Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best Transfer Paper??? >

Best Transfer Paper???

Best Transfer Paper???

Old 11-15-2011, 05:12 AM

Default Best Transfer Paper???

I am beginning a wool applique quilt which will be on a darker background fabric. Does anyone have a good recommendation for tracing the pattern on the front of the background fabric. My light box will probably not work. I'd like something like a tracing or transfer paper that would brush off and not stay permanently. Does anyone have a good recommendation?
Thanks for you feedback.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:36 PM

Saral works on fabric, but have never tried it on wool
Old 11-16-2011, 05:59 AM

I draw the pattern on tissue paper. I then place it on the fabric place the first piece underneath it take it off applique it then place the tissue paper on and so on. This way I can applique where ever I am and do not have to worry about the patterrn disappearing on the fabric or lines showing that will not come off of the fabric.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:34 PM

www.goldenthreads.com their paper is kinda pricey, but its amazing, its tissue paper that comes on a roll, best and only I've used!
katz
Old 01-09-2012, 03:42 AM

It is so funny you should ask this question as I just posted the same question the other day in regard to cotton. Anyway, I went to the local Joann's and found Dritz wax-free tracing paper ($4.29). I used it on black cotton fabric and it worked ok. But when I was starting to embroider it just wiped off. So I then went over it in a white fine marker.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by nabobw View Post
I draw the pattern on tissue paper. I then place it on the fabric place the first piece underneath it take it off applique it then place the tissue paper on and so on. This way I can applique where ever I am and do not have to worry about the patterrn disappearing on the fabric or lines showing that will not come off of the fabric.
This is the method I was taught by a master wool embroiderer. It takes only a little getting used to. I have thought of other methods and watched many others being demonstrated, but the tissue paper works best for me. I have made over a dozen wool embroidered stuffed animals, plus pin cushions and other heirloom sewing accessories.

Last edited by Wunder-Mar; 01-10-2012 at 10:59 AM. Reason: typos