Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best way to buy batting >

Best way to buy batting

Best way to buy batting

Old 02-06-2015, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by pocoellie View Post
I buy my batting by the roll, on the pieces that are cut off, I set aside and use, either in rag quilts, runners, or I sew large sections together until I get a size I can use in a quilt.
Me too, and like Snooze2978, hang it on a closet rod dowel that my husband positioned in the closet for easy roll out. I buy Quilters Dream Cotton and a 90"/30 yd. roll weighs about 22 lbs. Also sew my scraps together (or use the tape) to piece scraps together.
Old 02-07-2015, 05:24 AM

I got hooked on Dream Green poly batting (made from plastic bottles) and when my LQS persisted in always being out of it, I started ordering it online by the roll. I love it. I don't have to worry about letting the fold lines relax, there is very little waste, and it's always there when I need it. If I happen to need a different kind of batting for a project, I just pick up a package in the size I need - usually a craft size.
Old 02-07-2015, 05:43 AM

I also buy the big roll from JoAnn's. A friend pointed out the savings and I ran the numbers. I make lap size quilts. When they go on sale for 50% and free shipping, I purchase. (When I'm low). It amounts to less than $7.00 a quilt for a 48x72 size. Since I don't plan on stopping anytime soon, that's savings. The hardest part was deciding what to purchase. I tried several battings before I decided which one I wanted in quantity.
Old 02-07-2015, 05:53 AM

I always buy a bolt now-I have used at least 12 bolts in the last 8 years.
Old 02-07-2015, 06:35 AM

To piece batting by hand, butt the two pieces next to each other, loosely whipstitch the pieces together.

To piece batting by machine, butt the two pieces next to each other, Stitch together using a wide zig zag stitch, the one with multiple stitches per zig and zag. To fit it onto your DSM, roll up the piece that has to go under the harp of your sewing machine.
Old 02-07-2015, 07:28 AM

I've been really tempted to buy the skinnier roll of 80/20 batting offered by nancy's notions. I think it would be great for runners and other smaller projects. I know it probably works out to being more expensive but it does seem as if it might be easier to use. Has anyone tried it?
Old 02-07-2015, 07:31 AM

I purchase online from a place on ebay. Free shipping and it's 96" wide by 36 yard rolls for 110.00 (when they have a sale, usually 125.00 I think). This for the 4 oz, the same price for thicker, but less yards on the roll. I have the 6 and 8 oz...100% polyester. My customers like the loft of the 4 oz.

I buy the 4oz in the 2 bolt packs, a bit cheaper still.

I also had a bolt of warm and white...took 4 years to use it up...customers wanted more loft. Finally found one customer wanting it...used it in her quilts at cost, and now that it's gone & we used the 4oz on one of her quilts...she's a convert.
Old 02-07-2015, 03:32 PM

I've boought it both ways. When I have left over that I have cut from king or queen size I usually use it in baby quilts. Sometimes if the piece is long enough I can use it for extra length for a king size when using the roll.
Old 02-07-2015, 03:51 PM

By the yard results in the least waste if you don't have space for a bolt. I use leftovers from packaged batting to make wallhangings or quilt as you go projects. I recently did a large lap quilt for someone completely from leftovers. I sew them together either by hand or machine and the quilting reinforces the assemblage.