Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Which is better...?

Quote Originally Posted by eastermarie View Post
    The quilts I've made so far, I have just hemmed. This will be the first quilt I have put a binding on. Thank you very much for your advice. I cut the binding strips the wof. Now I have to get up enough nerve to attach the binding. It scares me. That's why I brought the backing to the front and hemmed all the others. Wish me luck. THANKS AGAIN!
    I really appreciate your answering my question so quickly.
    Don't be too scared, the binding isn't all that bad. Do make sure to use a walking foot though if you have one, makes it much easier. I fthere isn't a tute here on the board, google it, many halpful ones out there.

my preference is WOF

I have 3 quilts waiting for me to put on the binding. I'm going to keep an eye on this thread.

Blog Entries
    LOF.
    I always cut my borders and binding LOF before I start cutting my pattern.

The video is great!!!! Thanks for posting it.

I've always done WOF, never tried LOF. I love doing the binding!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Blog Entries
    If you want fewer seams use the LOG. Some people say the bias is best because stitching hides better in the cross grain. I use all three ways depending on how much material I have. You state there is not enough fabric either way; well, how about making a scrap bindind from left over pieces of the quilt top. I love to do this. If you could post a pic you might get other suggestions. It usually takes about 3/4 - 1 yd to finish ( a few bucks if you need more fabric) a full/queen size quilt. How big is your quilt? Lots of ideas to reject here.

EDIT: I mis- read your post. You do have enough for either way. Please ignore me !
    peace
    Last edited by ube quilting; 05-27-2012 at 05:20 AM.
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    I've always used WOF and the last quilt I used LOF.

For first time out, I'm not happy with the results of the LOF, and think I would have had a nicer finish with the stretch that comes with WOF.

I'll be looking to see what others have to say ... so please keep in mind that my LOF is a one time only experience. (And yes, there may be other factors that play into it, though the borders were flat as a pancake before I started.)
    I have to say that I have had better luck with WOF, too. I like the little bit of stretch with it as well, as it seems a bit more forgiving than LOF. I only use LOF on borders where the pattern is large enough to look bad if it was seamed. Everything else I use WOF, and have never had a problem with too much stretch.

If the binding isn't striped, plaid, and checks, I cut on the WOF. If I have a stripe, etc...., I use the bias cuts because it adds another dimention the quilt. Love the bias!!!

I use LOF all the time unless I need a bias (for scallops and things like that) and have never had a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Dollyo View Post
    Binding is not scary once you learn the Sharon Schamber way. It's quick and easy and always turns out right. Here is the link to her video on Youtube - Binding the Angel. . Once I learned this way, I will never go back to the old way. I've bound round tree skirts, 60 degree angles, inside corners using this method. Good luck
    Dolly in MI
    Since I started using the above method, I have found that I LIKE to bind. There is such a feeling of accomplishment and if one follows her instructions carefully, it comes out perfectly. I prefer the wof, too, unless I am using stripes or plaids. Good luck.
    Alma
    Nami to 6

Thanks for the video. It sure makes it look easy! I'll need to get a bottle of Elmers. I wonder if JoAnn's has that narrow metal tip to go onto the glue bottle?

The first binding is always scary. It is really simple and easy. GO FOR IT.....

I always cut binding strips WOF and I cut them 2-3/4" and sew a 3/8" seam. I don"t always make mitered corners. I usually round my corners off, I like the way they hang from the corners of the bed. Of course, I don't enter any in shows. I just try to do what I like and to please myself.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I like to cut my borders LOF so I don't have to seam them in the middle. I will also cut my binding the same way since I have the fabric folded and ready for cutting the borders. I have had good luck cutting the binding either way.

I am getting ready to do some LOF because that is the way I cut my last border and I didn't buy
    extra to do the WOF, so will be interesting to see how it works out. Also trying to do the binding
    after making the top, so I don't use that fabric by mistake in another quilt and then I don't have
    enough for this quilt.

Even though LOF is easier, WOF is better, in my opinion...it allows just enough give to allow you to make small adjustments, should you need to.
    Marge

Which makes the better binding..wof or lof? I'm at a loss at the moment. I have enought fabric to cut it either way. I need the best results.
    Marge Campbell
    TL18LS/Qbot V3 automated quilter
    https://www.facebook.com/campbellsquiltingbymarge

Don't forget to use your walking foot to put the binding on with...it makes it go on smoother!

like everyone on here I love to use wof for bindings and the only time my walking foot is not on my machine is when the darning foot is on for fmq. I am actually getting ready to bind a quilt tonight or tomorrow. not sure when. Just have to see how I feel. (have to make up the binding too. hehe)
    when life gets you down go and talk with a little kid. They will help you work out even the worst problems with their simple logic.

So many wonderful responses. You Ladies are the BEST!

Thanks for the video. It sure makes it look easy! I'll need to get a bottle of Elmers. I wonder if JoAnn's has that narrow metal tip to go onto the glue bottle?
    Eastermarie, I got my narrow metal tip at Michael's. My Joann's didn't have it. Sometimes Walmart has them, also. Good luck.
    Alma
    Nami to 6

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2