Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Press

I love it!! I can't imagine not having it!!! Three of us buy it by the gallon and split it!!! It is SO worth buying!!

Blog Entries
    I use lots of spray starch and would buy it exclusively if I could afford it. Love, Love, Love it. The smell is so outdoor fresh and certainly helps my gloomy days inside be happy outdoors days when I am quilting or ironing. For me, ironing is a treat, like a good book is to others. Relaxing and the aroma of fresh laundry brings back the smell of fresh sheets on the line from my childhood.
    Sally Dolin
    Rock Island, IL

I use it too. I really like it and think its worth the money. When I'm spraying I do remember the price though.

After trying one bottle, I found it was not worth the price! I thought spraying with water would have done the same thing! Regular spray starch or starch alternative does a better job. Also found that it evaporates if left sitting in the spray bottle. Amazing that a little lavender scent can brainwash quilters into paying $8.00 a bottle for water.

I buy it by the gallon and only use it! It is wonderful.
    Linda

Just bought my first bottle but haven't used it as yet! Had to give in after reading and hearing so much about it. If you search through this board, you'll see recipes other quilters have shared for making your own version much less expensively.
    Pat
    Pat

Blog Entries
    I love it and use it all the time

Blog Entries
    I use it for all of my piecing...love, love, love it! When I get down to an inch, I got get another bottle, don't want to be without it!
    Jeananne

Check hair supply stores.

Last reply may not make sense. I was replying to the quilter who asked where to buy a fine mist spray bottle. Beauty supply store.

Blog Entries
    I love it and use it all the time. I especially like the scent. I buy the gallon jug when it's on sale.

I haven't read the rest of the posts on this but I do know there are homemade alternatives to Best Press. I haven't tried any of them but you might want to search it on the board and give one of them a whirl.
    Pat

Blog Entries
    I bought this also but it is gummng up the bottom of my iron. Do you use steam with it ?

Quote Originally Posted by An Arm Long View Post
    I use Magic Sizing from Walmart. Have had no problems and it does not stick to my iron.
    A good friend is like a warm quilt wrapped
    around the heart

Karen

Quote Originally Posted by jeanneb52 View Post
    not worth the price. any good fabric finish will do the same thing. Much too pricey
    I agree...I just make my own with liquid starch I get at the store. It is concentrated so I dilute it to my own needs. I do not need my starch to smell like lilacs or spring time air...
    two simple rules for success
    1. Show up.
    2. Pay attention.
    One simple rule for happiness
    1. Kindness counts.

I use it al the time and just love it! It is worth the price.

I love, love, love BP but the price is high, never find it on sale. I mixed mine w/ water & ended up with black looking beads in bottom of bottle. Learned -- always used distilled water! You can also get it unscented.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    Has anyone found a perfect mist spray bottle? Everyone I have tried I always get big drops with the mist.
    I bought a small one at Joann's in one of the dollar bins - wish I had bought several more - it is awesome - never drips and I get a very fine mist.

Quote Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
    It is the only "starch" that I use, but I dilute mine with water by 50%. I also buy mine by the gallon as A) it's cheaper and B) I know I'll use the whole gallon eventually.
    After reading all the rave reviews on an earlier thread about Best Press and that you can dilute it, I tried it and I join the chorus, I really, really like it. I see no difference in final pressing results with this product once it is diluted 50/50 with water.
    Smiles from Idaho,
    Onalee

"What if you woke up today with only the things you had thanked God for yesterday?" ~ Michael Hyatt

LOVE best press! the flavors are enchanting!! worth the money, sometimes i add a little water to make it go further.
    katz
    Last edited by katz_n_kwiltz; 04-05-2012 at 10:46 AM.

Blog Entries
    I agree it is wonderful. I have tried many brands but alway come back to this. A little pricey but definitely worth it.
    Quilting in the Desert

Thanks for the tip to buy on Amazon. Never thought of that!

I bought the first I have ever used yesterday. I wish the shop had carried the unscented version because the scent is way too strong.

I am going to be the dissenter here because I honestly cannot tell it makes any difference other than the odor.

I will stick with starch before cutting and my spray bottle of water when pressing seams. JMHO

I'm a fairly 'new', self taught quilter and would like for someone to tell me about using starch while quilting. When, how and why do you use it?
    Thanks!

GJ, I use it when I press the fabric before cutting. It makes it stiffer and easier to maintain a straight line when cutting and sewing.

Sometimes I will use it again when I finish a top before I put it on the machine. Just depends on how much the fabric has been handled.

Really helps minimize the chance of sewing in wrinkles.

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by MaryLane View Post
    GJ, I use it when I press the fabric before cutting. It makes it stiffer and easier to maintain a straight line when cutting and sewing.

Sometimes I will use it again when I finish a top before I put it on the machine. Just depends on how much the fabric has been handled.

Really helps minimize the chance of sewing in wrinkles.
    I like Best Press when I'm working with bias. But it does get expensive. Someone in our guild makes her own using a jigger of vodka to a quart of water (+ a drop or lavendar water for scent).

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast