Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Best Press

I found a "recipe" for Best Press on Pinterest using vodka, lavender essential oil, liquid starch, and water. IMO it works great and not nearly the price of Best Press.
    Never confuse the will of the majority with the Will of God.

Blog Entries
    okay best press is great, but you can make your own. search for the recipe on the board. i think it was 1 cup on vodka and a quart of distilled water.

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinePaj View Post
    Hi Guys,

Can you give me your opinions on Best Press.... I have seen it over here (UK) but it is rather expensive £8.00 per bottle....... So before Imsplash out I would love to hear what you all think of it.

Hugs

Caroline
    I just goggled Mary Ellen's Best Press & I was given a web site that gave a recipe for "just like Mary Ellen's Best Press"
    They gave some reviews & they were favorable. It takes about $15.00 worth of product & gives you 2 gallons of "Best Press"
    This is the recipe:
    1 tsp Essential Oil (for aroma only) & can be omitted
    3 oz. Vodka (vodka comes from potatoes & they are a natural starch)
    24 oz. Distilled Water
    1 drop of Food Coloring (optional)

Put in a spray bottle & there you go. I am definitely going to try it & if you get bored you can always have a sip (leave out the essential oil though)

Anybody else wanna give it a try ...........................
    Dance like no one is watching

I love it! Now I use it for any ironing I need to do. I try to buy it with coupons at Hancock's but will check Amazon, hadn't thought of that. I've tried other sprays from the grocery store but most have a bad smell to me. I used to use Magic Sizing on my clothes but once I used the BP, I don't buy it anymore.

I won a small bottle at a guilt show and really like it. my only problem is it makes me cough every time i try to use it so if you have any asthma or lung issues please be careful until you know how it affects you.

I, too, buy it by the gallon and love it. It doesn't stick on my iron.

Blog Entries
    I love this product also, better than starch.
    Mary

I love it, but you can also stretch it out by diluting in 1/2 with water. One of my LA teachers said she uses it 1/2 str to get out the wrinkles on backings she put on the quilting frame before quilting.

I use it and love it. It works as well as starch and it doesn't leave white flakes on dark fabrics.

Add me to the Love It group. I bought a medium size bottle as a refill, but going for the gallon from Amazon next time. I normally pick up the unscented version.
    - Rose

Blog Entries
    I used it once and loved it. But at $9 for two cups I bought regular starch and dilute it. A half gallon cost $3 at Wal-Mart and I can mix to get the stiffness I like. I usually mix medium to heavy. The trick is that tou must wait for it to soak in the fabric and you don't get flaking or discolorization. So for $3 I get at least 2 gallons. And I must admit with this I don't have and problems with bias seams. One thing I do miss from Best Press is the nice smell.
    The Quilting Bear

i buy Best Press at handcocks with the 40% coupon, they only have the small spray bottle size and the refill size, i bought the spray bottle size so i would have a spray bottle to use with the refill size bottle , our joanns doesnt carry BP and handcocks doesnt carry the gallon size, i use this to press mine and hubbys shirts and my fabric after the fabric has been washed and dryed for the first time after buying it , then i wrap the fabric on my comic boards and put them on my shelf, but when i used the fabric in a quilt before i cut i use heavy spray starch ,it makes the fabric just a bit stiffer and thats they way i like it before cutting my pieces

I use best press and I love it, Plus it smells great

I have checked the local stores near Nashville. What store did you find it?

You can also make your own! Do a google search for a recipe . . . it contains distilled water, vodka and essential oil in whatever scent you prefer. I have made it and love it too!

This is the recipe "like" Best Press starch.

Mix together:
    1 tsp scented essential oil (found in Walmart candle supplies aisle and they have lots of scents) Note: scent is optional if allergic to scents.
    3 oz. vodka (YES vodka) LOL
    Then add to 24oz distilled water in large spray bottle and shake well.
    (Hint: Vodka is made from potatoes , a natural starch.)
    Add one drop of food color per gallon (optional)
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

And another!!

If you like a fragranced wrinkle releaser, you may also like this alternative.

• 2 cups distilled water
    • 2 oz cheap vodka
    • 12 drops of 100% pure essential oil *
    • 1/3 cup liquid starch (after testing I increased this to ½ cup as my preference)

Put into a spray bottle and shake to mix before each use.
    If you like it, make a gallon as follows:

• Take a gallon of distilled water and remove 4 cups ( to use for another purpose)**
    • Add 1 ½ cups vodka
    • 72 drops of essential oil (or amount as is your preference)
    • 2 to 2 ½ cups of liquid starch

* Be sure you buy the correct scent oil. It is sold by the candle and soap making supplies at Michael’s and is called “scent”. You do NOT want the type of oil that you use in the ceramic rings that go around light bulbs or the plug in room fresheners.
    ** Mark gallon bottle carefully so you don’t put it into your steam iron!!!

Last one, they are pretty much the same with a few tweaks!!

In a clean large jug, mix:

4 Cups of water
    2 Cups of liquid
    starch
    4 ounces of Vodka
    10 drops of essential oil fragrance

Many
    quilters have questioned me about the Vodka. As an alcohol, it acts as a natural
    preservative, but in addition to that, it will chemically mix with BOTH the
    water and the oil of the scent to emulsify them together. I keep my jug right on
    the cellar stairs and it keeps for a year that I know of, I hafta make more
    after that because I use it up. I fill my little spray bottle often and always
    shake it before using because the starch settles.
    I bought the liquid starch
    at my grocery store and it cost $3 in March of 2010 and I still have almost half
    a jug.

Just FYI, vodka made in the USA is not made of potatoes but of grains. There are European producers that use potatoes as the base before fermentation but those are higher end vodkas and not what you would use for this application.

I suspect the reason vodka is used is because it is carbon filtered and thus completely clear and will not discolor.

I vote for the vodka and water. It works just as good as Best Press. Especially when you can buy a bottle of vodka at Walmart for 11:00. It will last a long time. In Canada we have to pay a lot more for the Vodka.

You should of seen my husbands face when he came in the trailer and saw that I was pouring Vodka into a spray bottle. I hardly drink so he thought I had lost my mind. lol

I've used it but just used Magic Sizing for the first time yesterday. I liked it a lot.

Thank you so much for sharing - never heard of this one before!
    Love 4 stchen

I love the results but for some reason it chokes me (maybe it was just the scent I had) and I don't have any respiratory issue. I can use spray starch with no problem. A quilt friend has asthma and can use only the unscented.

Suzy

Quote Originally Posted by carolaug View Post
    I have never heard of Bounce spray.....going to see if I can find at the store...Thanks!!!
    I finally found Bounce spray! Walmart in our area finally has it! I love the smell of Best Press so
    much better than Bounce spray! However the price of Bounce is much less expensive. I will probably stick to Best Press.

Blog Entries
    I like it better than anything I have tried. I buy it in the largest bottle I can find (no sprayer) and put it in a spare spray bottle. I have tried the vodka & water, it didn't add enough body for me. Tried cornstarch and water, it worked okay, but read that the cornstarch can draw silverfish and miller's moth. So I bit the bullet and use Best Press, my quilting projects are worth the expense. l
    If life gives you lemons, make a margarita.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast