Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: best way to cut 240 ft of batting - 1 1/8" wide please help!

best way to cut 240 ft of batting - 1 1/8" wide please help!

Hello,

I am looking for suggestions on the best way to cut roughly 250+ ft of batting at a time. The batting is 1/4" loft and the strips are 1 1/8" wide. I have been cutting roughly 4 ft long strips but the length is not really critical. Is there a batting manufacturer that could do something like this?

I have been using a rotary cutter, but this takes quite a while to do...

FWIW, I am not a quilter, but I was advised by others to check out this group since if there is any place that would have an answer to my dilemma, it would be here.

thank you in advance,
    DW

what are you making with the 1 1/8". width, maybe there is an alternative?

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    wow--i really don't have any other suggestions than what you are doing. But have to ask--what are you doing with 250+ft of 1 1/8" wide bat? Because if you are using the bat as a stablizer or like a piping in something, there may be a better product out there. Also, have you contacted a bat manufacturer so see what the expense would be to have something like this made up? It's possible that Hobbs, Warm & Natural, Winline, etc make a similar product for a different application--certainly worth checking.

I prefer to mark the batting with Clover Chaco Liner (blue) then cut
    with scissors. Cutting all those strips won't be easy for sure. Get
    someone to help you or take lots of breaks to avoid permanent
    wrist injuries.

Power Poster
    The only thing I can think of is the old paper cutting guillotines we used to use in school. It would only be able to cut about a 18 inch length I think into 1-1/8 inch strips.

Blog Entries
    With such a low loft, I think you could use electric scissors. Check Amazon. I would probably try using them along with a long (4 foot or so) metal rule from a big box store. If you have a large flat surface, I think you could use the metal rule as a guide for the electric scissors.

Blog Entries
    Do you have a serger? Or could you borrow one? Remove the needle and thread, but leave the cutting blade in place. Depending on how accurate the strips need to be, you might not even need to mark the batting. You might be able to place a piece of carpenter's tape on the bed of the serger and mark a line on the tape 1-1/8" to the right of the cutting blade. I don't have my serger out, or I would take a closer look. Come to think of it, the tape might need to go on the face of the serger. I think I have actually done that in the past when I had to trim yards of draperies to fit some windows.

Upon thinking a little more about the electric scissors, I think the easiest way to use one would be to fasten it somehow to the edge of a table so that the cutting blades are 1-1/8" from the table edge. By keeping the scissors stationary, you could feed the batting to the scissors using the table's edge as your guide.

Neither an electric scissors nor a serger will be quite as accurate as rotary cutting, but both would be a lot faster and both would save your hands from a lot of stress.

thanks everyone. There really is no alternative to the batting.

After looking at a youtube video of a serger. I have never seen one of these before, or electric scissors. I will have to investigate these more.

I attempted to clamp the batting between two pieces of plywood and cut it with a bandsaw but the edges of the cut produced too much fuzz.

I envision a method where I could somehow tightly wrap a long length of batting around a cardboard tube, like from a wrapping paper roll, and then tightly wrapping this with construction paper and then cutting it on a bandsaw, so that when each cut section was unwrapped it would be very long. Not sure if I will ever figure out how to make this work. either way thanks for the suggestions.

DW

I think you are on the right track clamping the batting then using a rotary cutter to cut. A tight clamp using the large metal ruler from Lowe's or Home Depot, then the largest rotary cutter I could find to cut the batt.

DW, talk with a rep from the band saw company. There may be a saw blade that would work better. You know they use band saws for all kinds of cutting. There could be a blade that would do what you need, which is to cut, not shred.

bkay

I would set 2 posts 2 feet apart, or dining room chairs so that you can wrap around and around to get loops that are 4 feet total. Then you can grab in one spot and cut through to get the 4 foot lengths. Think about making a really, really big tassel!

A lot depends on how accurate you need these strips to be. Since you stated 1 1/8", rather than just 1", I'm guessing that accuracy is important. You won't get an accurate cut with scissors or rotary cutter cutting through a large number of layers. Even the largest rotary cutter isn't designed for that. And unless your batting is very dense, it will not keep its shape very well. If accuracy is important then I would just continue with cutting roughly 4' lengths, and slice them up with a rotary cutter and ruler, cutting no more than one or two thicknesses at a time. 240' divided by 4' per slice is only 60 slices - will be done before you know it, if this is all you need. If you mean that you need to do this multiple times, then I feel for you.

Blog Entries
    I am dying of curiosity!! What are you making???

Is it in a roll? I'd try marking the 1 1/8" and cutting it with an electric carving knife. Then you'd have strips the length of the goods. I've used one for cutting foam rubber, and styrofoam. Good luck, and believe me when I say, we are all dying to know what you are doing! When curiosity kills the cat, one of us will be right there next to it, lol.

Check with an apholostery shop or someone that does upholstery.

You did not answer the question on the use of these strips for potential alternatives from this group.
    My suggestion is get a commercial electric fabric cutter. They are designed to cut layers of fabric, unlike ban saws and electric knives. Check your yellow pages for batting manufacturers in your area and ask them to cut it for you.

Blog Entries
    You might try a June Taylor shape cut ruler or a Stripology ruler, although I don't know if they have 1/8" markings. I too am curious as to what you are making!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
    Do you have a serger? Or could you borrow one? Remove the needle and thread, but leave the cutting blade in place. Depending on how accurate the strips need to be, you might not even need to mark the batting. You might be able to place a piece of carpenter's tape on the bed of the serger and mark a line on the tape 1-1/8" to the right of the cutting blade. I don't have my serger out, or I would take a closer look. Come to think of it, the tape might need to go on the face of the serger. I think I have actually done that in the past when I had to trim yards of draperies to fit some windows.

Upon thinking a little more about the electric scissors, I think the easiest way to use one would be to fasten it somehow to the edge of a table so that the cutting blades are 1-1/8" from the table edge. By keeping the scissors stationary, you could feed the batting to the scissors using the table's edge as your guide.

Neither an electric scissors nor a serger will be quite as accurate as rotary cutting, but both would be a lot faster and both would save your hands from a lot of stress.
    Great idea using the serger!

I would take it to my local lumber yard and see if they would cut it for you.

Blog Entries
    Try calling a foam factory or upholstery place and ask if they would be able to cut it for you or give any suggestions on cutting. The more people you ask the more help you will receive. Good luck and keep us posted. You really have our curious minds working over time as to what you need this for. Good Luck

I have a great idea how to cut it but I'm not saying until you tell us what you are making with the strips of batting.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    I have a great idea how to cut it but I'm not saying until you tell us what you are making with the strips of batting.
    LOL Onebyone. I want to know, too!
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Good One ... hold your idea for ransom!
    Though I have a feeling that all of our curiosities are not going to be fulfilled.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

lol.... I've been following thread and this had me giggling. I don't think we'll get an answer so I think we should just guess.

My guess: 1 1/8" strips to be used for: she's building a suspension bridge.
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

Quote Originally Posted by Teen View Post
    lol.... I've been following thread and this had me giggling. I don't think we'll get an answer so I think we should just guess.

My guess: 1 1/8" strips to be used for: she's building a suspension bridge.
    I think she (or he) is going to t.p. a quilter's house.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast