Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
best quilting machine >

best quilting machine

best quilting machine

Old 09-16-2010, 07:30 PM

I need some help looking for a sewing machine. I am presently just borrowing a brother machine LS2125i. I would like to purchase my own machine and want something a bit heavier. I was hoping for some input on the Janome, Singer or Brother. I am hoping to stay in the 150.00 price range. I have looked online at different machines and am getting very confused. I see some good deals on the refurbished machines they have on overstocked so may be able to get a higher end machine for what I want to spend. Am hoping for some input as to which machine is the best "bang for the buck"............will be looking forward to your reviews..thanks
Old 09-16-2010, 07:34 PM

I would definitely stay away from any new(modern) Singer in that price rate, I don't know about the higher end Singers though. I had so much trouble with my last Singer (80's) I took it back and got my money back and it was not a cheap machine then. I do have 2 old Singers though.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by pocoellie
I would definitely stay away from any new(modern) Singer in that price rate, I don't know about the higher end Singers though. I had so much trouble with my last Singer (80's) I took it back and got my money back and it was not a cheap machine then. I do have 2 old Singers though.
I don't know about that. I have a Singer (Futura CE250)and I am very happy with it however it was not at that price range. The first sewing machine I owned after moving out of my mother's house and away from her Viking was a Singer school model (mid 90's). I loved that machine it was a basic machine, but did have some decorative stitches, could do button holes, zippers etc. My mom bought it for me at the time I think it was about $200 - 300. When I mom died I kept her Viking and gave my sister my Singer but I missed it. I think with every brand/model you can get a lemon and someone else will get the same thing and get a jewel.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:34 PM
Power Poster

I would check the Brothers and the Janomes in that price range.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by kristen0112
Originally Posted by pocoellie
I don't know about that. I have a Singer (Futura CE250)and I am very happy with it however it was not at that price range. The first sewing machine I owned after moving out of my mother's house and away from her Viking was a Singer school model (mid 90's). I loved that machine it was a basic machine, but did have some decorative stitches, could do button holes, zippers etc. My mom bought it for me at the time I think it was about $200 - 300. When I mom died I kept her Viking and gave my sister my Singer but I missed it. I think with every brand/model you can get a lemon and someone else will get the same thing and get a jewel.
I agree with you. I have a Singer CE250 and a Singer Quantum L-500 that I currently use. After I ordered my L-500 I read quite a few bad reviews and worried that I had messed up but so far I love it. It seems people with bad reviews seem to shout the loudest :D. I also have had a Singer Stylist, Singer Quilting machine and various other models of Singers and haven't had a problem with any of them--loved them to death! I also have a couple of Brothers and a Tailor sewing machine and I love them also. So far I've been lucky enough not to have gotten a lemon machine. I say get whatever machine gives you the most bang for your buck!
Old 09-16-2010, 09:49 PM
Power Poster

Are there any features that you MUST have? As a quilter, I would look for needle up/down (and preferrably sideways as well), good lighting, feed dogs drop,.....

Compare the list to the machine features and see if one stands out. I had bought a Brother that had a really good Consumer Report rating and when I upgraded, I gave it to a friend. She uses it and loves it.

Can you go to a local dealer and see what they have in the line of used machines?
Old 09-17-2010, 06:25 PM

thanks everyone for your input....
Old 09-17-2010, 06:28 PM

I have a little Brother CS4000 that my DH got me for a spare. He got it at a great price, refurbished, with full warranty on Overstocked for a great price and shipping is very cheap. I would consider this as an option, but checking out used machines at various dealers in your areas is a great idea also. Good luck. Let us know what you decide.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:52 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

I wish I could help you as I have a Pfaff 7570 Creative and it wasn't cheap. I was using my MIL pfaff and fell in love with it and I felt that no other machine will do for me.. I love it.. My back up is a baby lock Grace.. I got it so my five yr old can sew by my side as it has great features for a lil one.. Plus I can 'borrow' it when I have a class..
Old 09-17-2010, 07:15 PM
Power Poster

My first was a bottom end Brother and that baby sewed like a dream. My son has had Janomes and they are great too.