Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Best way to sell my fabric?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby's Girl
    Something to consider: Critics of the USPS don't consider the differences in the services the USPS provides compared to FedEx and UPS. USPS picks up and delivers cards and letters for less than 50 cents each. Junk mail, delivered for even less, is a service to American businesses and in various ways generates jobs for American workers. Cards, letters, and junk mail are dropped into a box on the East Coast and delivered within days to a destination on the West Coast for less than 50 cents! A soda pop, a candy bar, a pack of gum, or a bag of chips costs at least two or three times as much. (Cost of cigarettes? Cost of a can of beer? I don't know, but more than 50 cents.) USPS provides pick-up and delivery service to the front doors (or close to) of all residents of the USA, no matter where they live, no matter what the weather. FedEx and UPS deliver only the "cream" off the top--packages, which are easier to sort and handle and more profitable than any other type of mail.
    You are right about almost everything. USPS does not deliver or pick up at the front door of small communities. We have about 2000 people in our town and we must go to the P.O. to pick up our mail or to mail anything. Since most towns in Montana are comparable to mine, only about 1/2 the population of MT has home delivery. But I would agree with everything else you said.

I live in rural Missouri and have Parkinson's Disease. I have to order almost everything I buy. My mail carrier leaves my mail in a chair on the front porch if I have a package or if the weather is terrible. She's a special lady. If you're in bad health, you can apply to the USPS for to-the-door delivery.

, or
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlys
    Something to consider: Critics of the USPS don't consider the differences in the services the USPS provides compared to FedEx and UPS. USPS picks up and delivers cards and letters for less than 50 cents each. Junk mail, delivered for even less, is a service to American businesses and in various ways generates jobs for American workers. Cards, letters, and junk mail are dropped into a box on the East Coast and delivered within days to a destination on the West Coast for less than 50 cents! A soda pop, a candy bar, a pack of gum, or a bag of chips costs at least two or three times as much. (Cost of cigarettes? Cost of a can of beer? I don't know, but more than 50 cents.) USPS provides pick-up and delivery service to the front doors (or close to) of all residents of the USA, no matter where they live, no matter what the weather. FedEx and UPS deliver only the "cream" off the top--packages, which are easier to sort and handle and more profitable than any other type of mail.
    You are right about almost everything. USPS does not deliver or pick up at the front door of small communities. We have about 2000 people in our town and we must go to the P.O. to pick up our mail or to mail anything. Since most towns in Montana are comparable to mine, only about 1/2 the population of MT has home delivery. But I would agree with everything else you said.

Blog Entries
    Well, I just wish you luck if you're determined to downsize. As for me, my stash is large, but it will probably be just as large when I'm gone. I don't sew near as much as I used to, but I still get the urge to "create" something. I love those little urges. I just hope down the road you don't regret getting rid of your stash. I know I would.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandmama Pat
    Well, I just wish you luck if you're determined to downsize. As for me, my stash is large, but it will probably be just as large when I'm gone. I don't sew near as much as I used to, but I still get the urge to "create" something. I love those little urges. I just hope down the road you don't regret getting rid of your stash. I know I would.
    Very good advice.

Blog Entries
    I'm just know what's in my heart and I'd probably cry for weeks if I got rid of any of my stash. I tried it once when we moved to LA (lower Alabama) from Birmingham and I west inside for every piece I sold. I always have something in mind for every piece I buy.

Blog Entries
    Grandma Pat - I can really relate to your comments! When I buy fabric I always have a project in mind that I would like to do - whether I get to it is another story. I get bursts of creativity when looking at fabric at quilt stores but later, many times my energy and inspiration runs out at home. Life gets busy and the fabric gets stored in a box with other pieces. I, too, would be sad if I got rid of it though - I always feel that even though I have more fabric than I will ever use that I will get to it someday! :)

Blog Entries
    I know what you mean. "I'll get to that some day" is my motto. I do get some things done, but lots have been put on the back burner for a "rainy day." I used to go into my fabric room on a given morning to select my outfit to wear to work from the closet in that room, but had to quit doing that and move the clothes to another closet, because once I went into the fabric room, I didn't want to come out and I would then run late for work.

I love buying pre-cut fabric from ebay, send me a pm if you post yours there.

I like layer cakes, jelly rolls and 6" squares with a lot of variety.

for 6" squares I like to buy lots of 100+, I don't bother with smaller quantities.

But I also buy yardage and fat quarters if it is offered as a 'lot' with a bunch of different fabrics, especially if they coordinate.

see you now have 30 posts! whoohooo :)

Can't wait for you to post your fabrics!

Quote Originally Posted by raynhamquilter
    I think I have to wait 2 weeks to have the new member designation removed.

To bad I live in CA or I would be at your door right now.
    :-)

I would be interested depending on where in ohio you are.

Quote Originally Posted by DONK
    I would be interested depending on where in ohio you are.
    I'm near Canton.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by katied772
    New member designation goes away by itself when the two weeks are over. Your almost there!!!!!!!! I remember I hated having 'new member' on mine. I was so excited when I became a ?regular user?.

That's news to me I never looked at that. I better read my own stuff.
    :-)

Does anyone know why "a regular here" appears after some names but not after others?

Does anyone know why "a regular here" appears after some names but not after others?
    You have to post regularly. I believe it is an average of 20 posts per two week period. Not positive about that tho.

Thanks, Kaye. I'll have to put my 2 cents worth in more often. ;)

Blog Entries
    I think Kaye is right about the 2 wk period and 20 postings. You have to regularly post or you will lose the 'regular' status (that's my interpretation of what I read - can someone confirm?)

I will glad to see regualar here too.

Quote Originally Posted by katied772
    Your new member status is no longer there-are you going to be posting any fabrics soon? :-D

Definitely. Have family coming from out of town this coming week and been getting ready for that. Also trying to get things together for a garage sale the following week, so it will probably be the week after before I get to the fabric. There is so much fabric to go through. The thought of it is overwhelming. Not quite sure where to start. I have probably 20 or so fabrics that are multi yardages still on the bolts. Maybe I'll start with those.

Senior Member ClairVoyantQuilter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by costumegirl
    I think Kaye is right about the 2 wk period and 20 postings. You have to regularly post or you will lose the 'regular' status (that's my interpretation of what I read - can someone confirm?)
    hhmmm . . .mine still says "new user" even though I've racked up over a hundred posts since joining two weeks ago LOL

Where are you located in Ohio? Maybe I could help you clear your stash....... :) I'm in the Cleveland area.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast