Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Beware of pattern!! >

Beware of pattern!!

Beware of pattern!!

Old 03-15-2014, 08:10 AM

I pulled up the pattern, pretty but not something I would make - guess, I'm not that much into stars. I did read the instructions though and it seemed pretty straight forward - if it were a pattern I wanted to make, I would certainly give it a try. I do use Best Press/Starch on projects that I know will have bias edges. I make mostly scrappy quilts so I use a lot of Best Press/Starch on all my pieces, since I never know which way they will end up.

Good luck with your quilt, can't wait for you to post pictures of your finished quilt.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:10 AM

It looks pretty simple once you join the first section to the second, the you have a square to attach to other star squares. If you look at the sections, you are taking your diamonds cut from he stips, sewing them together for a four patch, adding the side triangle and then adding the next triangle to the other side. If you break down the square in the two sections visually, you can see how they all go together with no Y seams. There are only three pages of instruction in the PDF, are you missing one of the pages? If not, you have all of her instructions. Best wishes
Old 03-15-2014, 08:23 AM

that was a beautiful block' i would not be able to do that.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:59 AM

Patterns I have a tendacy to start out with a pattern and end up doing my own thing.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:41 AM

Kimberly Einmo is usually right on, but that pattern looks like it could be as difficult as the one I just finished. Since the block is for a swap I wanted it to be as close to perfect as I possibly could make it. The y seaming just about drove me over the edge, well to be truthful I've been over the edge for many years; but, I watched a video on youtube.com by Kaye Wood saved what sanity I have left. Since that I have decided that I will not do any stars that require a y seam and there many. So while I can certainly appreciate your frustration it seems like no matter how carefully you cut your pieces there will always be that one pattern that won't work. I always blame myself, you just proved that there could be another culprit.
Old 03-15-2014, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Reba'squilts View Post
I have embarked on a new project that I saw on this board. It is a quilt that was named jelly roll starburst by Kimberly E...forget the spelling of the last name. I thought that it was a nice looking quilt that I could use for my cancer quilt in June. I cut all of the pieces at home in January and have started to work on it in my RV. I am in Miami at this time. So...I started attempting to sew my pieces together and they WOULD Not match up. I measured, measured checked everything to make sure I did not mess up the cutting. I did not. My pieces are exactly as the pattern states. I complained to another quilter that is also staying at this campground. We sat for a long time with the pieces, pattern and measures. We finally agreed that there is no way this quilt can be made with these directions. So now, necessity being the mother of invention...I am creating another quilt using all the pieces that I have cut. So beware of free patterns. And big question...has anyone made this quilt? Did my instruction get messed up in the download? Thanks for reading. I will post a picture of what I come up with for this quilt! Frustrating!
I don't know if this will be any help in the future. I always make a block first to see if I can make it.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:36 PM

I agree mistakes can happen but when people are informed they should print corrections.
My friend ended up following a pattern from a magazine and ended up cutting far too many for a king size quilt. Informed mag and they didn't even apologise or put corrections.
This is a quilter who can only follow directiOns and does it very well. Any mistakes and she is in trouble.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:42 AM

Here is a link to a thread I posted last year. http://www.quiltingboard.com/links-r...t-t218052.html If you scroll down, you will find some links I added to her website, as well as comments from somebody who was doing one, having trouble, and after going to those links was able to complete the project.

Here is a link to her finished quilt: http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...y-t227475.html

For what it's worth, it's not just free patterns that this happens with. In the current Jo Morton Little Women Club, at least four of the patterns have errors. Some of them have corrections listed on here website, some not. It is so annoying to pay for the pattern, but the fabric and find out that there is no way for it to work!

Last edited by peaceandjoy; 03-16-2014 at 03:47 AM.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:23 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sunny42539 View Post
I don't know if this will be any help in the future. I always make a block first to see if I can make it.
Yes this! I must admit also cutting for a whole quilt to make my own kit to take along because I was going some where. Fortunately I have not run into any problems but your experience reminds me to make a test block.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:22 AM

I made this pattern for my granddaughter and had no problems. Made a beautiful quilt.
Attached Thumbnails tessa-quilt-1.jpg