Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bias Against Hand-Quilters? >

Bias Against Hand-Quilters?

Bias Against Hand-Quilters?

Old 09-20-2008, 07:02 PM

oooh, I like the idea of putting up a notice at her shop....our lqs has a board that we can post just about anything quilting related on. i love it....lets everyone know when quilt shows are, other vendors in the area, etc.

I'm sorry that you had this experience...there's room for all types of quilters in this art form. I'm a little surrised there is such bias against hand quilters. I hand quilt but tend to piece by machine. I've had people judge me because I didn't do the entire thing by hand...people who thought it was terrible to put bias on by machine on the side you don't even see :lol: it takes all kinds :roll:

Rest easy....no quilt police here. Besides, there are a ton of shop owners who would LOVE to snatch you right up....even out here on the web if you don't have local options. Best wishes and happy sewing!
Old 09-21-2008, 12:04 PM

Having been in the quilt "industry" and attended a few seminars for quilt shop owners/teachers...

Hand quilters are not nearly as "profitable" as machine piecers/quilters. It takes a lot longer to make each quilt, so they don't usually buy as much fabric as a machine quilter. Statistically, hand quilters don't accumulate as large a fabric stash as machine quilters, neither do they make as many impulse purchases. They don't often buy the sewing machines and accessories and specialty gadgets. Many hand quilters use scissors instead of rotary cutters (mats, cutters, blades, rulers), so those sales are lost. Also, hand quilters don't buy as many books and patterns.

Many quilt shops stay profitable ONLY because of their machine quilting services.

It is in the best financial interest of the quilt shop to get you sewing MANY quilts - repeat business, fast turnover, and using as many specialty tools and books as possible.

I like hand piecing and quilting, too!
Old 09-21-2008, 12:13 PM

I love to hand quilt my quilts. I love the look of hand quilting.

As for hand- sewing, I really admire you for being able to do a whole quilt that way. Amazing stuff!

I sew day time on my machine and then at night when I like the quiet times I hand quilt a recently finished quilt top or applique ( like my chicken quilt). I like the balance!

If you were in a quilt store the lady was probably thinking , "I could sell you more fabric if you used a sewing machine!" Some people are motivated by money! As for me? I think it is terrific there are people who do all their sewing by hand!

Lori
Old 09-21-2008, 01:14 PM

I never really thought about it that way. That's a good point. Maybe she got so caught up in making money that she lost her true love for the art. She did make some gorgeous quilts, though! :)
Old 09-21-2008, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Chele
I bow to hand piecers and quilters! Everything you make looks beautiful. I am green with envy of your hand sewing skills. Keep sewing, girl! You know it looks gorgeous!
Chele said it all, no better words I can think of. You keep sewing Girl, Wish I could make those little uniform stiches, My Mom could, such tiny straight uniform stiches, Mine :lol: :lol: :lol: You don't want to see believe me. Bill's BonBon
Old 09-21-2008, 04:59 PM

All of my quilt tops I have put together by hand ( with the exception of my Irish Chain that I did last month) and I do my quilting by hand. Hand quilting is a dying Art and I am proud to be one in a small group of quilters that is keeping the art alive because we love it and there are a lot of people out there that would rather pay good money for a hand quilted quilt than a machine quilted one and then you have people like that person at the quilt shop that does not appreciate the beauty of HANDMADE.

So girl be proud of your work because is beautiful.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:30 AM

Every time I sit and hand quilt this little hand appliqued wall hanging I have been working on for about 5 years, I say to my DH - I couldn't even imagine quilting a queen size quilt by hand.

I totally admire everyone who hand quilts, and those who hand piece are amazing as well!!
Old 09-22-2008, 09:01 AM

Because I always try to find the bright side :D :D :D ....Maybe this shop keeper had been beat up by a hand quilter who doesn't think machining is real...you never know!! Maybe she's just on the defensive all the time. I wish I could do the hand work, actually I've never tried, but know my own limitations, and patience is definately one of them...so until I am really comfortable with what I consider the easier way (for me its machine because I see results quicker), hand work will have to wait :lol: For now I only dream. You keep doing whatever makes you happy, after all, that's the whole point, right???? Kudos to you :D :D :D
Old 09-26-2008, 12:30 PM

I began as a hand quilter and piecer. I now generally sew on machine and hand quilt now. I've quilted a few by machine but, I like you enjoy the experience of hand quilting. And I like the stitches to be not perfect, it seems more homey to me. I don't like the huge stitches that are in most of the boughten Hand Made quilts. My mother in law could get nine stitches on a needle but I'm lucky to get five. People have asked me if I would think about selling my quilts and I always say," no one has enough money." I've made about sixty over the past 30 years and I have given all but four away. I have to admit since I started machine piecing it goes much faster but I can never sew a curve as well by machine as I can by hand.When my kids were little and into activities I was fortunate to get a quilt made every couple years. I too wish they had a class of hand quilting, I did a sampler once with a group and we did one square a week and it was so much fun to see the others.
when I don't have a quilt to work on while watching TV I feel lazy. You go girl, everyone appreciates an hand pieced and quilted quilt, but few of us take the time to do them.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:47 PM

I have great admiration for hand quilters. It takes dedication and patience that most of us (me especially) cannot even dream up... Not to mention the end results are so obviously stitched with love and thoughtfulness.
Maybe that shopkeeper is just unable to comprehend why ANYONE would want to take that kind of time to do something. Just keep up the good work, and know that many of us bow to your talent, hardwork, and dedication.