Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
beyer border prints - help? >

beyer border prints - help?

beyer border prints - help?

Old 09-06-2015, 06:16 AM

My only thought was, to take out 5 or 6 stitches in the middle of what you consider an error (I think it is beautiful and no one would ever notice! We are our worse enemies). Jiggle just that little bit ad see if you can make it more pleasing to you. If there is a saggy bit, put that on the bottom when you resew. Might help!
Old 09-06-2015, 06:30 AM
Power Poster

I have never pieced such an intricate border like yours before. First one looks good so what you have done, just be sure to repeat it exactly.
Old 09-06-2015, 06:30 AM

I made a Paddle Wheel quilt, the inside out log cabin. The outside of the 12 1/2 inch block is totally bias. The corners had a seam which need to go exactly into the corner when the sashing was on.

I laid my 12 1/2 ruler on my ironing board, drew around it with a pigma pen and made lines radiating out for the extension of the corners. I laid the block on that with the seams exactly in the corners and pinned them down Then I spray starched well, let it set a moment, and ironed it dry. My seams turned out perfectly into the corners.

I had muslin on my ironing board, but if you don't want to mark up your ironing board cover, lay freezer paper on it, mark on the freezer paper, and when you are finished it comes right off.
Old 09-06-2015, 06:37 AM

I finally really looked hard again (after rereading your original post) and found what you were talking about in the mitered corners. Those two corners were so "un-noticable" it took a long while to find it.
But I understand it now. I think Bearisgrey has the correct answer in saying to cut each piece separately. Good luck, and your piece is beautiful.
Old 09-06-2015, 06:57 AM

Jinny Beyer designs the most gorgeous fabrics around, but they can be daunting to work with. Check The Quilt Pattern Magazine for tips from their editors. Earlier this year there were a number of tips for working with Jinny's border prints. I love them and have many in my stash, but sometimes they scare me. Cut them the wrong way, use them the wrong way and you have a mish mash. There was a pattern in TQPM called "Jewels of the Orient" and I was sure that the Jinny Beyer border prints would work fantastically. Posed the question to the editors of the magazine and was told straight out where I could run into big trouble. That is the honesty I want and so Jinny's border prints are waiting for another project.
Old 09-06-2015, 07:27 AM

I don't see the "imperfect ones" they look just great to me.
Old 09-06-2015, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by sewwhat85 View Post
I do not think fabric is printed exact enough to get it closer to perfect than you already have it . Looks great
That's what I was thinking - not all fabric is perfectly printed.
Old 09-06-2015, 07:57 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Bree123 View Post
It took me a minute to see the one miter. If I weren't putting it in a show, I wouldn't bother to fix it... but since you asked:

I'm sure you've already watched this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNPOkcyrMSg

Jinny says the block doesn't need to be perfectly square. The trick is to line up the center of your border strip with the exact center of the block & then mark the 1/4" points on both your border & block. It looks like you may have needed to ease in a bit of the block in that section in order for your points to match up.
Thanks for posting that link to the video - - because that's how I've cut things when i wanted an "exact" match for the pieces - by laying the first cut piece on the others as a "pattern/template" for the rest of the pieces.
Old 09-06-2015, 08:39 AM

What a beautiful block, both the pattern and the colors! Please keep posting pictures of your progress!
Old 09-06-2015, 11:39 AM

I think it looks great, but what if you placed one of those little yellow flowers in the center of your block edge before you cut? Wouldn't that make the corners all the same? I think you are being just a tad fussy, but I understand your thoughts. Think about how t is going to pull up just a little bit when its quilted. Also look at those blocks again tomorrow and you will probably be happier with them.