never completed a large quilt, although I'm now working my first queen-size) when those who are more experienced want to jump ahead, it just gets too confusing. I too agree that a pattern should list step-by-step instructions instead of referring back to previous steps.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:45 AM
Power Poster

I like to have fabric requirements on a pattern, a list of any special items/rulers/etc. if they are needed, cutting requirements. I like seeing diagrams of the project, with clear instructions for each part of the quilted item. I often see "quilt as desired", when some ideas for quilting are given, especially for newer quilters. Sisty88 has some good ideas for you. If you have a quilting friend, give them your instructions and get their feedback, can't hurt. Good luck.
Old 08-24-2014, 06:19 PM

I completely agree with everything Sisty88 said especially the pictures step by step and cutting layout pictures.
Old 08-24-2014, 06:30 PM

Wishing you the very best of luck with your idea, please give us a follow up or at least a picture of the completed quilt. I think you'll do great if you incorporate everything everyone has suggested here.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:56 PM

These are all great suggestions! I also like fabric requirements and suggested tone such as light, dark etc. because often I am trying to pull from my stash. But my biggest pet peeve is to not have the steps numbered or the pages numbered. Please do not charge me an arm and a leg for your pattern that I have to download and print off using my own paper and ink. You are saving printing costs. Please pass that savings on to me!
Old 08-25-2014, 01:22 AM

Just had another thought regarding pictures! If the plan would be to sell the pattern as a pdf, make sure the pictures would work well if printed off in black and white, rather than colour, as that could easily confuse matters!
Old 08-25-2014, 04:21 AM

Accurate fabric requirements. I recently purchased a pattern for a king sized quilt, which required 13 yards of yardage,plus 36 fat quarters. Really? 21 yards of fabric? I'm covering the bed, not wallpapering the walls! Upon cutting for the project, I found I had half of most of the fat quarters left , 2 yards of background and nearly half of the border fabric (4 yards) left. I won't be purchasing patterns from this company again!
Old 08-25-2014, 05:57 AM

I make up patterns for a quilting class I hold at our local Adult Education class. There are a lot of first time quilters and they appreciate when I include the order for cutting so they don't end up being short for the bigger pieces.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:18 AM

maryellen2u,,,AMEN to that...

Please do not charge me an arm and a leg for your pattern that I have to download and print off using my own paper and ink. You are saving printing costs. Please pass that savings on to me!