Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Which is better...?

Which is better...?

Which makes the better binding..wof or lof? I'm at a loss at the moment. I have enought fabric to cut it either way. I need the best results.

Blog Entries
    Wof has a little more stretch than length. Either way is okay. You have more seams on wof, if that matters to you.

I've always used WOF and the last quilt I used LOF.

For first time out, I'm not happy with the results of the LOF, and think I would have had a nicer finish with the stretch that comes with WOF.

I'll be looking to see what others have to say ... so please keep in mind that my LOF is a one time only experience. (And yes, there may be other factors that play into it, though the borders were flat as a pancake before I started.)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Blog Entries
    I tend to prefer WOF but it's not a huge difference that I've seen.

I prefer WOF too. A little stretch helps with binding. You can even cut if a little on the bias and it works out well.

The quilts I've made so far, I have just hemmed. This will be the first quilt I have put a binding on. Thank you very much for your advice. I cut the binding strips the wof. Now I have to get up enough nerve to attach the binding. It scares me. That's why I brought the backing to the front and hemmed all the others. Wish me luck. THANKS AGAIN!
    I really appreciate your answering my question so quickly.

I've tried both ways and have concluded that I prefer WOF. Like others said that little bit of stretch helps.

If you want a lot of stretch do bias other than that I like wof

I always use WOF because of the stretch. I have used bias, but don't think I like that as well. I like to use LOF for borders sometimes if I have enough fabric. Then I add the leftovers to my stash. Don't be afraid of the binding, it gets easier the more you do it. I like binding the quilts--it means you are almost done.
    Sue

Power Poster
    I like to cut the binding on the bias. I think it wears better - and it goes around the corners better.

I use WOF and prefer it. Just go ahead and get started and you will get used to is, eastermarie.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    I like to cut the binding on the bias. I think it wears better - and it goes around the corners better.
    I agree. Not only the corners, but if there is a little too much or too little it "gives" to fit and lay flat.
    Sunnie
    a dog show & quilt addict
    www.buckhollow.net

Blog Entries
    WOF is my preference and also join the pieces with a 45 degree seam. I always make my binding as soon as I finish the top. That way I'm ready to sew it on as soon as I get it back from the LArs.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

I prefer the wof for table toppers for all the reasons mentioned and it is easier to cut straight, I think.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    I feel it uses less fabric for WOF binding......one can purchase 3/4 yard or so and cut up to 10 strips at 2.5" wide for binding.

To use LOF you would need more yardage to achieve the same length strips and then have fabric left over.

As one who often makes scrappy or multi-color quilts, I like being able to use fabrics from my stash as bindings -- and many of my stash cuts are less than 1 to 2 yards.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

We have used WOF and I have had great results binding. But it might make a difference that I prefer to hand finish the binding on the backside.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

Blog Entries
    I usually do lof there is less strech and not as many pieces to sew together.

I always use WOF with straight edges and bias if the edges have curves.

Most of the time I use bias fabric for the binding...mostly because I like plaids and stripes for binding and they look better on the bias. Otherwise, I use WOF for the binding...there is a little "give" to the fabric that you don't get if you cut LOF.

I like WOF. If you sew your strips together at a 45 degree angle, the seams are hardly noticeable.

Thanks for the encouragement! I'll sew the strips together on a 45 angle. I guess I had better cut an extra strip to allow for the extra fabric making those angle seams. I still have some of the binding fabric left over. It has to be quilted first. I will try and post a picture when I'm finished. I need it finished by June 7 for our next Quilting Guild meeting.

Blog Entries
    I don't use continuous binding so LOF is nice because I have no seams. For continuous binding I pieced WOF.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

Quote Originally Posted by EasyPeezy View Post
    I've tried both ways and have concluded that I prefer WOF. Like others said that little bit of stretch helps.
    Ditto from me.

Quote Originally Posted by EasyPeezy View Post
    I agree. It has just the right about of give (IMHO).
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Binding is not scary once you learn the Sharon Schamber way. It's quick and easy and always turns out right. Here is the link to her video on Youtube - Binding the Angel. . Once I learned this way, I will never go back to the old way. I've bound round tree skirts, 60 degree angles, inside corners using this method. Good luck
    Dolly in MI

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast