Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Beware of pattern!! >

Beware of pattern!!

Beware of pattern!!

Old 03-14-2014, 05:50 AM
Power Poster

I put a lot of my patterns in my EQ program but I doubt if I could put this pattern since mine is an older version. The reason I do it is to have a backup copy in case the pattern goes yo play "hide and go seek" !! Also, then I can put my fabrics I am using into the pattern and see if the color selection will work. Good Luck with your redesign !!
Old 03-14-2014, 06:12 AM

There is a download on the left column. Beautiful quilt.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:58 AM

why don't you contact kimberly. I have seen this pattern used as one of her road2ca quilt show classes and if she used it for that I would imagine it would have to work or everyone in the class would have been mad. I am sure kimberly could help you with any questions, there is a contact in uper right screen of her blog

http://www.kimberlyeinmo.com/category/studio-tour/
Old 03-14-2014, 08:09 AM

also there is some info about book corrections, don't see that particular name but there is info on the Lonestar that might help? http://www.kimberlyeinmo.com/wp-cont...-info-8523.pdf
Old 03-14-2014, 08:22 AM

It's a pretty pattern and looks correct to me. Can you post pictures of your fabric pieces and the tools you're using to cut the diamonds? There's two easy ways that I can see for this pattern to go wrong. I don't see any seam allowances (there's room for mistakes to happen here when cutting odd angles) and maintaining a perfect or near perfect 72* angle on the diamonds would be tricky at best without some sort of jig. It wouldn't take too many small errors to throw the whole thing off.
Rodney
Old 03-14-2014, 09:30 AM

The first thing I would check are the seam allowances where you joined the pairs of jelly roll strips together. If that was even slightly off and/or inconsistent, the center points of the diamonds will be off and they will not line up properly.

The entire quilt relies on the accuracy of that seam, but it's obviously much easier to check it BEFORE you cut the diamonds. Not sure how to advise you to fix it at this point if that's the source of your problem, sorry.

I see nothing wrong in the instructions at all, though she does 'assume' a ¼" seam allowance. Because the cuts are 45º, they should be fairly routine and easy to execute with almost any ruler.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:04 AM

I have not made this particular pattern but I made another one called diamond mine! not an easy thing for sure. I took it at our lqs before it closed. The biggest hint we were told is that you can't line up a diamond four patch like you do a regular four patch. You have to offset them by about quarter inch. I am unsure how to explain this better. If this does not make sense please let me know.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:29 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Reba'squilts View Post
I started attempting to sew my pieces together and they WOULD Not match up. I measured, measured checked everything to make sure I did not mess up the cutting.
The two stripped pieces will be difficult to piece together correctly because of the angles. What I would have to do is take two strips to the ironing board, then use a pin straight down through the seams on both, 1/4" from the edge. This will mean the edges of the strips are offset. I would then use a drop of Elmer's washable school glue in the seam allowance and iron that to "glue baste" the pieces together so that intersection will work out. This technique is not explained in the directions, but I think it's why this pattern is designated "skilled intermediate/advanced". If I can find a good tutorial on this, I will post it.

Edit: This isn't exactly the same, but it does show the offset that is necessary in order to match seams on diamond shapes:
http://six-white-horses.blogspot.com...-tutorial.html

Last edited by Prism99; 03-14-2014 at 10:32 AM.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:30 PM

Beautiful pattern but no I have not made it. BUT ran into similar issues with a baby quilt I made recently was was a free internet download. Very frustrating indeed. But the reality is, I guess it can happen with patterns we pay for also as I've seen many threads here recommending checking various sites for pattern corrections. Hope the other suggestions here make things work for you.
Old 03-15-2014, 04:39 AM

I want to thank everyone for their input. I think that I cut and joined correctly. I am taking all the cut pieces and making a quilt out of them. I think I came up with something that will look pretty good. I saved a couple of diamonds, and parts a&b to play with. I also may try to cut he pieces for one block out of paper and see what happens with the angles. My friend and I were really perplexed with this pattern! I wonder if my download messed something up. Thanks again.