Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best quilting solid >

Best quilting solid

Best quilting solid

Old 07-11-2016, 04:59 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by asabrinao View Post
Oh, I'm not a regular user of the Kona cottons, but I've found the Kona cottons from Jo-Ann's to be of a lesser quality than those from other places. Others who use Kona more regularly might disagree but if you do go with Kona, I'd buy from a LQS rather than Jo-Ann's.
Unless things have changed since this post - - - about Kona fabrics - - -

http://www.quiltingboard.com/search....rchid=11801722
Old 07-11-2016, 05:22 PM

The Michael Miller cotton couture solids are wonderful. I always check that line first to see if they have the color I want. It has a higher thread count and is very silky and lustrous.

http://www.hawthornethreads.com/fabr...cotton_couture
Old 07-11-2016, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
The Michael Miller cotton couture solids are wonderful. I always check that line first to see if they have the color I want. It has a higher thread count and is very silky and lustrous.

http://www.hawthornethreads.com/fabr...cotton_couture
there was a big discussion on here about this about 1 year ago. As a result of this, I bought several different brands of fabric in several different colors (all neutrals). I have to agree that Michael Miller has the nicest feel. I also like the Free Spirit and Art Gallery solids.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by asabrinao View Post
My favorite line is Maywood Studios' "Shadowplay." Their marbled solids; I realize "marbling" is not truly a solid, but if you're working with a pattern that works with subtle marbling, then you might consider Maywood Studios "Shadowplay" fabrics.
I agree. I made one quilt with plain solids and another with marbled solids. Don't know if it was all Maywood Studios, don't really care, I just know they were fabrics with some texture. The solid quilt looks soooooo flat and uninteresting! I much prefer the color variations and textures of the marbled prints. Makes for a much prettier quilt.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:59 PM

i really like the konas and bellas best. I have both their cards so I can mail order exactly the color I want. Its hard to tell color on the computer, and few LQS carry all 303 kona colors.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:41 PM

I buy the colour I want not the make. Usually find they are kona.
Old 07-12-2016, 03:13 AM
Power Poster

You are going to get different opinions on brand name just like guys have their favorite car line. I have always used RK Kona Cotton. I don't buy from anywhere where the label on the bolt is not from the manufacturer. Those fabric are 2nd quality fabrics.
Old 07-12-2016, 06:26 AM

I personally Kona best because it does not fray like Bella does
Old 07-13-2016, 08:51 AM

This conversation has been on this blog many times, but, maybe it needs to be on one more time. Fabric names (Kona, Bella, RJR, etc) do not make 'different' versions of their fabric. This would compromise their integrity. We have had representatives from RJR discuss this on this blog. If they make other types, they are named different. So, if you buy a basic Kona grey at ANY, ANY store, it will be the same fabric. If the label has a different name or fabric content, then yes, it is different. But same name, same content = same fabric (but often wildly different pricing).
Old 07-13-2016, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
I love Northcott solids. They have extra threads in one direction and it is super soft. Hard to find. But I purchase it whenever I can find it.
I love Northcott too. They ARE hard to find. Sometimes I will have better luck finding them at fabricdepot.com, which carries the Northcott Brand. Their Stonehenge line is very pretty too.