Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bias Against Hand-Quilters? >

Bias Against Hand-Quilters?

Bias Against Hand-Quilters?

Old 09-20-2008, 09:39 AM

Here is the link to Jinny Beyer who has become very well known for her hand piecing.

http://www.jinnybeyer.com/quilttips/tip21.cfm

Old 09-20-2008, 09:55 AM

Some quilt shop owners seem to forget who their customers are! If you're buying fabric, what difference does it make how you're sewing? Personally, I take my hat off to all of you who hand piece & quilt!! My hands just don't work well enough to do that. :D
My first quilt class - which I still attend 15 years later :wink: - is an adult education class, and the new students are still started out with hand sewing & quilting only. After they've been quilting for a while, it's their choice what project to do. So now, we have hand quilters & machines all working together! What a concept, huh? :wink: :lol:
Old 09-20-2008, 10:34 AM

I am also a hand quilter, although I do some piecing by machine. I agree with you that it is nicer to sit with everyone working on your quilter, rather than to be off on your own. Another way hand quilter is nice, is that it's portable. I substitute teach and always have quilting projects with me.

Janie
Old 09-20-2008, 01:47 PM

Thanks all!
Old 09-20-2008, 04:31 PM
Power Poster

I think it is WONDERFUL that you do it all by hand. Be proud that you have the talent. I can only put my tops together with a machine because I lack that special talent.

SMILE and hold your head up.

Anne
Old 09-20-2008, 04:56 PM

Krazy quilter I read this thread earlier, and I couldn't believe how rude that quilt store owner was to you. Before I turned to machine earlier this year all my projects where hand sewn, but now that you mention the lack of classes ect. there certainly seems to be "a bias".

It's so sad really, very nearly a dying art. That's so awful to think that there are people out there not just pushing ahead, but forcefully pushing back on the past. UGH! :shock:
Old 09-20-2008, 05:05 PM
Power Poster

I am so jealous of you ! Wish I could hand quilt. You are so correct about it being relaxing and being able to do it with company without all the noise of a machine or being sent to another room by yourself. Shame on the shop owner :x Bet she doesn't have the patience or skill fro hand quilting !
Old 09-20-2008, 06:25 PM

I appreciate all your comments. I do not pretend to be some great quilter, I stick to simple patterns and am pretty new at it. I do want to say that although this shop owner left something to be desired her shop itself was absolutely fabulous! It's a very charming shop off the beaten path of the Minnesota North Shore and has the biggest selection I have ever seen. If only she would ease up! :) If I am ever up there again I will definitely go back. Man, now I have visions of fabric bolts dancing in my head!!! Maybe I will have to make a little visit to my local shop tomorrow for a fix! :)
Old 09-20-2008, 06:27 PM

Location: other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia

The sales person probably couldnt see past the dollar signs she was seeing envisioning the machine she could sell to you...
I am only a newbie and have started with machine quilting but i am seriously considering starting to handquilt something as like you said it is nice to be able to sit on the lounge with your hubby and watch tv.
Maybe you could put up a notice in her shop for likeminded handquilters to join you and see how much interest you get.....
Old 09-20-2008, 07:00 PM

Just posted 3 that I finished the last couple weeks in the pic section. Take a look!